Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 11:35:16 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773198
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 580
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 486
Total: 486

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: HIV Criminalization - alive and well!  (Read 19068 times)

Offline elf

Re: HIV Criminalization - alive and well!
« Reply #50 on: June 07, 2012, 05:17:08 pm »
In Scandinavia (Norway, Sweden), you can get more jail time for not disclosing [with safe sex and no HIV transmission] than if you rape or kill someone.

In Belgium there was only one conviction (they used the ''poisoning'' law):
http://criminalhivtransmission.blogspot.com/search/label/Belgium

Sensoa, the Flemish service and expertise in sexual health, is concerned about the matter in Huy. "We are not asking for criminal prosecutions," said spokesman Boris Cruyssaert. "In neighboring countries, we see that it is counterproductive. It just makes the taboo, because nobody dares to know if they are infected."

"That does not mean that HIV patients should not share responsibility [for HIV prevention]," says Cruyssaert. "Only in the case of intentional transmission [should the criminal law be used].

Overall, this is a good blog on this topic:
http://criminalhivtransmission.blogspot.com
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 05:37:31 pm by elf »

Offline karry

« Reply #51 on: June 07, 2012, 08:38:29 pm »
I've been thinking about this thread for a couple of days and I noticed something similar among those who advocate for criminalizing HIV.  It seems that many of the posters either believe they were intentionally infected by someone, or they are unwilling to take responsibility for their own health.  Many of the arguments seem to take one of these two positions.

For those who believe they were intentionally infected, they seem to want society to do for them, what they failed to do for themselves; i.e. protect their own health.  They believe that they were wronged and being unwilling to take any personal responsibility, they want someone, anyone, to punish those who they see as predators.

The other argument I notice is the desire to have the law dictate how two adults should act, when both parties are equally responsible for safer sex.  Rather than actually asking a potential partner, about any possible issues.  Again, they want the law to require something, that they are either unwilling or unable to ask themselves..

My opinion is that many of these posters are newly infected and unable to be honest with themselves as to who is responsible for their own health.  That's why I think it's still very important that we discuss this issue, because far too many folks seem to be seeking revenge through the law.

Joe

Amen to that!
Take it a day at a time....and be positive about it too!

Offline forrest

« Reply #52 on: June 07, 2012, 10:41:29 pm »

Court of Appeals rules HIV-infected man's saliva not a weapon

"Because defendant's saliva too `came with him' -- indeed with his teeth -- its utility for penal enhancement may not be treated differently," Chief Judge Jonathan Lippman wrote. The six other judges concurred.

Huh Ha.. ha ha... He said, Penal.... ha ha... huh ha...   Penal    :o
2011-03-26:  Tested Positive

Date           |VL        |CD4 |4%  |CD8 |8%  |C4:C8
2011-04-06 |48,653 |603 |32.0 |646 |35.0 |0.61
2011-05-23 |64,324 |577 |36.0 |576 |36.0 |1.00
2011-08-02 |18,319 |574 |36.3 |587 |37.2 |0.98
2011-12-06 |10,375 |480 |30.1 |616 |38.7 |0.78
2012-02-22 |  9,674 |570 |33.6 |655 |38.7 |0.87
2012-05-04 |  8,439 |559 |30.4 |706 |38.4 |0.79

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #53 on: June 07, 2012, 10:45:36 pm »
Huh Ha.. ha ha... He said, Penal.... ha ha... huh ha...   Penal    :o

Heh.  :D

Pictar related.

MtD

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #54 on: June 12, 2012, 12:04:25 am »
You don't have to be poz to get big prison time for spitting.  This takes things to a whole different level, and it is disturbing to say the least.  I know we're talking about Texas, but this is just hard to believe.  At first, I thought there had to be something more to the story.  We've just seen one state's Supreme Court rule that spitting is not a transmission risk for HIV.  With all these prosecutions, and now this one where the man didn't even have HIV, I imagine this would have to eventually reach federal appeals courts and possibly the U.S. Supreme Court.

Texas HIV-Negative Man Gets 10 Years for Spitting at Police

An HIV-negative man from Lufkin, Texas, was sentenced to 10 years in prison for spitting on police officers and allegedly claiming to have HIV during his arrest for public intoxication, KTRE.com reports. John Oliphant, 34, tested negative for HIV the day after his July 2011 arrest. According to the arrest affidavit, Oliphant spit at two police officers. Oliphant denies that story. He claims that the arresting officers pulled him out of the police car while he was handcuffed and that he fell and hurt his elbow and head, which left blood on the restraint chair. Oliphant said he told the police, That’s how you catch AIDS, and they assumed that he said he had AIDS. Oliphant pleaded guilty in January and faced prison time ranging from two to 20 years.

http://www.poz.com/articles/Texas_spit_HIV_1_22534.shtml 

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #55 on: June 12, 2012, 09:26:37 am »
I know this video has probably already been posted to this forum but I thought this was a good talk on HIV and criminalization.

http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/en/shereen_el_feki_how_to_fight_an_epidemic_of_bad_laws.html

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #56 on: June 12, 2012, 10:49:35 am »
For anyone wanting to know more about hiv criminalisation laws in the UK (England and Wales, Scotland is a little different and links can be found within the links below) here are some links:

PROSECUTIONS FOR HIV TRANSMISSION
A guide for people living with HIV in England and Wales
(PDF file)

Criminal prosecutions from NAT (National Aids Trust)

Transmission and the Law Aidsmap (very basic)

HIV & the criminal law Aidsmap (very detailed)

HIV transmission and the law GMFA (gay men's health charity)

Intentional or Reckless Sexual Transmission of Infection Crown Prosecution Service (Very detailed and includes transmission of other STIs, not just hiv.)

I suggest that anyone living in the UK not only have a look at these links, but also bookmark at least one or two of them so you have them for handy reference. You never know when you or a friend or loved one may need to understand the law regarding hiv transmission.

Here's one everyone should read, whether you live in the UK or not. If you're on the fence about criminalisation, it may help you decide. Why NAT opposes prosecutions for reckless HIV transmission. (PDF file)
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.