Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:16:01 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772964
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 161
Total: 162

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Losing the depths in myself  (Read 5347 times)

Online CalvinC

Losing the depths in myself
« on: June 22, 2006, 04:04:19 pm »

Sorry guys, this is a bit of a sob story, but I'm again distraught and crying.

I'm reading Wharton's The House of Mirth, the part where Lily realizes she has to say goodbye to her old self:

"And you have come to it now?" Selden asked.
     "I shall have to come to it--presently. But there is something else I must come
to first." Lily paused again, trying to transmit to her voice the steadiness of
her recovered smile. "There is some one I must say goodbye to. Oh, not you--we
are sure to see each other again--but the Lily Bart you knew. I have kept her
with me all this time, but now we are going to part, and I have brought her
back to you--I am going to leave her here. When I go out presently she will not
go with me. I shall like to think that she has stayed with you--and she'll be
no trouble, she'll take up no room."
     She went toward him, and put out her hand, still smiling. "Will you let her
stay with you?" she asked.
     He caught her hand, and she felt in his the vibration of feeling that had not
yet risen to his lips. "Lily--can't I help you?" he exclaimed.
     She looked at him gently. "Do you remember what you said to me once? That you
could help me only by loving me? Well--you did love me for a moment; and it
helped me. It has always helped me. But the moment is gone--it was I who let it
go. And one must go on living. Goodbye."

In one fell swoop, I lost myself and the man of my dreams. F**k f**k f**k. I can't stop crying.

Andrew (sorry for the pity party, but it's a rough day)

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
Re: Losing the depths in myself
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2006, 04:10:42 pm »
Andrew,

Self realization is sometimes very traumatic, but in the end, totally worth the trip.  ;D

In Love!
The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals,
and 362 to heterosexuals.
This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals,
It's just that they need more supervision.
Lynn Lavne

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2006, 04:13:26 pm »
Hang in there Andrew. Nothing in this life lasts forever - not the good and not the bad.

There are still brighter days ahead.

Daniel
MEDS: REYATAZ & KIVEXA (SINCE AUG 2008)

MAY 2000 LAB RESULTS: CD4 678
VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline dario

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2006, 06:42:37 pm »
Only the very special and the very best are capable of such feelings.  Only the hearts of true lovers throb and  shed tears! The more you love, the deeper the depths of the abyss! Yet the risk is worth taking.
... when I was young, I never needed anyone, making love was just for fun, those days are gone ... Eric Carmen (Raspberries)

Offline Bucko

• You need a shine, missy!
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2006, 09:08:15 pm »
Only the very special and the very best are capable of such feelings.  Only the hearts of true lovers throb and  shed tears! The more you love, the deeper the depths of the abyss! Yet the risk is worth taking.

Such a beautiful quote, such a heartfelt thread!

You touched deeply, Calvin, and you as well, dario.

Brent
(Who loves a good cry)
Blessed with brains, talent and gorgeous tits.

Blathering on AIDSmeds since 2005, provocative from birth

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2006, 10:16:59 pm »
Reminds me of an old Noel Coward lyric:

I never realized that you cared for me,
                 that such a thing could ever, ever be.
                 And when you went away I was sad because
                 I realized what a fool I was.

In spite of everything cheers, 
Andy Velez

Offline otherplaces

• Mutant Super Hero
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2006, 11:17:53 pm »

Calvin,

Hang in there. Believe me I know what you're feeling. It comes in waves, much like a storm. But 10 months in I can say the storms do seem to always pass. You get up the next day because you've got things to do and off you go. And then the next thing you know you're okay. The storm clouds clear and everything is okay for awhile.

I'm still trying to say goodbye to my old self. Letting go is so hard. But I'm trying to be more patient than I was before. All in due time.

much love,
brian

Online CalvinC

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2006, 11:40:34 am »
Thanks all, for the replies on and off line.

It was a tough day, yesterday. In addition to losing my neg status and the now-ex last month, I am not now reacting to traumatic life events or just plain ol' loneliness in ways I used to (eg go to baths, have lots of sex, wonder why I'm lonely, go home and cry). I am refusing to rely on old patterns of coping. It is utterly wrenching, like a full body slam. But today is better.

One note of grace: last night, after my night class, I joined a group of friends for dinner. There were 9 of us, with two people I hadn't met. It was a delight. After, we were all going our separate ways, and I ended up chatting up one of the new guys, Ron. And in the five or so minutes we chatted, I felt myself breathing in that life of possibilities that is promised us when we actually suffer through our troubles and try to take our life in our hands and change it. I felt attractive, open, alive, that maybe romance would some day in the future be possible. A teasing glimpse of that promise. I still have a whack of crap to live through, but this was a very fine moment. Thanks for letting me share all this.

Andrew
« Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 11:42:24 am by CalvinC »

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2006, 01:27:21 pm »
One note of grace: last night, after my night class, I joined a group of friends for dinner. There were 9 of us, with two people I hadn't met. It was a delight. After, we were all going our separate ways, and I ended up chatting up one of the new guys, Ron. And in the five or so minutes we chatted, I felt myself breathing in that life of possibilities that is promised us when we actually suffer through our troubles and try to take our life in our hands and change it. I felt attractive, open, alive, that maybe romance would some day in the future be possible. A teasing glimpse of that promise. I still have a whack of crap to live through, but this was a very fine moment. Thanks for letting me share all this.

see? and you might've never met him if you were still with your ex

heartbreak is overrated
« Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 01:29:16 pm by allopathicholistic »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.