Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:05:31 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 519
Total: 520

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Movember  (Read 2931 times)

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
Movember
« on: November 04, 2012, 10:13:21 am »
Last year a friend posted that he was participating in "Movember" and now that it has rolled around this year I decided to participate too. Movember is a public awareness and fund raising event to encourage men to take control of their health, know their family health history, and to be aware of the health issues men they should discuss with their doctor. It works like this:

• Start M(N)ovember 1st clean shaven
• Grow a moustache for the entire month of Movember
• No joining your moustache with your sideburns - that's a beard
• No joining your moustache under you chin - that's a goatee
• Conduct yourself like a true gentleman

When people comment on your new look you explain the reason for the change is to bring awareness to men's health issues such as:

•1 in 2 men, and 1 in 3 women, will be diagnosed with cancer in their lifetime.
•Evidence suggests that about a third of the 571,950 cancer deaths expected to occur will be related to obesity, physical inactivity and poor nutrition, and thus could be prevented.
•1 in 6 men will be diagnosed with prostate cancer in his lifetime.
•In 2012, 242,000 new cases of the disease will be diagnosed and more than 28,000 men will die of prostate cancer.
•Testicular cancer is the most common cancer in American males between the ages of 15 and 35.
•Researchers estimate that at least 6 million men in the United States suffer from a depressive disorder every year.
•Four times as many men commit suicide compared with women.
•24% of men are less likely to go to the doctor compared to women.

I wasn't sure how many people would comment when I shaved off my beard but I have talked to at least a dozen people about men's health issues in the past 3 days! Some of these conversations have been at length. My main point is always that people need to be informed, know their family history and talk to their doctor.

www.movember.com

Offline weasel

Re: Movember
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 02:46:25 pm »

Happy Movember ,
                                        That is a great  idea !

Weasel

P.S. I like the new look  ;)
" Live and let Live "

Offline Solo_LTSurvivor

• Twerk Baby Twerk
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 02:48:09 pm »
Funny you should post about this, Ford.

A few weekends back I streamed the latest documentary on Netflix by Morgan Spurlock called Mansome and he interviewed the guy who co-founded Movember.

As the film appeared to be more of a mocumentary (or at least it did to me) because it was extremely superficial and never really went into much depth on any one topic; with the exception of some competitive beard growing dude that I'd seen on some reality show on IFC -- you really would've missed the Movember guy speaking if you blinked.

Edited to correct auto-correction of mocumentary to "documentary" that I didn't catch before
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 02:53:44 pm by Solo_LTSurvivor »
don't equate intelligence with lack of masculinity
Jim Phelps, Mission Impossible

Seroconverted: Early 80s
Tested & confirmed what I already knew: early 90s

Current regimen: Biktarvy. 
Last regimen:  Atripla (with NO adverse side effects: no vivid dreams and NONE of the problems people who can't tolerate this drug may experience: color me lucky ::))
Past regimens
Fun stuff (in the past):  HAV/HBV, crypto, shingles, AIDS, PCP

Jan 2012: 818/21%
Apr 2012: 964/22%
Jul. 2012: 890/21%
Oct. 2012: 920/23%

Still UD after all these years

Offline GSOgymrat

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 02:54:15 pm »
A few weekends back I streamed the latest documentary on Netflix by Morgan Spurlock called Mansome and he interviewed the guy who co-founded Movember.

What a coincidence! I just Netflixed the first 30 minutes of Mansome on my lunch break last night.

Offline Solo_LTSurvivor

• Twerk Baby Twerk
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 02:57:57 pm »
PS: bonus points for finding Miss P in this bunch of mug shots  :o

Last regimen:  Atripla (with NO adverse side effects: no vivid dreams and NONE of the problems people who can't tolerate this drug may experience: color me lucky ::))
Past regimens

Offline Solo_LTSurvivor

• Twerk Baby Twerk
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 12:20:49 am »
What a coincidence! I just Netflixed the first 30 minutes of Mansome on my lunch break last night.

Did you finish it?  If so, what did you think?  I thought those little intermissions with Will Arnett and Jason Bateman were sooo gay.

Past regimens

Offline GSOgymrat

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 01:01:06 am »
Did you finish it?  If so, what did you think?  I thought those little intermissions with Will Arnett and Jason Bateman were sooo gay.

I finished it a couple of hours ago. It was much funnier than I expected. Will Arnett and Jason Bateman's banter made me want to rewatch Arrested Development. The focus group meeting for the "Fresh Balls" cream cracked me up-- "Uh, basically it is called what it does." I wish Spurlock would have explored some of the issues in more depth but he appeared to want to keep it light and funny. For example, Arnett and Bateman talked about taking responsibility for one's actions as being the hallmark of being a man (which I don't see as inherently male) but the behavior that appeared more spontaneous and more authentically masculine was when they started competing about who could handle the rougher massage. Jack Passion, with his amazing beard, doesn't grow it just for self expression, or to be distinctive, or to attract women (I think most would be repelled) but to compete with other men. Anyway, the movie made me laugh and think so I guess it was pretty good.

P.S. I learned a new term: "bat wings"  ;D
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 01:20:45 am by GSOgymrat »

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2012, 09:14:05 am »
I watched this too and while it was a documentary it was really light onto delving into the relationship between traditional masculinity, today's new norm of masculinity, and what male grooming has to do with those two things.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.