Main Forums > Living With HIV

PrEP and Pregnant

(1/1)

Bunny:
Hi Friends,

My viral load is undetectable with cd4 - 881

We are trying to get a baby for long time, one month back we visited to doctor, as per his suggestion......

My wife puts on PrEP ( FTC (200mg) + TDF (300mg) ) and tried to conceive. Luckily she conceived on first month of PrEP. Now she is doing well

My another doctor prescribed Folic Acid and Progesteron for first month. Now my doubt is, is these tablets interacts with PrEP tablets?.

Is there any extra precautions will I take for smooth pregnancy?

Thanks & Regards.

Bunny:
Any inputs please
Thanks in advance

Jim Allen:
Hiya,

Firstly congrats and wishing you both the best. Keep us posted on when the little one arrives  :)

About PrEP and Folic Acid, I don't see any reason for concern. You could check drugs. com for interactions but the best would be to consult a qualified pharmacist.

The only other comment I have is I really don't understand why the PrEP to start with? I really don't get that.

Jim

Bunny:

--- Quote ---The only other comment I have is I really don't understand why the PrEP to start with? I really don't get that.

--- End quote ---

Thanks Jim,

My wife is HIV negative, my doctor advised to continue PrEP for three months. Here in India it is horrible situation to go to any doctor, if it is regular doctor too.  That's the reason I was not visited to my Doctor. Is it safe to stop the PrEP?.

Jim Allen:
Hiya

Yeah, India is a mess at the moment. Half of my team are based in India.

Look, has your HIV been virally suppressed (UD) for more than 6 months? If so I am just surprised PrEP was still recommended, However, I am not going to tell you to stop the PrEP.

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1186/s12879-020-4912-4

About the Folic Acid, I can't give medical advice but I do know it's really important and no issues with this and PrEP are listed on drugs.com and interaction checkers I looked at. So I would not stress about interactions if It was my own partner & baby.

(Keep in mind the link below is written for the UK) https://www.nhs.uk/pregnancy/keeping-well/vitamins-supplements-and-nutrition/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version