Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:48:29 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772955
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 467
Total: 471

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: IMMUNE BOOSTING BASED TREATMENTS COMING SOON?  (Read 7204 times)

Offline thefool

IMMUNE BOOSTING BASED TREATMENTS COMING SOON?
« on: November 11, 2007, 08:50:09 am »
Recently, Luc Montagnier said that, because AIDS drugs were so toxic, currect researching was focusing on developing treatments based on immune boosting therapies.  In order the body could succesfully fight against the virus and stay healthy.
Do you know if those thjerapies are now being used, or, if not, they will be soon available?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: IMMUNE BOOSTING BASED TREATMENTS COMING SOON?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2007, 07:23:00 pm »
Montagnier's statement is very general and nothing new really. We'll know soon enough if they come up with any effective alternatives. This is really just a press release without any specific solid news attached.
Andy Velez

Offline bimazek

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2007, 11:50:30 pm »
IMMUNE BOOSTING TREATMENTS -- were outlined in this paper given by a Vet for helping with cancer...
see last section Section 7. on this page it has all the latest knowledge of immune boosting
but all very experimental, i have seen some, a few clinical trials,

http://www.sandiegomilliondollarwebpage.com/immunecancer.html

of course hiv guys have been doing immune boost things for years... under the table so to speak
such as
HGH - human growth hormone
Anabolic Steroids - (shown to interfear with FasL signals that tell the T cells to self distruct- see postings on here in past)

the problem ... is there are side effects and science has not shown that it gives any longer life
only HAART gives longer life

but the guys in LA who have been poz 20 yrs or 25 yrs who are rich and have super insurance and top Dr.s get
HGH - human growth hormone and Anabolic Steroids Rx's all the time, it is almost a cliche to see a built guy in LA who is poz perhaps in smaller cities and towns this is not known,

i cannot say that it prolongs life but it may improve thier quality of life or they tell me that it does but it could be just someone who is addicted to the stuff,   part of this is money, economic class thing... the rich or those with good insurance in LA get this stuff, the average people dont get it from thier clinic or Dr.

but it is not proven to extend life,  i think in 90- 94 before protease inhibitors it did help keep some guys alive long enough to get on the HAART --- it being steriods and hgh

i personally am afraid of the side effects and never have tried and dont want to risk it

if i was 20 years poz having resistance with meds, loosing weight and wasting then absolutely i would get on
 steriods and hgh

but every state is different, one state if a Dr. Rx's these things can get in tons of trouble, loose license, but in big gay cities in liberal states it is normal

this is IMHO

perhaps you have another idea

just my guesses

but HAART is the only thing that will stop virus proven

and there are tons of new trials... see my posts or other posts on here ... do a search for my post and there are tons of great new meds low toxicity...

try to get in this one...

if you have resistance...
http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=13404.0
« Last Edit: November 11, 2007, 11:52:16 pm by bimazek »

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 12:41:13 am »
Bim,

TheFool is HIV negative. He's a refugee from Am I Infected.

MtD

Offline thefool

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2007, 09:06:50 am »
Some persons on this forum(only a few) are being very rude. In the meanwhile I prefer to keep serenity and courtesy.

The statement of the forum says:  ' AIDSmeds/POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/FAMILY/caregivers, and OTHERS CONCERNED about HIV/AIDS'

Some among you are ' inviting me' to leave the forum since the first day I arrived.  Why so suspicious and distrustful? why so rude? Have I broken any of the forum´s rules?  Nevertheless: thanks to all who have answered me with good faith.

This is a FORMATIVE and INFORMATIVE  forum about HIV and AIDS and I am FREE to ask politely all questions I have regarding this subject. OR NOT? ??? :( >:(

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2007, 12:42:41 pm »
Some persons on this forum(only a few) are being very rude. In the meanwhile I prefer to keep serenity and courtesy.

The statement of the forum says:  ' AIDSmeds/POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/FAMILY/caregivers, and OTHERS CONCERNED about HIV/AIDS'

Some among you are ' inviting me' to leave the forum since the first day I arrived.  Why so suspicious and distrustful? why so rude? Have I broken any of the forum´s rules?  Nevertheless: thanks to all who have answered me with good faith.

This is a FORMATIVE and INFORMATIVE  forum about HIV and AIDS and I am FREE to ask politely all questions I have regarding this subject. OR NOT? ??? :( >:(

With the exception of the “Am I Infected?” and “Off Topic” Forums, the AIDSmeds.com Forums are intended for people who have been diagnosed with HIV (or their loved ones/caregivers).  If you are questioning or unaware of your HIV status, please refrain from posting messages or questions in the Forums intended for HIV-positive people.

Offline Smoothstone

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2007, 01:18:42 pm »
Thanks for asking that question. Does anyone have experience or perspective on IL-2. Its been used in poz folks in research settings for over a decade. At one point, it seemed like it was getting a negative review, but the research continued. I think there has been some beneficial results recently.?  Access to IL-2 for PWAs and poz?

Any source of  comprehensive up date on immune boosting treatments for HIV infection or cancers?   Thanks. Hank

Offline thefool

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2007, 01:42:28 pm »
thanks for your words, Hank :)

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2007, 02:09:25 pm »
It might help if some of you read the treatment news section of Poz sometimes:

http://www.poz.com/articles/hiv_il2_treatment_761_13000.shtml?rss=true

Posting on forums is fun and all, but Tim Horn doesn't spend all of his time assembling this material for it to be ignored.

In fact, you might find the use of an News Aggregator application helpful in utilizing his RSS feeds.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2007, 02:35:14 pm »
Thanks for asking that question. Does anyone have experience or perspective on IL-2. Its been used in poz folks in research settings for over a decade. At one point, it seemed like it was getting a negative review, but the research continued. I think there has been some beneficial results recently.?  Access to IL-2 for PWAs and poz?

Any source of  comprehensive up date on immune boosting treatments for HIV infection or cancers?   Thanks. Hank

Hey Hank,

Before you go jumping into bed with TheFool there (though that would be deliciously appropriate) you might wanna check out the issue that brought him to us in the first place. ;)

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=17034.0

MtD

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2007, 04:56:37 pm »
IL-2 has a reasonable track record in producing temporary increases n CD4 counts, and at the same time making you feel like you got the flu. If your CD4 count is very low, like 50 or sommat, it may be worthwhile (on the basis that with low CD4s, more is definately more), but there are no studies showing long-term immnological or virological benefits. A decent, working combo is likely to produce better CD4 gains, even for people with very low CD4 counts.

- matt

Now playiing: a Red Strip tinnie
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline Smoothstone

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2007, 03:38:12 am »
IL-2 is already approved in Europe for poz with low CD4.

Thanks for the references. I recollect speed reading the initial AIDS journal article. It helps my retention when I read multiple versions of a study. I also value getting multiple perspectives.

Wonder what the FDA consideration/approval is?  I understand the Esprit study is concluded. Hank 

Offline Tim Horn

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2007, 06:09:16 pm »
Wonder what the FDA consideration/approval is?  I understand the Esprit study is concluded.

ESPRIT is fully enrolled, meaning that it's no longer accepting new study volunteers. However, the study is still ongoing. I think they extended the length of the study, as patients in both groups -- IL-2 recipients and placebo recipients -- are doing very well on antiretroviral therapy, hence there haven't yet been enough "endpoints" (disease progression or death) to conclude if there's a clinical benefit associated with ARV therapy plus IL-2 vs. ARV therapy alone. And with the extension, if there's still no statistically significant difference in clinical endpoints, the conclusion of the study might be that IL-2 offers no additional benefit.

Tim Horn

Offline bimazek

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2007, 06:10:36 pm »
The problem with studies that try to boost the immune system with just one IL is that the immune system is so vastly complex, and the body also that it will require or could require a symphony of boosting agents together to regulate things and fight hiv at the same time, this is simply a result of any non linear system, a system that is more than the sum of its parts...

here is an outline for some possible targets to help boost the immune system....

Boosting the immune system

Strategies to break through HIV immune suppression of the adaptive immune response – some examples (nef that molecule down regulated hiv specific CD8 killer cells

a. Goal of immunotherapy – activate the host immune system to recognize and destroy the HIV as well as re activate the down regulated hiv specific CD8 killer cells among these many ideas listed below

b. Use of monoclonal antibodies to kill cells

i. Antibody targeted to HIV antigen

ii. Block growth signals

1. anti-HER-2/neu

2. anti-erb-B1: blocks epidermal growth factor receptor

iii. Complement-mediated lysis

iv. ADCC

1. anti-CD20 (Rituximab)

2. anti-CD52 (CAMPATH)

v. Antibody conjugates

1. anti-CD20

Yttrium (Zevalin)

2. anti-CD22 Caleachimycin

c. Activate innate immune cells

i. NK cells: IL-12, IL-2

ii. NKT cells: IL-2, α-Galactosyl-Ceramide

iii. γδ T cells: IL-2, bisphosphonate compounds, other

d. Activate / expand antigen presenting cells

i. Promote maturation of immature myeloid cells (retinoic acid)

ii. Expand population of DCs available to participate in immune response

1. FLT3 ligand

2. GMCSF

iii. Activate quiescent DCs to express co-stimulatory molecules

1. Activate Toll-like receptors on DCs

a. TLR4: LPS

b. TLR7: imidazoquinolines

c. TLR9: CpG

d. other

2. CD40 agonist

iv. Load DCs with antigen in vitro and adoptive transfer

v. Load DCs with antigen in vivo via vaccine

1. Whole irradiated cells

2. Crude HIV glycoprotein preparation

3. Gene-modified HIV cells

4. Plasmid DNA

5. HIV peptides

6. Altered peptide ligands

7. Viral gene transfer vectors

8. Antigen-modified DCs

e. T cells

i. Stimulate expansion of CD8+ population in vivo

1. Systemic administration of IL-2, IL-15, IL-21

2. Local administration of IL-12, IL-23

ii. Block negative regulatory cytokines in vivo

1. IL-10

2. TGF-β

iii. Block negative regulatory signals on T cells in vivo

1. anti-CTLA-4

2. anti-PD-1

iv. Deplete regulatory T cells

v. Stimulate positive regulatory signals on T cells in vivo

1. OX40 agonist antibody

2. 4-1BB agonist antibody

vi. Adoptive transfer of in vitro activated CD8+ T cells

1. Polyclonal

2. Monoclonal

3. Lymphoid depletion prior to adoptive transfer allows for "homeostatic expansion" of

transferred lymphocytes

7. "Polyimmunotherapy"

a. Given that clinically relevant neoplasms have already developed the ability to mutate and thwart the host

response, it is likely that successful attempts to eradicate the HIV will require that it be attacked

simultaneously by several different mechanisms - akin to polychemotherapy.

b. Stimulate expansion of CD8+ population in vivo following vaccination

i. Systemic administration of cytokines (IL-2, IL-15, IL-21)

ii. Local administration of IL-12

iii. Provides HIV antigen to activate CD8+ T cells AND cytokine to promote CD8+ T cell activation /

expansion

c. TRICOM approach
i. Sequential immunization with recombinant vaccinia virus and defective avipox virus containing the
transgenes for carcinoembryonic antigen (CEA) and a triad of T-cell costimulatory molecules (B7-1, ICAM-1, and LFA-3)
ii. Provides HIV antigen to activate CD8+ T cells AND
costimulatory molecules to promote CD8+ T expansion
d. Overwijk paper approach (J Exp Med 2003; 198:569-580.)
i. Adoptive transfer of HIV-specific T cells
ii. Antigen-specific vaccination with altered peptide ligand (rather than native peptide)
iii. Co-administration of T cell growth and activation factor
iv. Provides effector cells, antigen AND cytokine to promote CD8+ T cell activation / expansion

# ** HIV-mediated** I coined this phrase -- what i mean by it is the HIV produces all these molecules and proteins,
# nef for example, without that protein that hiv produces
# there would be no disease progression whatso ever, these
# molecules and proteins that are in the blood that turn off
# or down regulate the CD8 cells amoung many other things so
#
(8) there is an anology here to hiv also,
# i believe but i would have to find sources
(9) are bisphosphonate compounds or other
# analogous compounds actived in hiv
(10) for hiv-mediated immune suppression
# disease the CD numbers are a different series or group
(11) Tumor associated antigens (TAA)
# would this become HIV CD4 infected specific antigen?
(12) Presented to CD4 helper T cells ---
# here is an interesting detour in the analogy that may unlock some possible ways to attack...
# if it is presented to cd4, how can that
# happen if many are infected
(13) here is where we get closer into the CD4 and CD8 T cells
# via co-stimulatory molecules ---- , ctla, etc many many others
# postive and negative signals...
#(14) here we are at the big  thing i write about
(15) why isnt 14 and 15 standard treatments now,
# it is my understanding that the drugs exist...
# monoclonal antibodies etc or IL or various
(16) there is an amazingly long equilibrium period
# in hiv mediated immune distruction,
# for example it is on aveerage 4 to 11 years long!! before significant disease states occur
# mainly below 200 tcells
(17)** is this what happens when the tcells begin rapid decline
# ... both innate and adaptive become overwelmed
(18) analogy falls apart here because, the cd4 cells
# do not evade like cancer or better put
# they all evade because they are actually inside the cd4 cell
# that is what should be helping to set up immune response
# but isnt it the nef and cd8 exhaused
# by pd-1 being hi state, by an yet unknow protein or molecule
# that causes the evasion???
(19) i guess the infected CD4 cell itself
# would be considered the tumor bed in hiv disease
(20) in hiv disease there is an over
# abundance overwhelming inflammatory stimulus
(21)( this must be a huge area of
# research and needs billions of dollars) (21)
(22) critically important... to support CD8 expansion (22) ***

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.