Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:37:55 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 351
Total: 352

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Almost Half of HIV Population in United States is "Undetectable"  (Read 2778 times)

Offline Ptrk3

• Global Moderator
Good news from CDC:

From the July 27th, 2017, edition of POZ Magazine:

Summary:

"At long last, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has updated its estimates for key measures of the United States’ control of the HIV epidemic. An important new surveillance report issued by the federal agency estimates that out of the 1.1 million people living with the virus in 2014, 85 percent were diagnosed, 62 percent had been linked to medical care, 48 percent were retained in regular medical care and 49 percent had a fully suppressed viral load, also known as being undetectable."

Link to story:

https://www.poz.com/article/nearly-50-percent-people-hiv-us-undetectable
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Re: Almost Half of HIV Population in United States is "Undetectable"
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2017, 02:11:13 pm »
Its an improvement that is good, that said both in the US and EU (EEA) still a long way to go to reach the 90-90 goals.

From an outsiders point of view, I would say cheaper and more affordable medication is needed & healthcare and I wonder if the rate of people being treated and UD will go down as result of Trump ?... I hope not, but time will tell on that one.

The EU does do sightly better but not as well as perhaps expected.

EEA: In 2015, 29 747 new HIV infections were diagnosed in the EU/EEA, and the rate of new infections has not declined significantly over the last decade. An estimated 810 000 persons were living with HIV in the EU/EEA in 2015

It is estimated that 83% of people diagnosed with HIV are on treatment, from the group on on treatment 89% are virally suppressed. (Looking at diagnosed + undiagnosed) approximately 63% estimated to be living with HIV have achieved viral suppression

http://ecdc.europa.eu/en/publications/Publications/Status-of-HIV-response-in-EU-EEA-2016-30-jan-2017.pdf
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
Re: Almost Half of HIV Population in United States is "Undetectable"
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2017, 07:15:45 pm »
I wonder if the rate of people being treated and UD will go down as result of Trump ?... I hope not, but time will tell on that one.
Unfortunately  :P we really can't blame our healthcare issues on #45. Our Congress is at fault! Seven plus years and the Republicans can't come up with a plan to HELP citizens (who aren't the 1%). Of course, some of the blame ;D lies on the Democrats for giving up single payer and co-opting the Republican plan (through Romney, Nixon, and the Heritage Foundation) to create the ACA. The Republicans have found they just can't out-conservative their own conservative healthcare plan....all they can do is screw it up just to be bitchy to the Dems.

I've been trying to rouse as many as possible to advocate against the Republican catastrophe because quite frankly, I don't want to have AIDS again. I had it for a damned decade and when it wasn't trying to kill me, it left me f*ing miserable. IF the Republican plan block grants Medicaid or cuts Medicaid, there a good possibility I could love access to meds. We already had 3 people die in my state of South Carolina during the great ADAP waiting list crisis of 2011, I can only imagine the death toll when ADAP is slashed in this poor, red, rural, Cheeto-loving southern state.   ::)

My ASS is really kicking up worrying about this crap
(AIDS Survivor Syndrome http://letskickass.org/aids-survivor-syndrome/ )

but, Yeah! for America almost getting half of our pozzies to UD! Even if things fall apart, this is a great achievement. Hopefully we'll be able to improve this quality measure as time goes on ;)

oh! Some of this year's CDC stats show that our infection rate is down to 37000-something. That's great news too after being stuck at the 50K+ level for so many years.
https://www.hiv.gov/blog/new-hiv-infections-drop-18-percent-in-six-years
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.