Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 05:14:59 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 423
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 395
Total: 395

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Marriage Equality  (Read 1547 times)

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
Marriage Equality
« on: October 16, 2008, 02:16:48 pm »
Marriage Equality: two simple words, so emotionally charged as to divide a nation.  Yes, it would be fair, for all committed couples, regardless of sex, to have all the protections and responsibilities of marriage.  However, no matter how much we want this equality, I believe it to be part of what same sex couples deserve, and that is TRUE EQUALITY, as defined by the Constitution of the United States.

Why should we settle for the right to marry, when we already have the exact same rights as every other American, including the right to marry, except only to a member of the opposite sex?  Because we deserve EQUAL RIGHTS that extend far beyond the institution of marriage and until we get these rights, marriage equality is just another term for tolerance.  The same kind of tolerance you have for an unruly child, when you give them something, just to keep them quiet.

To me, marriage equality is absolute bullshit.  It is nothing more than tossing a bone to the LGBT communities, to placate us and to get us to go away, or at least to be less vocal about our issues.  What I demand is true equality, for all Americans and that means ALL Americans, not just those viewed by society as being more worthy than others are.  That means we have the rights to love as we choose, to protect and care for our loved ones, and to interact in a county where all citizens are truly equal.

Why does your sex matter, when it comes to affairs of the heart and the desire to live a complete life?  Why do family ties (only gained through marriage) constitute the definition of who has the right to share in the lives of others?  What is the difference in a marriage between Joan and Jack, or Joe and Stephen?  Nothing, other than the sex of one of the partners, and so why is everyone so afraid?

Why deny us equal rights at all?  The idea that the federal government, through the Defense Of Marriage Act (DOMA) defined marriage as only permissible, when between a man and a woman is clearly unconstitutional, yet it stands.  It shields the government from acknowledging the rights of all Americans and relegates same sex relationships as being devoid of many of the rights and protections that supposedly all Americans already have.

The lack of those protections has stripped untold numbers of same sex couples, of all their worldly possessions, because they cannot be defined, as “family”.  It prevents couples from insuring for the protection of each partner.  Even when you document your “legal connection” with another, those wishes are often ignored, because you are not of the correct sex.  What a total crock of shit!

The government refuses to acknowledge LGBT relationships, and by its own laws, it relegates all non-heterosexual relationships as illegal under American law.  Moreover, it is that last point, where I believe our best hope lies.  I believe that true equality will come to all Americans, when the Supreme Court overturns DOMA and any other similar legislation as being unconstitutional, period.  End of discussion.

It has already happened in countries, around the world, and I believe such equality will come to America.  Sadly, it will not happen, until enough Americans tire of the unfair and illegal treatment of the LGBT communities.  Tragically, America remains a country divided, where some citizens are more “equal” than others are and until attitudes change, it will remain so.  There is a reason for the separation of church and state, but that line has been blurred in America for decades.  In the case of marriage, the word defines both a religious and civil institution.  I agree that each religion has the right to decide whom they will marry, in their church.  However, marriage is also a civil ceremony, which should be available to all citizens.  The fact it is denied, on religious grounds, is abhorrent to me, and will not change, until Americans demand such change.

I believe that America is at a crossroads, with each direction requiring a marked change in how Americans view themselves, our country and our place on this planet.  When enough Americans agree, that equal rights means equal rights for everyone, is the day we take the next giant step as a civilization.  Our fore fathers had it right, as the foundation that they built, has generally served us well.  All of us must demand that all Americans are equal, in all things and at all times.  There can be no us verses them, because we are all the same.  At least we should be.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.