Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 226
Total: 227

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Flushing out latent infection  (Read 36764 times)

Offline lydgate

• Virgin, can't drive
Re: Flushing out latent infection
« Reply #50 on: July 07, 2006, 02:21:49 pm »
"Human immunodeficiency virus-associated dementia (HAD) encompasses a broad range of both psychiatric and neurologic symptoms. One end of the spectrum presents with minor cognitive and motor disorders (MCMDs), and at the other end is he more severe AIDS dementia complex (ADC), which is a subcortical ailment occurring at the later stages of the disease (i.e., after AIDS has developed). Although studies are less clear about the actual prevalence of dementia and/or delirium, it has been estimated that up to 20% of patients with AIDS will develop ADC and that 30% to 40% of hospitalized patients with AIDS will develop delirium (Goldenberg and Boyle, 2000b)."

From an April 2005 edition of Psychiatric Times. (The author relies quite heavily on two survey articles by Goldenberg and Boyle.)

Her finely-touched spirit had still its fine issues, though they were not widely visible. Her full nature, like that river of which Cyrus broke the strength, spent itself in channels which had no great name on the earth. But the effect of her being on those around her was incalculably diffusive: for the growing good of the world is partly dependent on unhistoric acts; and that things are not so ill with you and me as they might have been, is half owing to the number who lived faithfully a hidden life, and rest in unvisited tombs.

George Eliot, Middlemarch, final paragraph

Offline J220

« Reply #51 on: July 08, 2006, 03:12:05 am »
Not that I am not learning tons about the matter, but I thought this thread was about latent infection??
"Hope is my philosophy
Just needs days in which to be
Love of Life means hope for me
Born on a New Day" - John David

Offline antibody

• "every man thinks his burden is the heaviest"
« Reply #52 on: December 12, 2006, 04:29:12 pm »
we know that these reservoirs are all over the body. the lymph glands, genital tract, in the intestines and they are saying some these cells can live up to 60 years.
http://www.aidsmap.com/en/news/924A65B9-5DD8-4831-824F-22D1175FDBCC.asp
Timbuk      <50/ 794  CD4 10/06 
                 <50/ 1096 CD4 3/07
                 <40/ 1854 CD4 4/09

Started Atripla  7/14/06
Switched to boosted Reyataz Truvada 3/28/07

*Ask me about Medical Marijuana and how it can help you!*

Offline AtomicA

• that's Famous with an F
« Reply #53 on: December 21, 2006, 03:11:25 am »
I have a question about latency and the brain...

Does anyone actually know exactly what cells in the brain the virus can infect? This whole idea of clearing latency would seem to rely on infected cells being eventually killed by viral activation but if the HIV virus could infect even a few neurons then any medication that could clear them out would have to be able to clear them from every single type of cell that has latent viral DNA.

Furthermore, if it's true (as some of the studies I've been reading suggest) that the longer you have HIV the more established the latent pools become wouldn't that mean that someone who follows todays conventional wisdom of not treating with ARV's until their body needs it will be far less likely to ever have these treatments open to them if and when they become available? If the goal here is to find a cure, like a total cure, letting your latent viral pools build up over years and years of non-treatment would mean that there would be so much more to clear out than if ART was initiated at the first sign of infection.

It's something I have always had in the back of my mind since I became infected, my doctor was pretty insistant on me waiting because the drugs we have avaialble today have nasty long term consequences but if you look back 10-12 years the kinds of drugs I'm on now were nothing more than a pipe dream. 10 years from today things are probably going to be no different and I've always thought that treatment options should be weighed with the knowledge that we will always know more tomorrow than we know today. Hence why the idea of letting the virus become (perhaps) permanently established with latent viral pools seemed like insanity when there are so many people looking into the best ways to clear these pools out right now, less pools, better chance of clearing them when the technology becomes available.

just a thought, but I'd sure like to know about the brain thing. If HIV can infect neurons at all, waking up the virus and destroying those cells seems like a bad idea. Especially if the number of infected neurons increases over time. People who have had the virus for 20+ years would end up with dramatic brain damage if things like valproic acid work.

mistertonky

« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2007, 11:18:15 am »
it will happen very soon..

Offline Esquare

« Reply #55 on: March 28, 2007, 12:00:22 am »
it will happen very soon..

??? Care to elaborate?

Offline SASA39

« Reply #56 on: March 28, 2007, 06:06:01 am »
And what about this  :-\ ?

Statistical analysis suggests that it could take anywhere between 21 and 73
years for the reservoir to disappear completely. However, there were wide
variations between individuals in decay rates observed, and no clear correlation
between the stage of infection at which treatment commenced and the decay rate.
Several patients who started treatment in the early stages of primary infection
had detectable latently infected CD4 cells and minimal evidence of decay during
the follow-up period.
These findings call into question the view that commencing treatment during
primary infection holds the best hope of eventual HIV eradication, a position
first advocated by Dr David Ho at the 1996 Vancouver International AIDS
Conference.
12. Oct`06.  CD4=58 %  VL not issued
25.Dec.`06.         203     VL= 0
25.Dec`06.- 19.Oct`16 :
various ups & downs- mostly ups - from 58-916 and back in #CD and few blips in VL.
19.Oct`16     CD4=644      VL=0

Offline hahaha

« Reply #57 on: April 08, 2007, 11:15:13 pm »
Finally, using our latent cell lines, we identified six drugs (of 16,000 tested) that reactivate latent HIV. Such drugs could be used in patients to flush out their latently infected cells and eliminate latent pools (flushing hypothesis). If successful, this strategy could form the basis for a therapy to eradicate HIV infection in patients.

Wouldn's that be perfect if:
1.  Place patient on Harrt --> reduce the virus to undetectable
2 inject PD-1 --> CD-8 knows how to fight infected CD4
3 inject Emory Vaccine --> create antibody
4 take the "flushing" med and inject PD-1 again-->let latented cell present, then Haart, PD-1 and Vaccine can co-work to kill the remaining virus
5 then stop the fxxking damned Haart!!!

Oh, I cross my finger and wish the whole process can come true the coming year!!
Aug 9, 2006 Get infected in Japan #$%^*
Oct 2006 CD4 239
Nov 2006 CD4 299 VL 60,000
Dec 1, Sustiva, Ziagan and 3TC
Jan 07, CD4 400

Offline NYCguy

« Reply #58 on: April 09, 2007, 12:32:36 pm »
Atomic, this brain thing keeps me awake nights too (Ambien helps, fortunately).  I'm still adjusting to the fact that I had something in my body that I have to take pills for every day or it will kill me, let alone that idea that I might start losing my mind in a decade or so.  However, everything I have read says that neurons are NOT infected by HIV.  I don't know if this has been proven, but i have definitely read it.  The problem is that hiv passes through the blood-brain barrier and infects some kind of cells in the brain which it is hard for the meds to touch (as it does in the balls as well, but those cells are quite as important as brain cells...).  That's all I know.  I do worry that all these new treatments still won't get those last cells in the brain, but who knows.  However, I have definitely read that neurons aren't affected, but comments on this would be appreciated.
11/9/06 = #$%^&!
sometime early Dec 2006:
CD4 530 20%/VL >250,000 (&*$$%!!)
started Reyataz300mg/Norvir/Truvada 12-27-06.
1/30/07 CD4 540 30%/VL <400
4/07 CD4 600+ 33%/VL <50
6/9/07 CD4 720 37%/VL <50
10/15/07 CD4 891 (!) %? VL <50
1/2010 CD4 599 (37%) VL<50 (drop due to acute HCV)
9/2010 - looks like HCV is gone for good! And I'm finally drinking again, thank GOD
2013 - considering a switch to Stribild. but I love my Kidneys (but I hate farting all the time!)...
June 2013 - switched to Stribild.  so far so good...

Offline NYCguy

« Reply #59 on: April 10, 2007, 04:09:16 pm »
this is from 2005, but interesting research about the brain and hiv dementia re above discussion:

http://www.nsf.gov/news/news_summ.jsp?cntn_id=104479&org=OLPA

White blood cells may be cause of dementia in people with AIDS

September 27, 2005

Researchers studying the evolution of the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) in the brain have found that the body's own defenses may cause HIV-related dementia.

Publishing in the Sept. 2005 issue of the Journal of Virology, the researchers show that HIV in the temporal lobe mutates at a rate 100 times faster than in other parts of the body, triggering white blood cells to continually swarm to attack the infection.  The associated overcrowding and inflammation appear to cause the dementia.

Earlier studies had suggested that the build-up of white blood cells could lead to HIV-related dementia, but this is the first study to track the probable mechanism.

The findings could lead to new treatments that target HIV-infected white blood cells, perhaps one day countering the brain wasting that will affect as many as 15 percent of the nearly 40 million people around the world who are infected with the virus.

The study is a collaboration among researchers at the University of California at Irvine, the University of Florida at Gainesville, Gene Johnson, Inc., of St. Augustine, Fla., the University of California at San Francisco (UCSF) and the University of Oxford in the United Kingdom.

One of the critical tools behind the discovery is HIVBase, a genetic data-storage and -analysis tool with which the researchers tracked the rapidly evolving viruses.  Gene Johnson developed the tool with the support of an NSF Small Business Innovation Research award.

According to co-author Susanna Lamers of Gene Johnson and UCSF, the results strengthen an earlier hypothesis by Kenneth Williams of Harvard University and William Hickey of Dartmouth Medical School.  They had suggested that the continual build-up of white blood cells in the brain could lead to HIV-associated dementia.

"In our work," says Lamers, "we conducted a thorough examination of HIV genetic sequences and were able to prove that the researchers’ concept was a good explanation for both clinical latency—when the body mounts a strong immune defense and the number of viral particles decreases—and the long-term damage associated with HIV infection in the brain.  They offered the model, we provided strong evidence that the model is accurate."

Additional information is available in press releases from the University of Florida and Gene Johnson.

-NSF-

Media Contacts
Joshua A. Chamot, NSF (703) 292-7730 jchamot@nsf.gov
April Frawley Birdwell, University of Florida Health Science Center (352) 273-5817 afrawley@vpha.health.ufl.edu
Jeff Sheehy, University of California, San Francisco, AIDS Research Institute (415) 597-8165 JSheehy@ari.ucsf.edu

Program Contacts
Errol B. Arkilic, NSF (703) 292-8095 earkilic@nsf.gov

Principal Investigators
Susanna Lamers, Gene Johnson, Inc. and the University of California, San Francisco (985) 493-3487 susanna@genejohnson.net

Related Websites
Gene Johnson, Inc. Press Release: http://www.hivbase.com
University of Florida Press Release: http://www.news.health.ufl.edu/story.asp?ID=2097

11/9/06 = #$%^&!
sometime early Dec 2006:
CD4 530 20%/VL >250,000 (&*$$%!!)
started Reyataz300mg/Norvir/Truvada 12-27-06.
1/30/07 CD4 540 30%/VL <400
4/07 CD4 600+ 33%/VL <50
6/9/07 CD4 720 37%/VL <50
10/15/07 CD4 891 (!) %? VL <50
1/2010 CD4 599 (37%) VL<50 (drop due to acute HCV)
9/2010 - looks like HCV is gone for good! And I'm finally drinking again, thank GOD
2013 - considering a switch to Stribild. but I love my Kidneys (but I hate farting all the time!)...
June 2013 - switched to Stribild.  so far so good...

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.