Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 09:02:46 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 795
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 593
Total: 594

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Please READ.. I need advice (19yrs)  (Read 3342 times)

Offline Nsa2014

• Standard
Please READ.. I need advice (19yrs)
« on: April 20, 2013, 09:00:14 pm »
I was at a party last night and had unprotected :'( sex with a 51 yer old guy!
So i was texting to him this morning and he said he was "undetectable hiv"
And i was shocked!! Im still so nervous and sad... Dont know what to do now,
I know i did wrong!! He also said he was "low viral" something like that and that
I was at no risk! Because i played the Top part, and he was the bottom!

My question is: Am I infected? Do I have a high risk?
Do I have to wait to get tested? How long?
 Please any advice will be appreciated!!
Thanks ...  :-[  :-[ :'(

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: Please READ.. I need advice (19yrs)
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 09:15:34 pm »
Hi 2014 . I have read your concerns carefully and you did have a risk for HIV if you had unprotected anal sex . You can test at 6 weeks past the time of the possible exposure and then again at 3 months to confirm the results .

You being top and if he is indeed undetectable ....and that means he is on treatment on with low levels of the virus then it could be considered low risk , but low risk does not mean no risk .

You also have the option to go see your doctor or go to the emergency room within 72 hours and ask about PEP . 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Nsa2014

• Standard
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2013, 09:42:19 pm »
Thank you so much for your reply!!
I also forgot to mention that I DID came inside him!

Is there a higher risk to get infected because of that?

So best advice is to go to the emergency room?

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2013, 09:54:47 pm »
Thank you so much for your reply!!
I also forgot to mention that I DID came inside him!

Is there a higher risk to get infected because of that?

So best advice is to go to the emergency room?

It makes no difference if copulation occurs when HIV is or isn't transmitted from one partner to another . Its your decision to make whether you choose PEP or not . Its also a matter of how much do you trust that the guy you topped was indeed of undetectable viral load . 

As I stated before , at best its low risk and low risk does not equal no risk so its your decision , I'm wishing you the best .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2013, 12:42:34 am »
Hey, I thought I'd chime in.

Your ehaculation had absolutely no bearing on your level of risk - which unfortunately runs from nearly zero to low-ish, depending on the veracity of your partners' statement.

In the absence of other stds which might cause a spike in viral load, a bottom with an undetectable viral load presents essentially no risk for transmission, especially if the sex is not traumatic.

However, here's the caveat. You don't know this guy. You don't know if he's telling the truth about his viral load or if he even knows it. Frankly I'd be a tad skeptical of some guy who randomly barebacks at a party. It's certainly not inconceivable that he's telling you the absolute truth - the fact that he called and disclosed after points in that direction.

But the thing is, you just don't know.

No matter what, chances are really really good that you'll come out of this ok. But please, in the future, please consider the option of using a condom. The momentary irritation is more than worth the peace of mind.

I honestly have no opinion one way or the other regarding pep. If its available at your local ER and if you can swing it, it will be pretty much a slam dunk that you will remain HIV negative. Otherwise you gave had a risk that ranges from exceedingly low to merely low-ish

I certainly hope that everything works out well for you. If you have more questions please don't hesitate to ask.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.