Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 01:50:03 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37634
  • Latest: Hope007
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66329
  • Online Today: 225
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 199
Total: 199

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Well hello Mother Nature...  (Read 4920 times)

Offline rondrond

• 22 years HIV+ yet a yard could be the death of me
Well hello Mother Nature...
« on: April 12, 2011, 11:09:01 am »
We had a freak storm the other day...winds to 81 mph...

I had just  mowed and trimmed neighbors yard and our front yard yesterday. I had to stop and recover my breath about 6 times (I didn't think I was going to finish) and drank about 2 litres of water. I had not checked the weather on the computer , just went outside and got busy. When I came inside I checked and it was 90 degrees...well..no wonder.

Yesterday I was going to trim the vines and start the backyard. I got dressed and when I hit the patio, I SAW the lush greenness out the corner of my eye.....

My brain was trying to register that something was amiss, but, I chose to ignore it...as I saw ..OH...my yellow Irises are starting to bloom...

Then. I turned to get busy on the vines on the fence...and...just stopped and ..looked...my brain was having a time of getting through my AM drug fog as I just couldn't sem to register what I was seeing...

..but I knew it wasn't grass or vines...

then I went out the gate to the back part to get a better  look and OH..my purple Irises are blooming...at least what I could see, the rest of the bed and my Day Lilies are under all this mess...

Mom has connections, somewhere as the tree man came out yesterday evening...I Finally know what kind of tree this is...he told me it is a Hackberry Tree...

I've never in all my 58 years of being around , ever heard of a Hackberry Tree, but according to this article, they have very hard wood that was used by the pioneers to make floor planks and is hard as steel. ...which sounds like he must have a very large and powerful chainsaw as they are supposed to be very hard wood.

Type of tree:
The Hackberry falls into the following type(s): Ornamental Trees, Shade Trees
Mature Height:
The Hackberry grows to be 40' - 60' feet in height.
Mature Spread:
The Hackberry has a spread of about 40' - 60' at full maturity.
Growth Rate:
This tree grows at a medium to fast growth rate.

Sun:
This Hackberry does well in full sun.

Soil:
The Hackberry grows in acidic, alkaline, drought tolerant, loamy, moist, rich, sandy, well drained, wet, wide range, clay soils.

Moisture:
Has some tolerance for both flooding and drought.

Shape:
This Hackberry has rounded, vase shape.
Leaves:
Shaped like spearheads, approximately 2 to 4 inches long and 1-1/2 to 2 inches wide, arranged alternately along the twigs. Small teeth edge at least the upper half of the leaf.

Flower Color:
Green color, faded, not noteworthy

Bloom Time:
April-May.

Fruit Description:
The Hackberry produces a small, dark-red berries that turn purple as they mature. The berry is less than 1/2 inch in diameter and is borne on slender stems about 1/2 to 3/4 inches long. Inside is a pit, that when scraped clean, reveals an interesting net-like pattern. The fruit is attractive to wildlife.

Additional Information
Attributes:
The Hackberry has been called admiringly, "one tough tree!" Found on a wide range of soils east of the Rockies from southern Canada to Florida, Hackberries thrive in a wide range of temperatures and on sites that vary from 14 to 60 inches of annual rainfall. Here is a tree that can stand up to strong winds, tolerate air pollution, and bring shade to hot city streets.

Description:
Tolerant of a wide range of conditions, the Hackberry is a good landscape choice. Grows to a broad crown with arching branches, not unlike the American Elm. Well-suited to urban areas, it withstands wind and city conditions. Grows 40'-70' with a 50' spread.

Wildlife Value:
The fruit of the Hackberry is popular with winter birds, especially the cedar waxwing, mockingbird, and robin.

History/Lore/Use:
In earlier years, its tough, flexible wood was used for barrel hoops and many a pioneer cabin was equipped with durable Hackberry wood flooring. The tree was first cultivated in 1636.

I went next door to let MRE know that they would be out trimming the trees and would be in his driveway too...and ..

MrsE answered the door...I told her and she then let me know that MrE had passed the night before...I almost fainted and started to cry uncontrollably...I don't know why his death has hit me so hard....

I do his yard work for him and he would come out and sit on a v\bench and talk to me while I was working and I watched him just..cave in..like a ...Halloween Pumpkin....he had cancer, and knew he was dying....

Why do the living deny what the one who is going through it..knows?

Right now there are about 7 strapping fine examples of Paul Bunyans working their chainsaws....and I haven't even looked out the window....

"I'm not done yet"....Glen Campbell

"I may not be exactly where I want to be, but I sure as Hell am not where I was"
Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

04jul07/DVT-right leg/Bi Lateral PE's     
16oct08/DVT-left leg
Aug09 Diagnosed: COPD

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline lipoenvy

Re: Well hello Mother Nature...
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 11:54:15 am »
Wow!  This post has everything -- natural disaster, stunning scenery, drugs, botany and history lesson, flashbacks, death, sex.  I think it could be a major motion picture.

Still waiting for the photos of the Paul Bunyans, though.

lipoenvy

Offline bear60

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 04:41:06 pm »
Ron...
Your posts always hit me like a sack of potatos.  Its ok to have these feelings...about death and dying.  Perhaps you need to talk more about it.
In any case, you need to get some photos of the Bunyans. lol

Joel
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 07:31:27 pm »
  {{{ HUGS }}}  :-*
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 08:07:06 pm »
WOW!  about the tree
we had some severe storms here the other day (the first of two hail storms slammed ice down on us for over 17mins!) Luckily all the branches that came down were in the back half of the property in the woods. However in the last week, me and my trusty chainsaw have whacked down 14 dead trees from around the property. I'm glad I got down one today before the next storm. I had it nearly felled when a gust of wind came along and shifted it. The top half of the tree snapped off and fell, cracking into 6 huge pieces. Me and the doggies are all okay but a section of fence got crunched. ::)

WoW! about the irises
My irises are just forming their buds in the last couple of days up here in SC. I can't believe how big and beautiful yours are already.

Do those purple ones look like this picture? It's hard to tell from your picture. If so then they are the tall bearded "Sweet Reflection" version. I used to have those when I was living in Ohio

Wow! about your neighbor.
that's very sad. I'm sure he was probably very thankful for the yard work that you did when he couldn't and also for the company and conversation

Wow! about the Bunyans
there's nothing better than having hot sweaty men over to do work on your property. now where are the pictures?  ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 12:17:45 am »

there's nothing better than having hot sweaty men over to do work on your property. now where are the pictures?  ;)
I prefer to do the hot sweaty work along with the hot and sweaty men, much more fun that way  ;D
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.