Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:51:36 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 389
Total: 392

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Worried bout my Test Accuracy and HIV status .  (Read 11030 times)

Offline alibaba336699

Worried bout my Test Accuracy and HIV status .
« on: November 01, 2009, 11:31:33 am »
Hi all,

I’m very worried bout my HIV status. My previous encounter was with a sex worker from China in a Spa Health Centre. We had sex and after ejaculation, I rested for 30 seconds and I was shocked when I pulled out my penis, the condom wasn’t there (My eraction softens). The sw was shocked too and she went seeking for the condom. Luckily, she got hold to the condom that was just on the surface of her vagina (which proves that my penis was still in the condom while having sex with her.

I was worried bout this encounter and went to a local clinic for a blood test (just after 4 days). The results shown HIV non reactive but to my surprise I’ve got tested positive for HSV2 genital herpes.

Question:

1) Do you think that I should be worried of contracting HIV?
2) As this was the first time I did blood test (I’m 28years old), Do you think i’ve contracted herpes from this encounter or from my previous encounters?
3) I’ve asked my wife to do blood test and the result will be out tomorrow. If she was tested positive for herpes, does that proves that I’ve contracted herpes from the previous encounter and not this one ? and thus it will rule out all possibilities of me contracting HIV?
4) The doctor that I consulted told me that:
   a) Sex workers from high class SPA are usually clean (from HIV) and they 
                have blood test almost every month.
   b) Assuming that my penis was exposed to the sw’s vagina, I would still be
                safe from HIV as I was tested negative. His reason was although it was still
                within the ‘window period’, the latest ELISA is a very sensitive product that 
                will detect the very minimal of HIV antibody. If it somehow manages to
                detect some antibody, the results will definitely be ‘undefined’. IS THAT       
               TRUE ?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: Worried bout my Test Accuracy and HIV status .
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 12:43:11 pm »
ali,

1. No. You were NOT at risk for hiv infection. You wore a condom and were protected. As you yourself noted, the fact that she recovered the condom so easily points to the fact that it slipped off as you withdrew, not before. We see this kind of thing ALL the time here and not one person has ever tested positive as a result - I don't expect you to be the first.

You're supposed to hold on to the base of the condom when you withdraw so this kind of thing doesn't happen. When it does, it's more a risk for pregnancy and STIs other than hiv for the receptive partner than it is for the fella. Read through all three condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use them properly in future.

2. Four days is too soon for the hsv test to pick up a recent infection, so it's likely to be older. You need to know that you don't necessarily get hsv2 on your genitals and you don't necessarily get hsv1 on your mouth. They can both go the other way around and they both can be present without having symptoms. If you have further herpes questions, please see your doctor as we only concentrate on hiv in this forum.

3. Your wife's hsv test will prove nothing one way or the other, whether she tests positive or negative. Herpes is one of THE most common viruses out there - something like 80% of the population will test positive for hsv1 and somewhat lower numbers will test positive for hsv2. There is plenty of information about hsv on the internet - just make sure you go to reputable medical sites. And talk to your doctor.

4.a. For a start, it's rude to describe someone's hiv status as being "clean". It implies that those of us who live with hiv infection are dirty somehow. Please let your doctor know this. As long as you're using a condom when you frequent sex workers, it doesn't matter what their hiv status is as condoms have been PROVEN to prevent hiv infection.

4.b. If you actually had unprotected intercourse and therefore had a risk, four days will tell you nothing about that encounter. The earliest one should test following a true risk is six weeks, as the vast majority of people who have actually been infected will seroconvert and test positive by then. A six week negative must be confirmed at the three month point - where there has been a risk.  You did NOT have a risk.

You can continue to test over this NO RISK incident if you feel you must for your own peace of mind, but don't be surprised by your negative result. Medically speaking, you do NOT need further testing. You ARE hiv negative and that's not going to change in relation to this incident.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline alibaba336699

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 02:24:16 pm »
Hi Ann / Readers,

First of all, please accept my sincere apology for writing / commenting or using the word “CLEAN” in my previous post. I’m sure you guys understood what I really meant. Perhaps my English was not good and I used the wrong word. I am sorry.

Hi Ann,

Before your reply, I would describe myself as tensed, freaked out / not in the correct state of mind and I cannot describe how relived I am now after reading your post. While waiting for a reply from this forum, I did something really crazy and I visited the same sw to ask her bout the incident. She was hundred percent sure that she recovered the condom from the outer side of her vagina and effortlessly. She told me that women will know immediately if the condom slipped off in the vagina during intercourse. Is this true?
(Sorry for asking this stupid question. I need to know as I am really inexperience in all this)

I did not have sex with anyone other than my wife 3 days prior to this incident so please tell me whether I can assume that I am HIV negative and I only need to do another blood test in 3 months (just to make sure). And of course in this 3 months with the condition that I would not have sex with any outsider.   

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 02:30:59 pm »
If there was a test for guilt you would probably get a result that was off-the-charts. That's what often happens when a partner goes straying.

As Ann has already told you, nothing you have reported suggests that you were in anyway at risk for HIV transmission. If you decide to get tested it is totally only for your peace of mind.

As for the guilt, you're not doing your wife any favor nor demonstrating any higher moral authority by bothering yourself with guilt. You did what you did. Do everyone a favor, let it go and get on with your life.

Cheers.
Andy Velez

Offline alibaba336699

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2009, 11:13:17 am »
Hi Ann / Andy,

I've just got the reading from my wife blood test results.

VDRL - Nonreactive
THPA - Negative
CHLAMYDIA - 2.9
Herpes 1 - 130 units/ML
Herpes 2 - 127 units/ML
HIV 1 & 2 - NONREACTIVE

Think about what i told you. I have sex with my wife 3 days prior to that incident, How could that be possible? If i capture herpes from my previous encounter, then my wife should be tested positive for herpes!!

Does that means that i got it from the sw i visited from this recent incident? Do you think its possible if i could be contracted by HIV too ? I am freaking out .. Please help me !!!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2009, 11:19:36 am »
ali,

I've already told you that it's extremely unlikely you got hsv from the sex worker. You tested four days after the encounter and that was far too soon for hsv to show up if you were infected with hsv from the sex worker. You've probably had it for years, and your wife too.

Stop freaking out. You were NOT at risk for hiv infection.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline alibaba336699

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2009, 11:30:31 am »
Hi Ann,

Sorry for kept on pestering you buy i really don't get it!! My wife is clean from any STDs period. Can i know the reason why my wife is clean from those STDs when i (assuming that i've got it for years) have unprotected sex with her everytime (i never use condom with her, never ever)?

Today, i visited 2 doctors. One agreed with u guys saying that the herpes cannot be detected so soon but another one told me that it may if someone's immune system is very low. I am confused now!!

Ann / Andy,

Please explain it to me as i am very scared. And also, can you please explain to me what you meant about your previous statement "You're supposed to hold on to the base of the condom when you withdraw so this kind of thing doesn't happen. When it does, it's more a risk for pregnancy and STIs other than hiv for the receptive partner than it is for the fella."

Thanks and advance and sorry for being so irritating ...

Offline Tim Horn

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2009, 12:37:58 pm »
Alibaba:

Think about what i told you. I have sex with my wife 3 days prior to that incident, How could that be possible? If i capture herpes from my previous encounter, then my wife should be tested positive for herpes!!

I understand you're nervous, but contacting me via PM and asking that I chime in with comments isn't helping matters.

Fact is, being seropositive for HSV-2 doesn't mean that you definitely would have passed the virus on to your wife. Your immune system is probably in such good control of the infection that you rarely, if ever, "shed" the virus in your genital secretions. That's good news, but you should still take this information seriously and consider having protected sex with your wife going forward to prevent transmission of HSV-2 if you do start the shed the virus.

I have nothing else to add to Andy's and Ann's sage words of advice and feedback. I'm not reading anything to be concerned about, with respect to HIV, and I sincerely hope you'll move beyond this. Your concern is not HIV, but rather guilt and HSV-2 infection that happened long before the more recent incident with the "Spa Health Center" sex worker.

Tim Horn

Offline Nestor

• What we love, we shall grow to resemble.
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2009, 02:07:42 pm »
Sorry--I was not aware of that!
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 02:28:35 pm by Nestor »
Summer 2004--became HIV+
Dec. 2005--found out

Date          CD4    %       VL
Jan. '06    725    25      9,097
Nov. '06    671    34     52,202
Apr. '07    553    30      24,270
Sept. '07  685    27       4,849
Jan. '08    825    29       4,749
Mar. '08    751    30     16,026
Aug. '08    653    30       3,108
Oct. '08     819    28     10,046
Jan '09      547    31     13,000
May '09     645   25        6,478
Aug. '09    688   30      19,571
Nov. '09     641    27       9,598
Feb. '10     638    27       4,480
May '10      687      9    799,000 (CMV)
July '10      600     21      31,000
Nov '10      682     24     15,000
June '11     563    23     210,000 (blasto)
July  '11      530    22      39,000
Aug '11      677     22      21,000
Sept. '12    747     15      14,000

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2009, 02:22:48 pm »
Nestor, you need to know that only those who are authorized to do so are supposed to be responding in this section of the Forums. While your good intentions are appreciated, please follow our rule.

Thanks for your cooperation.
Andy Velez

Offline alibaba336699

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2009, 03:49:50 pm »
Hi Ann / Andy,

I'm trying my very best to get over it ... but this incident still kept on coming back to my mind. Can i ask u a question ??

IF i was using condom and the condom slipped towards the end and i ejaculated in her. Am i at very high risk ?? Please revert ... I know you guys mentioned that its very difficult for a lady to transmit HIV to a guy but what are the possibilities in it?

Thanks in advance ... 

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2009, 04:07:20 pm »
We don't deal in what ifs here. That's a slippery slope that is never good to be on.

The manner in which your condom came off is something that happens commonly. Because of how it remained in the woman's vagina it's clear that you were in fact covered throughout intercourse.

If it had slipped off during intercourse you would likely have become aware of it. Yes, there would have been a risk, but a low one since you would have been protected until it slipped. And it is significantly harder to transmit HIV from female to male.

But it didn't happen so once again you are worrying needlessly. If you continue to come back here about this non-risk situation you are going to get yourself a Time Out for 28 days. All of this is unnecessary drama on your part, bascially caused by guilt and anxiety over having strayed. That's the REAL issue in this situation. Get over it and get on with your life. Really.
Andy Velez

Offline alibaba336699

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2009, 04:45:53 pm »
Hi Andy,

Thanks for your quick feedback. One final question .. Do you think i should have a re-test on elisa or I SHOULD JUST GET ON WITH MY LIFE?

Also, just need a confirmation. In order not to be transmitted with HIV, all i have to do is to use protection each and every time i have sex with anyone. Even if there is any slippage or breakages, the risk will be very very minimal, Am i right ??

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2009, 05:52:17 pm »
THere is no science-based risk reason for testing. If you decide to get tested it's strictly for your peace of mind and you have to decide if that is necessary or not.

That's right. Use condoms everytime for intercourse. Even with a break or a slip the risk would be minimal.

End of story. Move on now. Really.
Andy Velez

Offline alibaba336699

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2009, 05:05:30 am »
Hi all,

Just need some info about ARS. I read that ARS symtoms only shows on week 2-4. Is that true? Does that means that it wont occurs on week 5 or 6 or so forth ? And also one should only be worried if all symtoms hits a person at one go and last for a week or so right?

Fina question, If i never experience any signs of ARS Does that means that i am safe from the virus? I know u guys told me that i was never at risk; just wanted to make sure before going for a re-test on week 6 to make my transformation complete. WILL NEVER PUT MYSELF INTO ANY RISK AGAIN !!!

Despite all the comments and advice from Ann and Andy, I am still worried and i believe its normal. Thank you Andy and Ann for your tremendous contribution to this forum. Without all those important infos, i believe more ppl will have unnecessary worries over non risk incident etc etc ...

** I really hope scientists all around the world will soon find a cure for those infected with HIV ** 

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2009, 08:00:24 am »

If i never experience any signs of ARS Does that means that i am safe from the virus?

Ali,

Your comment I quoted is a big part of the reason why we do not concentrate on symptoms here. NOT EVERYONE EXPERIENCES ARS SYMPTOMS WHEN THEY HAVE BEEN INFECTED. Websites that concentrate on symptoms are doing everyone a disservice because it leads people into a false sense of security when they've been engaging in risky behaviours, but never feel ill. I know far more positive people who do not remember anything like an ARS illness than I do people who remember being ill.

For people who do  experience ARS, it is true that it happens 2-4 (more usually 2-3) weeks following infection and it's also true that they happen all at once and go all at once.

However, you did NOT have a risk for hiv infection. You can test again for peace of mind if you want, but don't be surprised by your negative results.

You will not be permitted to use this forum to go on and on about this no risk incident. If you read the Welcome Thread before posting like you're supposed to, you will have read the following posting guideline:

Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Please consider yourself warned!

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2009, 08:05:38 am »
First of all, neither the presence nor the absence of symptoms will ever tell you anything accurately about HIV status. Only an HIV test taken at the proper time will give a reliable answer. If there has been a genuine risk a negative result at 13 weeks is considered to be definitive.

ARS symptoms, if they appear at all, simply resemble too many other illnesses to be a reliable indication of infection.   

Like Ann, I will remind you that we cannot see from what you have reported that you had a risk at all. If you decide to get tested to receive the inevitable negative result that is strictly for your peace of mind. 
Andy Velez

Offline alibaba336699

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2009, 02:20:26 am »
Hi Ann / Andy,

Can i know some info about ARS? I've read the below statement from a reliable website. It goes "In general, symptoms of HIV are usually NOT PRESENT when a person becomes initially infected.  One to two months after infection, however, a person may have enlarged lymph nodes (in the neck and groin), fever, headache, and feel tired.  Because these symptoms resemble the flu and pass after a week or month, these symptoms alone are often mistaken for other illness(es). "

Question 1) The flu / fever mentioned; Is that a normal flu (running nose) / low fever or are we talking about serious flu (as in sneezing and excessive mucus etc) and High abnormal fever?

Question 2) Can we actually feel / know our lymph nodes if it's swollen? Will the swell be so huge that it's impossible for us to miss??

Thanks for your reply .. just curious !!1

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2009, 07:30:01 am »
The flu-like symptoms are called that just because they will resemble having the flu. There is a rash which sometimes accompanies ARS. It's on flat, doesn't itch and may appear on the trunk and arms of the body. All of the symptoms come and go at the same time. They are not always dramatic enough to be noticed at the time.

The average time to seroconversion is 22 days. All but the smallest number of those who are going to seroconvert will do so within 4-6 weeks after an exposure.

Because the symptoms including swollen nodes are ones which resemble other illnesses, they are never a reliable means of determing HIV status. Swollen nodes vary in size and are never something you ought to be feeling or squeezing. They are very sensitive to the touch and handling them can cause a greater problem. Swollen nodes are something to discuss with you doctor, not something for you to squeeze and press, all to no good purpose.
Andy Velez

Offline alibaba336699

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2009, 07:43:26 am »
Hi Andy,

I see .. And the rash will be all over the body and it's always noticeable right? It would be something like a patch of rashes on your arms / body parts am i right? What about night sweats? Is it something chinese called 'cold sweats'? It happens when ure afraid of something or having goose bumps !! Under what circumstance can we call it night sweats ? sweats even in an air-con room at night?

Sorry to disturd andy, but this is going to be my last post !!! Thanks man for your kind advice and assistance in this issue !!!

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2009, 07:59:56 am »
No, the rash is a flat, non-itchy rash on the TRUNK and ARMS of the body, not "everywhere."

The night sweats are dramatic if they occur. They drench the sheets with perspiration.

I want to emphasize again that with many they are less severe and it is only with a subsequent positive test result that someone recalls when the symptoms may have occured.

Neither the presence nor the absence of symptoms will ever tell you about your status accurately. When there has been a real risk testing is the only reliable source.
Andy Velez

Offline alibaba336699

« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2009, 01:55:44 am »
Hi Andy / Ann,

I am still waiting for 6 weeks to test so that i can get a conclusive results. I know you guys were assuring me that a negative HIV test as an inevitable results for me. "I PRAY TO GOD IT'S TRUE".

Just wanted to share something with you guys ... I've got a minor sore throat, not diarrhea cause it's not frequent (but my passing was watery), no fever but my neck aches. No rashes were traced and i guess that sounds good. Don't think i experience night sweats. I've not put myself doing any sex acts until everything's clear and dusted. Really hope it's not ARS. I am quietly confident with the backing from you guys (saying that i've got no risk) but still cannot ruled out the possibilities what if i were to contract HIV. I am  celebrating my birthday today with my family today but i'm not / will not entirely happy till i get a conclusive negative results. God bless me ... 

Offline alibaba336699

« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2009, 02:01:56 am »
Forgot to mention, I've got running nose. Not sure if i could classified it as Flu ..

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2009, 05:24:50 am »
ali,

What part of "symptoms mean nothing" do you not understand?

I've already warned you about repeatedly posting over a no risk situation. If you feel unwell, see a doctor. We cannot help you with your headcold here.

This is your last warning.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline alibaba336699

« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2009, 07:35:28 am »
Hi Ann,

Don mean to be disrespectful to you; but i aint posting for fun. I am updating whatever happened to me and asking for your opinion. IF YOU THINK thats bothering you then i think i should say I'm Sorry. And you don't have to post anything if you think it's bullshit.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2009, 08:02:22 am »
Ali,

Re-read your entire thread. We've repeatedly given you our opinion. No list of symptoms you post is going to change our risk assessment as symptoms have nothing to do with risk assessment. Our answers are not going to change.

I'm giving you that time out I warned you about. Do not attempt to create a new account to get around your time out because if you do, you will be permanently banned.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.