Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 03:31:41 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773192
  • Total Topics: 66335
  • Online Today: 554
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 272
Total: 273

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: mRNA-1644 / mRNA-1644v2-Core HIV Vaccine  (Read 6107 times)

Offline gpapadop91

mRNA-1644 / mRNA-1644v2-Core HIV Vaccine
« on: August 18, 2021, 02:17:45 pm »
https://www.cnn.gr/kosmos/story/278267/moderna-xekinoyn-oi-dokimes-gia-to-peiramatiko-emvolio-mrna-kata-toy-hiv

Hello friends...
How are you?
I know that you already know about tomorrow start of Moderna trial of mRNA hiv vaccine.

All news and newspapers and e-newspapers and websites tall about this all day...

I know...as you, me too I'm pessimistic about this ..but the hope is still living inside me...

I have two questions...
Is there any hope because of this new otherwise promising method of mrna to have any good above 50-60% of success??

2. If yes , would it be only for preventing hiv or curing (even suppressing the virus without the need of daily art) hiv in PLHIV?

See you guys ..

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
Re: mRNA-1644 / mRNA-1644v2-Core HIV Vaccine
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2021, 03:38:17 pm »
1. Is there any hope because of this new otherwise promising method of mrna to have any good above 50-60% of success??

2. If yes , would it be only for preventing hiv or curing (even suppressing the virus without the need of daily art) hiv in PLHIV?
as a phase 1 trial, the answer to both your questions is maybe.

Moderna will be trialling two versions of its new vaccine candidate, officially called mRNA-1644 (the variant is known as mRNA-1644v2-Core). This is the first mRNA vaccine against HIV to be trialled in humans.

There will be four groups as part of the trial – two receiving a mix of the vaccine versions, and two receiving one or the other.

At this early stage, the trial isn't 'blind', which means everyone who receives the vaccine will know what they're getting. That's because right now the researchers aren't trying to work out how well the vaccine works. This first phase will last approximately 10 months, and they just want to make sure it's safe and that it mounts a basic immune response.

If the vaccine passes this phase, they will still need to go through phase 2 and phase 3 trials to determine how well they work at preventing HIV infection in the broader population.
https://www.sciencealert.com/moderna-s-experimental-hiv-vaccine-could-begin-human-trials-as-soon-as-this-week

as per your second question, vaccines are tested to see if they work to prevent infection. If successful, sometimes so meds can then be considered whether they might provide a "functional cure" (instead of eradicating the virus, a functional cure aims to suppress the virus to levels where it cannot cause the body any harm and do so without the ongoing use of drugs). A vaccine might not be a cure or functional cure; but a successful vaccine could possibly stop anyone else from ever getting infected.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline gpapadop91

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2021, 04:29:32 pm »
A vaccine might not be a cure or functional cure; but a successful vaccine could possibly stop anyone else from ever getting infected.

Sounds a bit pessimistic for us and optimistic only for negatives.

Do I understand correct that you see it a bit pessimistically?

Offline gpapadop91

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2021, 04:30:55 pm »
Yes for me it's a hope because I want to have a hope...even if I know that it might show some effectiveness , I still know it will be ready in at least 5-10 years or 15 maybe...

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2021, 04:45:57 pm »
Is there any hope because of this new otherwise promising method of mrna to have any good above 50-60% of success??

as a phase 1 trial, the answer to both your questions is maybe.

Yup.

After the number of novel, new and breakthrough and promised things we have seen fall flat on its face over the years, I now treat all these things like the Irish weather report.

So I largely ignore it, unless it's at the end of phase 3 clinical trials or I can personally witness the sun shining  ;)

However, these things are scientifically interesting I suppose and even from failures, a lot can be learned.
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline gpapadop91

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2021, 06:41:36 pm »
Ηey Jim , I am so happy to hear you or see you here I mean...
It's been a week since I last saw you or talk.

I understand everything what you talk and why...

First I have to tell, maybe or although I am not a doctor still had a 100/100 in biology in country exams . It was a mandatory lesson before you enter tertiary education.
So I can understand many things about doctors field however what we are interested in is more about biology's perspective..
Let's talk...

I was reading before what and if you can have a covid mRNA vaccination when you are already covid positive...

Most of answers were to avoid having vaccination mostly because it's preferable to avoid infecting whom vaccinate others people...not because it will not be effective..

So my questions coming...

1. I saw now a February's article about iavi s project, that a promising hiv vaccine showed 97% effective broadly antibody response without moderate and serious side effects.
If so , doesn't this mean it will be someday (in 3-5-10years max) a vaccine available for human and for prevention???

2. If so , ( this I don't know exactly, I cannot find relative information) , could this response and its relating antibodies offer a functional cure , or  a latent virus should firstly be induced for this to happen ???
So the meaning of my second question is in reality, this , we on art , multiply mutating strains? Or in us plhiv on successful art a new hiv vaccine cannot offer too much and we only need the shock and kill method or similar to get any meaningful help to eliminate/eradicate/suppress without the need of art??

Please let's talk about this...

Offline gpapadop91

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2021, 06:44:21 pm »
I am ready to give exams again for biology school of university. And if I do it and I don't die from aids soon and have time to have a master in biology etc I will find the cure... Leatherman do you hear me? We should get rid of this and describe our experience as an amazing war that we had to our offsprings...
Wish you sweet dreams .. love you brothers...
Good night

Offline Grasshopper

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2021, 09:35:04 am »

May I suggest you read this article :

https://www.poz.com/article/antiretrovirals-transformed-hiv-epidemic-timeline

When I tested positive in 1992 there was very little hope and options. The medications available today allows us to live a normal and healthy life.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2021, 09:42:39 am by Grasshopper »

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2021, 01:01:45 pm »

actually, I just see it realistically.

The retrovirus HIV is a very hard virus for science to deal with. A lot has been learned, and the treatment today is light years away from the first meds. Just trying to find a vaccine has taken decades and as of now all we have is PrEP/truvada. The search for a cure has been going as long and while a lot various methods have been researched, the cure is still somewhere in the future.

As someone who has lived with HIV since the 80s, I've watched the science on HIV grow and grow. I've also read about dozens of trials for possible vaccines and cures....but none have worked out yet. I certainly hope that they develope a vaccine soon so that everyone can have protection from being infected. I don't feel bad that they haven't developed a cure yet. I don't think pessimitically or optimistically about this to be honest. Right now there isn't a cure (not even one close), so I don't really care about something that isn't real yet. I just take my 2 pills a day and live a great life in the here-and-now.
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline Ptrk3

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2021, 01:58:44 pm »
gpapadop91:  I don't intend to seem curt with this response, I promise you.  I also don't want to come across as Mr. Cheerful, blithely dismissive of your reaction to a medical diagnosis.  So, no offense intended with my sparse words.

It's a kick in the teeth and stomach to be told you're HIV-positive.  I know.

I really do hope that there is a sterilizing cure for HIV in, say, the next 10 years.  Maybe, that might happen.  Most excellent, if it does.

If not, a functional cure would, when you think about it, be practically just as good.

I can't tell you when or if either is going to occur, though, and I know you know that and are sharing with all, which is cool and healthy.

But, I can tell you this with certainty, and it might provide you some peace-of-mind, if you think about it:  the cure is not going to happen "now."
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline gpapadop91

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2021, 04:19:41 pm »
May I suggest you read this article :

https://www.poz.com/article/antiretrovirals-transformed-hiv-epidemic-timeline

When I tested positive in 1992 there was very little hope and options. The medications available today allows us to live a normal and healthy life.
Yes guys I agree , and nice to hear all of your opinions.

Offline gpapadop91

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2021, 04:32:20 pm »
Guys  hi ..
Hi Leatherman hi Ptrk3.

I think there is a misunderstanding right here.

I just opened a topic, because I'm new and I just started learning about this huge and endless virus...

So my intention is to talk and share any well documented info to help each other. Of course I want , and Dont tell me you don't want, right now a cure.
I'm realistic too however soon enough I think and especially after some talk with Jim who helped me a lot but all of you too...

I just cannot understand something and that's why I asked and I will ask again in some more direct but clear way.

1. Do you know, or heared about this 97% efficacy in humans tested vaccine?

2. Is it mRNA? Is it this one which Moderna was about to test again now but improved and with primers and boosters?

3. If it really generates such a good response like they told (not me, they did) , why don't they run it more fast, and I mean avoid uselessly spent time?? So to go faster to phase 2 and 3?

4. Could an mRNA built vaccine help positive people by suppressing virus at a low counts without the need of daily and lifetime art or it will be only for prevention?

If anyone wants and knows something about some of the questions above , let's share it with us

Thanks to all of you.
Kisses and hugs

Offline Grasshopper

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2021, 05:07:04 pm »
Unless it's at the end of phase 3 clinical trials, I won't spend much time dwelling on these news.

Offline gpapadop91

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2021, 05:19:09 pm »
Ι already did the same. After 3 months of diagnosis I read every 3-5 days... First month I was reading all day...
I hope I can follow your steps guys...
Sometimes I can tell you I feel happy... because I lived the hardest things in life, so I lived life...
I took it by having my phanntasies coming true...
I have to appreciate the gift of life with all this...when other people are unrespectful of being alive and healthy....
Many things ...it's a big conversation...

Kisses and hugs
I'm going for sleeping.

Buy

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2021, 05:42:59 pm »
1. Do you know, or heared about this 97% efficacy in humans tested vaccine?

Not really, 97% of a small cohort taking the vaccine had some indication of antibodies response, its ultimate efficacy against HIV is unknown, could be a big fat zero. Nothing to get too excited about just yet.

Anyhow if you want to discuss that here is the thread: https://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=75115.msg

2. Is it mRNA?

The one with 97% as you mentioned? No.

3. If it really generates such a good response like they told (not me, they did) , why don't they run it more fast, and I mean avoid uselessly spent time?? So to go faster to phase 2 and 3?

It's not useless time. + a dozen other reasons that are irrelevant as I can't change it.

4. Could an mRNA built vaccine help positive people by suppressing virus at a low counts without the need of daily and lifetime art or it will be only for prevention?

Doubtful but who knows. Happy to be proven wrong one day.

Unless it's at the end of phase 3 clinical trials, I won't spend much time dwelling on these news.

100% agree.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2021, 05:47:09 pm by Jim Allen »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2021, 08:32:40 pm »
with fast-tracking for HIV drugs in the 90s and operation warp-speed recently, America runs drugs from discovery to market pretty darned quickly already. The COVID vaccines still aren't "officially" approved but are under "emergency use authorization". That's pretty fast.

And be careful what you wish for. Go too fast and there won't be any research on long term effects.  ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline gpapadop91

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2021, 03:41:48 am »
Thank you Jim thank you Leatherman.
Have a nice day
😁🤗

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.