Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 01:37:13 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 224
Total: 226

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: HIV discrimination in LA  (Read 4446 times)

Offline Jeffreyj

HIV discrimination in LA
« on: January 31, 2007, 06:29:17 am »
http://www.infectioncontroltoday.com/hotnews/71h299544622028.html

This story is alarming. It says that people referred to other Dr's that have HIV were NOT accepted.

I had major flashbacks back to the 80's when i read this.

It is frightening, indeed.
We all need to hang in there together and fight like hell and raise hell if we don't get what we want when referred to other Dr's.
Please read.
Thanks,
Jeff
Positive since 1985

Offline mjmel

Re: HIV discrimination in LA
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2007, 06:45:26 am »
an exerpt from the linked article reads.."Since the late 1990s, very few studies have been done to measure HIV-discrimination in healthcare. "

I'm willing to bet that if the Clinton admistration were still in power the discrimination trend that the artilcle reveals would be snubbed out quickly. I don't think the current admistration give a damn. Yes, there are laws in place. Who's going to enforce 'em?

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2007, 07:02:57 am »
If a healthcare worker is so ignorant as to be afraid of treating a person with HIV I wouldn't want them to treat me.

Offline DanKenny

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2007, 07:53:15 am »
It is real, more than you would imagine.

I had dated a healthcare worker (who was also +) for a while.  I used to hear stories of blatant HIV discrimination -- they have special tags for + people, and they do communicate and warn their colleagues that a particular patient is + "so be very careful" --- such ignorance. 

More education needs to be done..

D
My Progress:

09/07:   771   ~    <50     ~   29%
03/07:   493   ~    227      ~   22%
02/07:   Began Meds ~~ ATRIPLA
01/07:   315   ~   45, 000  ~   18%
10/06:   350   ~   32, 430  ~   22%
04/06:   440   ~   23, 997  ~   24%
07/05:   621   ~   36,000   ~   24%
01/05:   842   ~   2306      ~   28%
07/04:   615   ~   3370      ~   27%
04/04:   674   ~   739        ~   26%
11/03:   439   ~   2800      ~   22%
Infected probably around 1997 / Diagnosed 2002

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2007, 04:01:01 am »
Hey Jeffery,

I find this article distressing because... I tested HIV+ in L.A. and AIDS, also in L.A.. I have never recieved better care from any organization than at the Care Clinic at St. Mary's (Long Beach).  I have in my time taken many friends to Harbor General/UCLA and I am glad I never had to go there.  On one occasion, I could not get inside the door because the metal detectors kept going off.  I had gum in my pocket.  When asked, I was told that facility was used in gang violence cases and it was common for a gang member to try and slip in to the hospital to finish off a rival.

One of my friends was a plastic surgeon in Torrance.  I used to tell him there was a new drive-thru plastic surgery opening in L.A.. It will be called Jiffy Boob. One of my more recent concerns is the loss of Title I funding in three California counties.  With Sonoma County and Santa Clara County both losing their funding and the status of hold harmless being unknown, this will impact care in the already under funded county of San Francisco.
Have the best day.
Michael
« Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 04:08:30 am by Sonomabeach »

Offline koi1

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2007, 07:45:49 am »
I think the employers sets the tone. In my experience Kaiser where I am treated is open minded. I have had no problems with discrimination. This is even with use of their emergency room, and hopitalization, where my condition had to be made aware to the employees, in order to get the best treatment. The nurses were wonderful. I would ask them why they were wearing masks at first, and one said,  "To protect you silly.I know what you're thinking. " I was even isolated to keep me from catching anything from the other patients. In the past it was more for protecting the other patients. But I am lucky to be treated at at the only HMO that is actually doing research on HIV and AIDS.

So yes I', sure discrimination does exist and I will have to deal with it when I have to find an oral surgeon as soon ast my cd4's go up.

rob
diagnosed on 11/20/06 viral load 23,000  cd4 97    8%
01/04/07 six weeks after diagnosis vl 53,000 cd4 cd4 70    6%
Began sustiva truvada 01/04/07
newest labs  drawn on 01/15/07  vl 1,100    cd4 119    7%
Drawn 02/10/07
cd4=160 viral load= 131 percentage= 8%
New labs 3/10/07 (two months on sustiva truvada
cd4 count 292  percentage 14 viral load undetectable

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2007, 10:05:12 pm »
My dentist is the only one in the area who will see positive patients.

When he goes to conferences and such, he is always asked, "How many of them are there in the area.

It is everywhere.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2007, 04:02:33 pm »
The Medical Director of our HIV clinic told me once that during a social event, she was asked, "Aren't you afraid of getting HIV from your patients?"  Her response, "I never share needles with my patients and always use condoms when I have sex with them".  Have the best day
Michael

Offline poodlelover

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2007, 10:54:45 pm »
this still happens more than you know.  While i was still working in surgery i saw it first hand.  Nurses and doctors being all caring and nice to patients face then behind their back acting totally different.  Even my own sister-in-law still works in surgery and will tell me how freaked out she gets when she has a hiv patient.  Also, they do flag you.  In this hospital on a great big board where they write patients names/procedure/ect they put in big red letters HIV+.  Also, last time I went to the dentist the girl put on 2 gowns, double gloved, face mask just to take my xrays, before my diagnosis i never had them do all that for just xrays.
Connie

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.