Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:34:18 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772950
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 470
Total: 471

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Red irritation in skin crease/fold on crotch  (Read 127839 times)

Offline gregftl

• Standard
Red irritation in skin crease/fold on crotch
« on: November 30, 2010, 06:19:42 pm »
This is a really embarrassing question. About a week ago i was taking a shower and i was washing my crotch area and i noticed the crease area where the upper leg and the pelvis meet burned a bit when i put body wash on it. Just came out of nowhere. Got out of the shower and looked in the mirror and there was a long red irritated ling in that crease. The line is about 1/3" wide and it goes from my upper pelvis where the crease starts down to the crease near the balls. The inner part of the red is a bit tannish/brownish. I have been putting neosporin on it for a week now it seemed to be getting better and went from feeling irritated to being itchy. (although it does still burn when i put body wash on it in the shower). When i'm sitting on the couch i normally lay upright on my left side (the same side where that crease is irritated). Could this be jock itch?.  Others concur it might just be jock itch and caused from rubbing/sweating in that skin crease and maybe instead of neosporin try some anti-fungal cream. My right side of my crotch is fine.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 07:48:05 pm by gregftl »

Offline odyssey

• Mutiny of the neurons!
Re: Red irritation in skin fold on crotch
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 06:55:45 pm »
This is a really embarrassing question. About a week ago i was taking a shower and i was washing my crotch area and i noticed the crease area where the upper leg and the pelvis meet burned a bit when i put body wash on it. Just came out of nowhere. Got out of the shower and looked in the mirror and there was a long red irritated ling in that crease. The line is about 1/2 wide and it goes from my upper pelvis where the crease starts down to the crease near the balls. The inner part of the red is a bit tannish/brownish. I have been putting neosporin on it for a week now it seemed to be getting better and went from feeling irritated to being itchy. (although it does still burn when i put body wash on it in the shower). Another thing is i'm slightly overweight and i have a small skin fold along that crease. When i'm sitting on the couch i normally lay upright on my left side (the same side where that crease is irritated). Could this be jock itch? Because since i do have that slight skin fold and i spend most of my time on my left side when i'm watching tv it might get sweaty in there. Any ideas? Others concur it might just be jock itch and caused from rubbing/sweating in that skin fold and maybe instead of neosporin try some anti-fungal cream? My right side of my crotch is fine. That crease isnt red at all but i never lay in a position where the skin folds on that side.

The best advice I can give you is to go get your crotch itch checked out by a professional, i.e. a doctor/nurse practitioner/physician's assistant/whatever. We can't see what's going on with your junk (and probably don't want to) and we aren't qualified to diagnose you over the internet, nor to prescribe any sort of treatment online anyway. Best bet is to drag you red marked pelvic area along with the rest of you to a clinic or something and get it looked at!

odyssey
01/09/09- diagnosed HIV+
01/16/09   CD4-425    22%  VL- 32,415
11/09- started Reyetaz/Norvir/Truvada
03/10- stopped R/N/T
10/18/11   CD4- 328   20%  VL- 84,000
10/25/11   CD4- 386   22%
10/28/11- start Truvada/Reyetaz/Norvir
12/30/11  CD4- 523  29%
03/08/12  CD4- 503  31%  VL 57
07/02/12  CD4- 897  43%
08/31/12  CD4- 745  39%
12/27/12  CD4- 884  40%
03/28/13  CD4- 819  39%
07/19/13  CD4- 739  40%
10/17/13  CD4- 535  36%
01/16/14  CD4- 743  43%

02/14- switched from R/N/T to Tivicay/Epzicom because of CKD 3 suspected from tenofovir.

03/14- switched back to R/N/T due to severe nausea and inability to eat on T/E.

04/01/14 CD4- 898  42%   VL-

Offline gregftl

• Standard
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 07:44:51 pm »
I just talked to my doctor and she said she was 99.9 percent sure it's just jock itch / fungal infection. She told me to go to walgreens and get some anti-fungal cream (Lotrimin preferred) and that should take care of it. She said if it wasnt better by the weekend to come see her on Monday.

Oh and Odyseyy what a pissy pissy reply. Such a witch. What I have going on is just a thin red line that itches running down the crease in my crotch. It's not like i've got big huge blisters and puss oooozing out of my crotch area.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 08:28:03 pm by gregftl »

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 07:48:41 pm »
I have had that in the past and it will go away quickly if you also keep it dry and air it out.  Use some corn starch, you know, the powder also and it will make you feel a lot better in about 2 seconds.  If you dont do so already, sleep w/o any pjs or underwear on for the next few nights too.  Just my 2 cents worth. 

Offline gregftl

• Standard
Re: Red irritation in skin crease/fold on crotch
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 07:55:11 pm »
Yah good idea. I think i'm gonna get the Lotrimin AF powder it has corn starch in it.

U think while i'm sitting on the couch watching TV i should keep my shorts off? I normally sit around in those long shiny basketball shorts but i notice when i'm sitting down they kind of bind up in those creases in my crotch.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 08:00:48 pm by gregftl »

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 08:10:55 pm »
I would go naked as much as I could when I had that issue and it happened a few times (mainly in hot humid weather).  Of course, I lived alone and had some privacy to do so.  Then again, I would go naked most of the time when I got home from work... just felt good and the cat did not seem to mind. 

Offline gregftl

• Standard
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 08:15:57 pm »
LOL well i live with my partner i dont think he'll mind me sitting and walking around without any shorts or underwear on! :-p.

Offline ds4146

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2010, 08:46:13 pm »
Based on the photo you have currently posted, I would be better able to help you if you could post a photo of that "area" infected. Perhaps it just needs a good blow dry!

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2010, 10:03:18 pm »
LOL well i live with my partner i dont think he'll mind me sitting and walking around without any shorts or underwear on! :-p.
ROFL, anything to sit around in the buff. Make sure you let your b/f know it is for medical purposes instead of an open invitation.

Offline gregftl

• Standard
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2010, 11:25:13 pm »
Thanks Inchlingblue for that product only thing is if it's fungal that cream wont help. I have the anti fungus cream on and it's moisturizing it pretty good and it doesnt itch there anymore. But still if this isnt better by the weekend i'm going to see my DR on monday

Offline northernguy

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2010, 11:39:32 pm »
Welcome to my world.  The itchy red crotch is just one of the constellation of skin syndromes HIV brought me.  I've had it diagnosed as eczema, seborrheic dermatitis, even psoriasis.  Cortisone cream seems to knock it back, but you can't use it too long as the skin is delicate in that area.  See if your GP can recommend a dermatologist.

Once it morphed into a fungal infection which was red and weepy.  Real nice. Prescription ketoconazole got rid of it after a couple weeks.
Apr 28/06 cd4 600 vl 10,600 cd% 25
Nov 8/09 cd4 510 vl 49,5000 cd% 16
Jan 16/10 cd4 660 vl 54,309 cd% 16
Feb 17/10 Started Atripla
Mar 7/10 cd4 710 vl 1,076 cd% 21
Apr 18/10 cd4 920 vl 268 cd% 28
Jun 19/10 cd4 450 vl 60 cd% 25
Aug 15/10 cd4 680 vl 205 cd% 27
Apr 3/11 cd4 780 vl <40 cd% 30
Jul 17/11 cd4 960 vl <40 cd%33
April 15/12 cd4 1,010 vl <40 cd% 39
April 20/12 Switched to Viramune + Truvada
Aug 2/12 cd4 1040, vl <40, cd% 38
Oct 19 cd4 1,110 vl <40 cd% 41

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2010, 11:46:12 pm »
Yes, I would like to see a pic of it.  I usually get that kind of thing in the summer when there is a lot of sweating going on down there.  I also got this huge bump on my thigh next to my junk that the doc said was just an in-grown hair.  I ended up squeezing it and I've never seen so much stuff come out---so smelly, too.  Sorry for being gross.  It seems underwear causes fungal infections and things like in-grown hairs.  Maybe it is best to go commando.   

Offline littleprince

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2010, 02:20:00 am »
I'd go with the fungal cream. One thing I've found very useful is anti dandruff shampoo for daily use to prevent a lot of skin problems. Yes, I know it sounds strange but anti dandruff shampoo contains pyrithione zinc which is an anti-fungal and anti-bacterial. I've had a lot of strange skin problems and have found head & shoulders works amazingly well for more than just your head.

Offline gregftl

• Standard
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2010, 02:28:17 am »
Well I sent a pic of it earlier to my doctor and she said it's Cutaneous Candidiasis. A fungal/yeast infection. She said to use 2% Miconazole cream and powder to get rid of it.

I'll attach a pic please excuse all the hair i'm usually completely shaved but i've been lazy lately lol

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2010, 02:58:33 am »
ouch, buddy. Hope that heals up quickly.

and the hair is allllll good. ;) 8) :D
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2010, 08:36:19 am »

Oh and Odyseyy what a pissy pissy reply. Such a witch.

Greg, while it's one thing to comment on a person's behaviour (pissy reply), it's another to resort to name calling. Please don't do that!
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline gregftl

• Standard
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2010, 01:51:42 pm »
Then maybe warn the other person not to be so mean. Name calling and just being flat out mean are the same in my book if you are gonna tell me not to name call then tell the other person to be more respectful!

Offline MarcoPoz

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2010, 02:16:06 pm »
Good mannered 'ribbing' coming: 

1)  really?.... Body wash?  really?

2) This is your first case of jock itch and you're how old?

3) It's why 'back in the day' we used Talcum powder, my boy.

4) Sometimes it's a beotch to get rid of completely if it's in an area where shorts rub consistently.  May have to switch styles for a bit.
5) don't scratch at it--it makes it MUCH worse.

Offline MarcoPoz

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2010, 02:17:30 pm »
Yes, I would like to see a pic of it.  I usually get that kind of thing in the summer when there is a lot of sweating going on down there.  I also got this huge bump on my thigh next to my junk that the doc said was just an in-grown hair.  I ended up squeezing it and I've never seen so much stuff come out---so smelly, too.  Sorry for being gross.  It seems underwear causes fungal infections and things like in-grown hairs.  Maybe it is best to go commando.  

An yet ONE MORE reason I wear kilts!  ;D

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2010, 02:40:27 pm »
Then maybe warn the other person not to be so mean. Name calling and just being flat out mean are the same in my book if you are gonna tell me not to name call then tell the other person to be more respectful!

I do not see the meanness in pointing out to you that nobody can diagnose you over the internet and that you should show your rash to a doctor. That's all he was doing. If it's the part where he says "and probably don't want to" in regards to seeing your rash that's got you feeling all hurt, I doubt very much that it was meant personally - rashes can be kinda yucky to look at, donchathink?

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline PeteNYNJ

• When life gives you AIDS...make LemonAIDS!
    • Dance for Me, Puppets
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2010, 02:48:43 pm »
Looks like jock itch to me - I had it in college a few times.  That over the counter spray helped take away the burn and clear it up.  If it doesn't go away on on it's own or gets worse the doctor can perscribe something with a bit more umph to it. 

Offline odyssey

• Mutiny of the neurons!
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2010, 05:07:09 pm »
I do not see the meanness in pointing out to you that nobody can diagnose you over the internet and that you should show your rash to a doctor. That's all he was doing. If it's the part where he says "and probably don't want to" in regards to seeing your rash that's got you feeling all hurt, I doubt very much that it was meant personally - rashes can be kinda yucky to look at, donchathink?

Just to throw in my input here, I really didn't mean to offend you nor be mean. I was simply trying to offer helpful advice. And the comment about not wanting to see it was based on the rash. In general, medical stuff can be icky, no matter what it is. If it weren't a rash, I'm sure more than half of us on here would be more than thrilled to see pics of your stuff, given the number of horny gay men on this board, lol. I'm sorry if I offended you, that was not my intention.

odyssey
01/09/09- diagnosed HIV+
03/10- stopped R/N/T
12/30/11  CD4- 523  29%
07/02/12  CD4- 897  43%
08/31/12  CD4- 745  39%
12/27/12  CD4- 884  40%
03/28/13  CD4- 819  39%
07/19/13  CD4- 739  40%
10/17/13  CD4- 535  36%
01/16/14  CD4- 743  43%

02/14- switched from R/N/T to Tivicay/Epzicom because of CKD 3 suspected from tenofovir.

Offline gregftl

• Standard
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2010, 12:29:11 am »
Thanks for the apology.

And btw Ann I did send a picture of it to my Doc she was in the clinic late and she did give me a diagnosis she knew exactly what it was just but looking at the pic that I posted on here.

Cutaneous Candidiasis

« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 12:32:33 am by gregftl »

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2010, 12:50:19 am »
Greg, do you wear bikini or g-string underwear?  The place where the fungal infection is looks like exactly where those kind of underwear would sit against the skin.  I've had a much less prominate version of that.  Mine gets red and then goes away.  It feels like the skin has been rubbed raw there. 

On a side note-- My boxer-briefs must be getting a little tight these days, because when I take them off, the imprint of the brand-name is left on my skin.  Maybe no underwear or kilts are the way to go.  Hope it clears up quickly. 

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2010, 01:47:25 am »
Greg, I'm glad you got it sorted. Hope the cream works quickly.

On a side note-- My boxer-briefs must be getting a little tight these days, because when I take them off, the imprint of the brand-name is left on my skin.

That's just 'cuz you're such an impressionable young man! ;D

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Cliff

« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2010, 02:44:04 am »
Glad it's sorted, but am with Ted, if you're using bikini-type underwear you may want to consider briefs.

Offline gregftl

• Standard
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2010, 11:03:50 am »
Nope I dont wear any underwear.  Never have I find them too binding. I go commando! Plus I live in ft lauaderdale it's hot enough hear without adding another layer of clothes (underwear). lol. I just like the free feeling .....so no that's not the problem (bikini underwear rubbing there).

Offline odyssey

• Mutiny of the neurons!
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2010, 06:46:31 pm »
Just to throw a tip at you. You mentioned you are on the larger side. I am as well. I'm also a transguy, and before I had my chest surgery I used to wear a binder every day to compress my chest and hide my you know whats. Well, lets just say that was just asking for a rash to develop from the sweating and the heat and all. I found that either putting antiperspirant/deodorant on or baby powder (the cornstarch kind, not the talc kind) in the morning before I got dressed helped reduce the problem.

Of course, if you go the deodorant route, I would warn you to let your rash heal before you put it on the first time, because you do NOT want to be putting that stuff on broken skin. It'll burn like all hell and probably just make it worse. But once everything is cleared up, the sweat blocking effect might be helpful in keeping future rashes away. It might be worth a shot!

odyssey
01/09/09- diagnosed HIV+
03/10- stopped R/N/T
12/30/11  CD4- 523  29%
07/02/12  CD4- 897  43%
08/31/12  CD4- 745  39%
12/27/12  CD4- 884  40%
03/28/13  CD4- 819  39%
07/19/13  CD4- 739  40%
10/17/13  CD4- 535  36%
01/16/14  CD4- 743  43%

Offline gregftl

• Standard
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2010, 01:02:14 am »
Yah i'm going to do the powder thing after this heals. Lotrimin makes a deodorant anti fungal spray powder that i think i'm going to use everyday after this is over. Doc said it could take up to 14 days to go away. Ugh.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 01:04:05 am by gregftl »

Offline gregftl

• Standard
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2010, 02:40:57 pm »
n/m
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 04:52:37 pm by gregftl »

Offline David_CA

« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2010, 04:18:43 pm »
Well I sent a pic of it earlier to my doctor and she said it's Cutaneous Candidiasis. A fungal/yeast infection. She said to use 2% Miconazole cream and powder to get rid of it.

I'll attach a pic please excuse all the hair i'm usually completely shaved but i've been lazy lately lol

Why apologize about body hair?  Men are supposed to have body hair! ;) 

At any rate, I have to work to prevent jock itch or any of those other fun things 'down there'.  I blow dry my privates and apply a dusting of medicated body powder after every shower.  If I miss a day or two, all hell breaks loose and I've got to start with the anti-fungals, etc. 
Black Friday 03-03-2006
03-23-06 CD4 359 @27.4% VL 75,938
06-01-06 CD4 462 @24.3% VL > 100,000
08-15-06 CD4 388 @22.8% VL >  "
10-21-06 CD4 285 @21.9% VL >  "
  Atripla started 12-01-2006
01-08-07 CD4 429 @26.8% VL 1872!
05-08-07 CD4 478 @28.1% VL 740
08-03-07 CD4 509 @31.8% VL 370
11-06-07 CD4 570 @30.0% VL 140
02-21-08 CD4 648 @32.4% VL 600
05-19-08 CD4 695 @33.1% VL < 48 undetectable!
08-21-08 CD4 725 @34.5%
11-11-08 CD4 672 @39.5%
02-11-09 CD4 773 @36.8%
05-11-09 CD4 615 @36.2%
08-19-09 CD4 770 @38.5%
11-19-09 CD4 944 @33.7%
02-17-10 CD4 678 @39.9%  
06-03-10 CD4 768 @34.9%
09-21-10 CD4 685 @40.3%
01-10-11 CD4 908 @36.3%
05-23-11 CD4 846 @36.8% VL 80
02-13-12 CD4 911 @41.4% VL<20
You must be the change you want to see in the world.  Mahatma Gandhi

Offline gregftl

• Standard
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2010, 04:53:14 pm »
Just an update on my situation as u know I sent a picture of my area of irritation to my doctor (and put it on here) and she diagnosed it as Cutaneous Candidiasis. Well last monday i decided to go into see my doctor in person b/c the area didnt seem to be responding. She looked at the area and changed her diagnosis to Tinea Cruris but it is the same treatment for both and she prescribed me Ketoconazole cream and some oral Fluconazole 100mg tablets for 14 days since the area doesnt seem to be responding. I asked her to take a culture of the area just so we could be 100 percent sure what we were dealing with but she refused and said she didnt need to b/c she was sure what is was. I guess she is psychic. Well it's now been 11 days since I started treatment and the area has gotten maybe just a TAD bit better .....just a tad. I was doing some research on the subject and there is another condition that affects the groin folds called Inverse Psoriasis. I am still really confused as to why my doctor didnt take the safe router and do a culture on the area. This is extremely frustrating I think I might just go see a dermatologist and have him do a culture on it. I'm doing everything i'm supposed to be doing in terms of treating the area but it just doesnt seem to be responding. My doctor even suggested adding some hydrocortisone 1% to the area to help with the redness/irritation but that doesnt seem to help either. Anyone else ever had this condition and it taken alot longer to heal than u were told or expected? Doc said 14 days total but she said the area should have cleared up in 7 days but u have to keep the treatments going for an additional 7 days just to make sure all the fungus is all gone but things just dont seem to be working out for me and my doctor thinks she is. Attaching what the area looks like right now u guys can scroll up an look at the orginal picture and see if u can see a difference. DOES IT LOOK ANY BETTER??

Offline gregftl

• Standard
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2010, 06:14:18 pm »
Anyone on here with a history with fungal/yeast infections in the crotch/groin fold area have an experience where it took longer than 2 weeks (with treatment) for it go heal/get better? I've been putting ketoconazole 2% cream on this twice a day........the doc prescribed me oral Fluconazole 100mg and I've been taking that for 1 week now (1 each day).........she also told me to mix in some hydrocortisone 1% cream in there to help the redness/inflammation. It's funny at some times during the day the area will turn from a red color to a light pink/tannish color but always in the morning is when it looks it's worst. I'm kind of at a loss of what to do here i'm doing everything I'm supposed to be doing. If this goes much longer I guess maybe I might need to see a dermatologist b/c there is a condition called Inverse Psoriasis that has the same symptoms as a groin fold yeast/fungal infection. I sure wish my doctor would have taken a culture of it when i was in there to see her last week just to be 100 percent sure. I asked her to but she refused b/c she said she was sure she knew it was a fungal/yeast infection. I guess she thinks she is psychic!!!

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2010, 06:19:00 pm »
Based on the pics it looks to have gotten a BIT better, assuming the lighting conditions were the same for both pics.

If your insurance covers it I'd wait a few more days and if it's still not way better I'd go see a dermatologist.

Offline gregftl

• Standard
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2010, 10:13:06 pm »
i dont have insurance i get my medical care thru ryan white. only thing about going to a dermatologist is if they do a culture of it and test it .....i was thinking it might come back a false negative since i have been treating it. i might have to go off the creams for a week (that is, if it doesnt get better) for maybe a week or so and let the fungus/yeast grow back and then go in for a culture. at least that's the research i've done online. u have to get the culture done before treatment or stop treatment for a while then have it done.....unfortunately all that i've read online is that u cant do a culture during treatment and expect an accurate result
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 10:15:03 pm by gregftl »

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2010, 01:23:45 am »
When I looked up Tinea Cruris on mayoclinic.com, I was surprised they stated Tinea Cruris, or jock itch, is rarely serious except possibly in those with compromised immune systems.  I wondered what they meant by "serious".  It said people with weaken immune systems are more at risk.  I did not know jock itch could be spread from person to person through using the same towels or sexual contact.  Learn something new everyday.  It also said tinea cruris could also cause anal itching--which leads me to below: 

About your doc not taking a culture-- I kept complaining to my doc about redness, burning, and itching around my anus.  He looked and said he didn't think it was hemorrhoids.  He said he could treat me for herpes.  I said I would want to know what it is before treating it with meds that may not be necessary and wouldn't work.  I finally got him to send me to a colorectal doc and they diagnosed me with Pruritus Ani.  It is mainly caused for the same reasons as jock itch--too much moisture, but especially using soap on your anus and washing it too hard and using toilet paper.  I felt not using soap there wouldn't be very hygienic, but they said you don't really need soap--just hot water.  Since stop washing with soap and being more careful with toilet paper, it has gotten a lot better.  Besides keeping areas dry to avoid jock itch, I don't know whether soaps cause issues. 

Anyway, I hope it clears up for ya.  I know you mentioned not wearing underwear, but maybe try changing your pants or shorts a couple times per day--and dry the area really good??     

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2010, 05:16:23 am »
Soap causes issues because it can irritate sensitive or delicate skin. When skin is irritated, it is more open to colonisation (overgrowth) by various pathogens, including fungal-type infections (thrush, jock-itch, etc) and bacterial infections. Things like jock-itch can be more serious in immuno-compromised people because it can be more difficult to get rid of and if a person scratches the resulting itch too much, it opens the door for a secondary bacterial infection.

As hiv positive people, we are more prone to fungal and (other) viral infections, but not so much bacterial. However, secondary bacterial infections due to untreated or insufficiently treated fungal or viral infections are a concern.

People also need to realise that our skin is normally colonised by all sorts of things, including the fungi that can cause things like thrush or jock-itch. It is only when an overgrowth occurs that you have problems. Anti-biotic use - which also kills the "friendly" bacteria (which also normally colonises our bodies, inside and out) that keep such fungi in check - can cause an overgrowth as can having a compromised immune system.

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline gregftl

• Standard
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2010, 02:03:20 pm »
BTW, i'm not using soap to clean the area. I'm using Johnsons and Johnsons Baby Body wash.....it's 100 percent soap free, dye free and PH balanced.

Tednlou2, I wasnt diagnosed with jock itch that is just a fungus infection. My doc said i have Cutaneous Candidiasis which also has a yeast component with the fungus. Also i'm not having any problems with my anal area or my testicles they are just fine....no redness or itching. The only area that is irritated is the groin folds. I'll take ur advice on the soap i had been using Johnson's and Johnsons' Baby Body wash b/c i thought it was more senstive maybe when i take a shower i'll just wash my body and exclude the groin folds. I'll try that for a couple of days and see what happens. As of my last bloodwork test a couple of weeks ago i had over 900 tcells and no viral load.

Ann, you say using soaps on irritated skin can cause colonisation of fungus ....do u mean for people that arent currently taking fungal meds? B/c how can fungus grow even if i'm using a body wash (be it a baby body wash) even if it might irritate my skin i still put anti-fungal cream on after my showers and am also on oral Fluconazole 100mg....1 each day for 14 days. The half life of that medication is 30hrs.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 05:18:15 pm by gregftl »

Offline thaddeusclark

« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2011, 12:27:44 pm »
another option is prescription strength antiperspirant.  I have sweaty feet and engage in triathlons/ski marathons resulting in skin issues of my feet.  Last month my dermatologist suggested antiperspirant on my feet.  It sounded weird but i went to pick up the perscription and it has dried out my feet.  Drying out a problem region can reduce problems from athletes foot, other fungi, yeasts, and even warts. 

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.