Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 07:45:28 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 213
Total: 213

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Risks in unprotected oral - Testing necessary??  (Read 9125 times)

Offline WILLIAM

Risks in unprotected oral - Testing necessary??
« on: October 11, 2006, 02:17:25 pm »
Hello there. This is my first post here, but I must say that I've been reading posts and all the lessons for some while ago, and I really find this is the best source of information worldwide for everything concerning VIH and AIDS. You do an extraordinary excellent job.

On may 25th I had a relation with a girl including: First, I masturbate myself until cumming. After that, and cleaning a little bit the penis with water (but just a little bit) we had protected with condom vaginal intercourse without ejaculation, she gave me a non-protected blowjob without ejaculating and I practised a non-protected superficial less than 1 minute lasting cunnilingus on her.

The thing is that I had almost forgotten the incident because I thought that my risk was 0. But the thing is that 5 weeks ago me and my girlfriend (we've been together for 4 years, the above has been my only sexual experience  besides my girlfriend) decided to go for a kid so we had unprotected intercourse. After 3 weeks she got a flu, and heavy back pain.  Since then, my anxiety has been increasing and increasing. I have a terrible sythom: I've been asthmatic for some years, but noe, I'm coughing all the day (I mean, every minute I cough. It's not dry cough, but transparent productive cough). I'm all the time taking my temperature (sometimes it's normal -36.5 celsius- sometimes it rises a little bit - 37 celsius-. I also have had diarrhea for 2 weeks now. I'm very very frightened now.

I know that the risks are low for having been infected, but I've read many places on the net that risk is low but not non existant. Moreover, doctors I've asked say that there is a (little) risk on there.

I can't even sleep, feel very tired and a lot of fatigue, can't concentrate at work,.. and this coughing all the time. I feel so anxious that I'm thinking of getting tested. The two questions are:

1. Can you evaluate my risks of having been infected with VIH from the may 25th realation.

2. If i get tested, do I have to wait until they find if I have some kind of virus, flu, pneumonia or something (explaining my cough) in case these things can interfere the VIH test?

Thank you so much for your time and excuse me for my poor english.. it's not my language.

Offline RapidRod

Re: Risks in unprotected oral - Testing necessary??
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2006, 02:43:34 pm »
You do not need to test from the information you have given. Please read the "Welcome" thread at the top of the forum page.

Offline WILLIAM

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2006, 04:16:28 pm »
Thanks RapidRod for the super fast answer. I had already read the "Welcome" thread,... but, you know, there's always these 2 cases of infection by cunnilingus and all the other sites whixh say there is a low risk in these practices....

I case I want to test, just for a peace of mind, 'cause from what you say there is no real risk of infection, do I have to wait until they find if I have some kind of virus, flu, pneumonia or something (explaining my cough) in case these things can interfere the VIH test?

Thanks again.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2006, 04:57:04 pm »
William, if you want to get tested for your own peace of mind you can do so at anytime, irrespective of any other infections or whatever that you're concerned about. I certainly expect you will test negative.

Just keep using a latex condom everytime you have intercourse and you will be fine as far as HIV is concerned.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline WILLIAM

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2006, 05:12:15 am »
Thank you for your advise. I really don't know if it's better for me to get tested or not. You've said there's no need to, 'cause oral cunnilingus and receptive blowjob are the only non protected practises I've done and you say these are non-risky... I'm afraid that  if I get tested I'm gonna be even more anxious waiting the two or  three weeks for the results, and I'm already too much. I'm already taking medication for anxiety. So I don't know what to do...

But, anyway, thank you a lot for your advise. I'm really greatful. You do an extremely good job here.

Offline WILLIAM

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2006, 08:11:48 am »
Excuse me, one more thing: my doctor keeps on saying i need testing since i had unprotected oral. This really frightens me a lot. Why do some doctors believe these are risky situations?? He asked me for my oral care, and the girl's oral care, which I really don't know, because she's from another country and we haven't met since then. And it's not very nice to ask her for his oral care...... I sometimes have blood when I brush my teeth,... and I remember I brushed them before the situation with this girl.... I'm confused.

I would appreciate you reassurance on the non risky situation in case there was some blood on our mouths....

Offline WILLIAM

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2006, 05:40:46 am »
Hello. Please, can anyone give me advise on this? I would be very greatful. I mean, the supposed increase in the risk if blood is present in small quantities in our mouths.... Many many places through the net it says it increases risks in both felatio and cunnilingus. Theoretical only or real one??

I know that the risk is low anyway ,... but should I assume is non-existant?? As for not being necessary to get tested I mean.

Thank you very much

Offline WILLIAM

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2006, 06:57:18 am »
Sorry, no response. Any advice, please?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2006, 07:13:31 am »
William,

I'm afraid I couldn't possibly tell you why your doctor doesn't know what he's talking about.

The risk of oral is purely theoretical. Have you bothered to read the Transmission Lesson? It's all discussed there.

Those two cases of cunnilingus you mention were never proven - they were only what the patients claimed. Many people won't admit to unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse. And when you think about it, two cases in all the cases of going down on a woman that happen every hour of every day? Forget about it. Going down on a woman is not a risk. If it were, we'd have proven cases, which we do not, despite hiv being around for over twenty five years.

You didn't have a risk.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline WILLIAM

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2006, 07:53:54 am »
Thank you a lot Ann and everybody in AidsMeds. From your words, I'm assuming that the blood issue is not a thing to worry about.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2006, 09:52:39 am »
William,

Did I say "but if..."? Did I say "except when..."?

You didn't have a risk.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline WILLIAM

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2006, 09:59:39 am »
So clear. Thank you Ann.

I'm gonna keep on using condoms every time there is intercourse and I'll try to keep out of my mind this anxiety about this incident in particular.

Thanks again.

Offline WILLIAM

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2006, 07:12:34 am »
Hello again. It's been some months since my last post. Since then I've been visitng the psychologist about my irrational fear to HIV/AIDS. Things have been getting better until two weeks now, because some things have happened again in terms of symptoms which make me feel so down and absolutely anxious again. I know you would probably say I don't have to worry but please, help me in getting some things clear, 'cause my mind is so tricky and everything leads to HIV...:

- I have been developing for some weeks now a huge burning sensation in the laterals of my tongue, which turned to three not big white patches. I'm so afraid searching the net, because everything leads me not to thrush ('cause patches cannot be whipped off) but to Oral Hairy Leukoplakia. I'm going to see doctor on that, but it triggers anxiety because they always end up in the "do you had an HIV test lately?".

- Have had a persistant pain in the left groin area and the left armpit. Don't know if it can be due to swollen lymph nodes, .... but the pain it's been there for some months now. Maybe other STD ('cause I've had persistant discomfort on my penis in the last months, but took a urine test and everything seemed fine, said the doctor)

- Face dermathitis.

Can be this symptoms due to extreme anxiety? I know you aren't here to discuss symptoms, and I'm sorry for keeping on asking about them but, you know, I keep on reading these statistics about those thousands people who may have HIV an they don't know, and these rare cases of infection through oral sex... and keep thinking this could be me.

I've only been sexually active with my girlfriend (8 last years) except for that oral episode in may. Do my new symptoms change anything (white patches on tongue, dermatithis) about my possible risk? Should I be scared about any other STD such as Syphillis. Does it cause this symptoms?

I would aprreciate your assesment again.

Thank you.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2006, 08:20:45 am »
If you were to test positive then it would be from the girl friend. You didn't get infected from you masterbating or going down on the other girl. If you have symptoms, see a doctor. It's unrelated to HIV.

Offline WILLIAM

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2006, 05:20:43 am »
Rhanks for the answer Rapid. I guess you're right, and that's a thing that I've only been thingking about lately: the more plausible possibility my girlfriend is hiv+ and didn't know. We've never been tested and now I'm becoming too scared about this possibility. In fact, since september she is getting flu everytime, coughing all the time, with a lot of mucousity. 2 or 3 fever episodes. 1 little thorat infection... She is a tecaher of 4 year old kids for the first time since september, and that could be an explanation, inf fact the doctor tell her always so, but.... I can't keep out of my mind that there is the hiv+ explanation. She also has had yeast infections quite often since I know her...

The thing is that it's difficult for me to ask her to test together for hiv,... she has been "suffering" my hypochondria for months and months and I don't want to scare her as well abut this possibility I'm sure she has never ever even think about after 8 years living together...

Do you really think her symptoms (and mine, by the way...) could be due to hiv? Should we test so?

Thanks again and sorry to keep it on....

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2006, 08:14:34 am »
William,

You and your girlfriend should have tested together before you ever stopped using condoms. I do not think you were infected through your oral experience outside your relationship, but you have no way of knowing if hiv wasn't already a part of your relationship. The only way to know is to test.

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL STIs together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with a sexually transmitted infection. Sex with a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results. Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline WILLIAM

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2006, 09:21:02 am »
Thanks Ann for rapid answer. Anyway, I'm now so so so scared about this. Sounds all these symptoms coherent with HIV?

so desperate now...

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2006, 09:57:04 am »
William,

Symptoms or even the lack of symptoms means nothing when it comes to hiv infection. The ONLY way to know your hiv status is through testing.

Nothing you've written leads me to think you'd test positive, but the only way to know - if you've been having uprotected intercourse - is through testing.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline WILLIAM

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2006, 03:18:18 pm »
Thanks Ann and everybody. Your work is so so so helpful.

Offline WILLIAM

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2007, 11:35:28 am »
hello. writing just to say that i tested negative on HIV.... but positive for chlamydia. my doctor says it's only theoretical to get chlamydia from oral and that it doesn't happen in the real life (not like gonhorrea), and if so, very rare to have been carrying it for 9 months. so, i must assume i got it from my girlfriend. i know this is an hiv forum, but, can someone tell me if it's that impossible to get chlamyidia from oral and been carrying it for 9 months?

thank you very much for your help. you guys do a great job.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2007, 11:46:02 am »
Oh but it does happen in real life and it is not theoretical.

Chlamydia can be transmitted during vaginal, anal, or oral sex. Chlamydia can also be passed from an infected mother to her baby during vaginal childbirth.

Any sexually active person can be infected with chlamydia. The greater the number of sex partners, the greater the risk of infection. Because the cervix (opening to the uterus) of teenage girls and young women is not fully matured, they are at particularly high risk for infection if sexually active. Since chlamydia can be transmitted by oral or anal sex, men who have sex with men are also at risk for chlamydial infection.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.