Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:31:47 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 375
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 354
Total: 356

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: As Ray said . . .  (Read 5253 times)

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
As Ray said . . .
« on: November 21, 2011, 10:42:45 pm »
I know it's only numbers, but mine suck.

I had my semi-annual blood draw today. I saw the doctor this afternoon.

My overall cholesterol is 225.  :o

The rest of the lipids aren't much better.

The only decent numbers are the triglycerides, which were 143.

I have noticed a trend since I started Isentress. When I first started the lipids plummeted. I was delighted.

Then, it seems despite my best efforts, they have been climbing steadily.

I eat vegetarian meals about 90 percent of the time, which is no small feat when you must make sure it is all gluten free.

Most of the rest of the meals contain fish. I rarely eat red meat, and when I do, it is usually lean pork or boneless, skinless chicken breast.

Until recently, I exercised at least two hours, three days a week, including cardio and strength training - and swimming.

I did lay off the exercise the last few weeks because i wanted to see if it would lower my CPKs. They were lower than they have been, down to about 600.

The last set of labs, the overall cholesterol was borderline, coming in a 199, or 198. But today's results are worse, and I was being especially careful the past few months to eschew all fat save olive oil and avocados, with the occasional fresh egg thrown in.

I am about to throw up my hands. i just don't know what else to do.

The doctor gave me a script increasing my Niaspan to 1,000 mgs (1 gram). Its not a big increase, I already take 750 mgs.  Maybe it will help, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

sigh.  :'(

Mark
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 10:48:31 pm by aztecan »
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: As Ray said . . .
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 11:06:36 pm »
I make jokes about throwing up my hands and giving up myself because like you I have tried pretty damn hard to improve my problems with these issues . You have gone much futher in trying to improve your issues than I have been able to muster and have been an inspiration to me .

I wish I had the perfect answer for you but all I have to offer is that I'm searching for that answer also . This lipid cholesterol issue seems to be a tough one for us long term survivors . My doctors cant seem to offer me anything in the way of a solution and that's troubling too .

Good luck Mark ... and hang in there . BIG HUG , Jeff .    
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 11:45:58 pm »
Mark, I threw my hands up a yr ago when I discovered i had GI-disease, so I just do whatever is required of my SIBO-diet, it's hard to sick to, but, if I don't do it, I'll suffer even more, aint old age fun  ;D I know this isn't really helpful, but ya know, what else is there to do, I just take it a day at a time, so cheer up Markus.....ok I can relate to all of this, and last check, my lipids aint all that great either , but I'm not gonna stress over any of it anymore ;)

"Throws hands in the air" and go's back into my hole, the same one I came outta of to post this little tidbit"
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline wolfter

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 09:16:31 am »
Yep, sometimes all we can do is the best we can do.  You're doing everything correctly so just follow the course.  Those numbers aren't horrible by no means, but I understand you expecting them to be better.  I've dealt with this issue for years and only recently starting having great numbers.  I started Isentress about 2 years ago and your comment has me a bit concerned.  I hope my latest results aren't a temporary result because of that. 

Wolfie
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 10:48:41 am »
Thanks all. I was just a bit rattled last night.

I will try to tweak the diet a bit further, making sure no hidden fats are sneaking in, and then just go with it.

This is one of those times I wish I could add one more pill to the regimen - some kind of statin.

But, since that's not possible, I will do what I can do.

Dennis, you're right. Stressing over the numbers doesn't help anything. Hmmm, maybe I should increase my intake of Merlot?  ;)

Hey Wolfie, regarding the Isentress, my observations are purely anecdotal and may only apply to me. When I first switched, the difference between my PI regimen and my current regimen was astounding.

My numbers are still much better than they were, so while they have increased, they are still not as bad as they have been.

So, there is reason to hope.

Anyway, thanks again y'all.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 12:50:25 pm »
Mark honey, I'm sorry you didn't get a 'better' report....but as we all know, you are doing everything you know to do, and that is all any of us could do (and a heck of a lot more than most of us do already)  You have been and continue to be an inspiration to me.

HUGS,

Alan   :-*
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2011, 03:33:54 pm »
Like everyone here Mark I wish your results mirrored the work you put into it , I cannot help thinking that without that work your numbers could be really high. Throwing hands up in the air well its all part off living with this thing which you do with a great deal off grace Mark.
with love
m
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2011, 05:49:45 pm »

I will try to tweak the diet a bit further, making sure no hidden fats are sneaking in, and then just go with it.

HUGS,

Mark

Mark, I understand, where your coming from.  Honestly, for me,  I don't think I can tweak it anymore.  I am all tweaked out. I really don't believe I can improve my diet any more than I have.

If my numbers stay at the point they were last time, I'm just thinking this is the best I can do:

CHOLESTEROL                        219 High    mg/dL    <200

CHOLESTEROL.IN HDL    64    mg/dL    >40

CHOLESTEROL.IN LDL    130    mg/dL    <130

CHOLESTEROL.IN HDL    3.4               <5.0

TRIGLYCERIDE                      126    mg/dL    <150

I Still need to loose another 5-10 pounds, and hopefully I can get some more improvement on these, numbers. ( at least that's what the doc tells me )  :-\

EDITED TO ADD:  This time of the year will not do my body or weight any good !  ::)

Hugs---Ray

« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 05:57:08 pm by J.R.E. »
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2011, 07:54:28 pm »
Thanks all. I was just a bit rattled last night.

Dennis, you're right. Stressing over the numbers doesn't help anything. Hmmm, maybe I should increase my intake of Merlot?  ;)

HUGS,

Mark

Mark honey, I had to give up Merlot last yr. so no grapes-of wrath for me  ??? it's against my SIBO-Diet, in fact no fresh ANYTHING for me EVER  :( everything I now eat has to be fully cooked , and NO dairy products @ all , so don't feel bad about any of this, life is too dam short Markus  :-*
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.