Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:27:19 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772963
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 318
Total: 319

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: second total knee replacement  (Read 7710 times)

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
second total knee replacement
« on: July 06, 2014, 01:13:16 pm »
Hi All, haven't posted in a while,like to check in and see if anything new on lipo issues. Have been through a gamete of things since being officially diagnosed in 90.
Hump removal, cornea transplant ,hernias ,lipo you name it ! Had my left knee replaced over a year ago, now having the right one done next week. Found myself gaining weight , and not being able to walk for exercise any more .I have been very lucky to have remained stable this many years, sometimes I blame things on this nasty disease,but mostly think I'm just getting old and portly ! New knee next week, keep on plugging along and fighting back. just wondering if anyone else has had joint replacements. Be Well ,Bubba
HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
 HIV Transmission and Risks
 You can read more about Testing here:
 HIV Testing
 You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
 HIV TasP
 You can read more about HIV prevention here:
 HIV prevention
 You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
 PEP and PrEP

Offline wolfter

Re: second total knee replacement
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 04:24:12 pm »
I've had several friends go through and they all pretty much say the same thing.  They wish they'd have done it sooner.  They had better mobility than they had in years and continue to do well.

best of luck on your procedure.

wolfie
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 09:09:37 am »
Hey bubba,
This topic immediately caught my attention.  I need to have both my knees replaced, but in February I broke my left hip and had to have surgery, so am not in a hurry to have more joint surgery.  Plus I just moved into a new house, and there needs to be many things taken care of prior to me having them.

Avascular necrosis, plus osteoarthritis, is responsible for my knee situation.  The AVN is something doctors are finding more in LTS'ers such as us, but I do not believe a specific cause (long term HIV, treatments) has been figured out.  I do know that usually it happens (AVN) in the hips.  When I was a case manager at an ASO one of my clients had to have both hips replaced, and both knees.   

I'm glad to hear you're doing better after the one replacement, and I hope you post about the post-op recovery on your other knee.  Very interested, thanks for posting!

Betty
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 05:13:32 pm »
Hi Betty,
The cause of both knee problems is due to osteoarthritis also , the 1st one went super smooth,was up and walking the hospital halls the next day.Wolfie is right should have done it sooner. we relocated to Cape Cod from the Florida Keys last year after 33 three years, the health care here is great ! Point being we are having a new house built with the bedrooms upstairs,need two healthy knees.All I can tell you is the healing and rehab is a piece of cake compared to the constant pain.The AVN you spoke of is a really interesting topic  , really makes you think . Will keep you posted on post - op
 Thanks and Be Well, Wade
HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 HIV Testing
 HIV TasP
 HIV prevention
 PEP and PrEP

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2014, 01:28:06 pm »
Hi All ,
Had my surgery on Monday at 1:30 , everything went smooth, was dressed, up and walking the next day and released on Wednesday morn ! Some one came to the house for PT on Thursday & Friday . will come M , W & F next week , see the surgeon on mon 28th, & will go from there. Already taking short walks and doing daily activities , cant stand for too long a time though because of swelling which is taken care of with ice. Pain is not bad at this point & weaning off pain meds,make me nauseous . Will be ready for my new stairs !! Wanted to keep you posted.
                    Be Well, Wade
HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 HIV Testing
 HIV TasP
 HIV prevention
 PEP and PrEP

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2014, 01:51:43 pm »
Thanks for the update and I'm wishing you a speedy recovery .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2014, 10:18:25 am »
 Thanks Jeff ,Wade
HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 HIV Testing
 HIV TasP
 HIV prevention
 PEP and PrEP

Offline wolfter

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2014, 11:37:08 am »
Glad everything is progressing nicely.  Now you can focus on your new home and stairs.

greg

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2014, 05:37:04 pm »
Hi All,
Had 2nd post -op visit today with orthopedic surgeon today,has been one month and I feel great ! My quality of life is much improved, Healed as well as the first one and up to three mile walks every three days.  Have had no viral load for many years,lipids are really good too,no rhyme or reason with lipo issues , T Cells tetter  between 450 & 500s for years also, Oh well we do still heal and can move on with our lives,and yes Greg,am concentrating on our new home and Cape Cod!  Big difference from 30 + years in the Florida Keys ! Am on a new adventure with my soul mate of almost 30 years , and life couldn't be better.
Thanks for your well wishes & be Well, Wade
HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 HIV Testing
 HIV TasP
 HIV prevention
 PEP and PrEP

Offline jm1953

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2014, 09:22:49 pm »
I'm happy everything went well, and you seem to be recovering well.  Sounds like your life is beginning a new adventure with your long time soul mate in a beautiful new environment.  I'm envious of that.  And relieved you are alright.

All my best,

Jeff M
Positive 29 years. Diagnosed 10/1987.  Current CD 4: 720: Viral load: almost 100.  Current drug regimen, Tivicay, Emtriva, Endurant, Wellbutrin, Clonazepam, Uloric, Losartan Potassium,Allegra, Ambien, Testosterone, Nandrolone, Vicodin, Benedryl, Aspirin, lots of vitamin supplements.

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2014, 11:00:11 am »
 Hi Jeff,
Thanks for the kind words, All set till next bump in the road,
and there will be one !   will get over that one too. Smoking blue fish today,
went fishing with a friend the other day and caught loads !
have friends coming over to help , just have to supply some burgers ,
beer , a fire in the pit tonight, and some vitamin V for me !
  Be Well, Wade
HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 HIV Testing
 HIV TasP
 HIV prevention
 PEP and PrEP

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2014, 11:16:20 am »
Well ... had my three month check up Friday with the orthopedic surgeon , new knee is healing great . I have had no pain ,and now have no swelling unless I stand for long periods of time . Do have restrictions with both knees, No impact sports , kneeling , or running ( unless there's someone's chasing me ! ) one more visit , and I'm on my own.

Both knees are now new and feel great , I am walking with no pain for the first time in thirty years , no more stiff achy throbbing knees ! I have osteoarthritis in other places but it is tolerable. I'm ready for the stairs in the new house , hopefully only three more weeks.  Boy am I ready !

Everyone Be Well , Wade
HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 HIV Testing
 HIV TasP
 HIV prevention
 PEP and PrEP

Offline wolfter

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2014, 08:48:06 am »
That's awesome news.  Enjoy your painfree knees.  :) 

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2014, 12:13:50 pm »
Bubba so good to read that you are doing well after your knee replacements!  :D

Now you can go back to being a Can Can Man in Vegas for special entertainment engagements!  We miss you!   ;D
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2014, 07:19:06 pm »
  LOL....You are TOO... Funny  !
Only Can Can you'll see from me these days are the ones in the back of my pick up on the way to the dump !
HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 HIV Testing
 HIV TasP
 HIV prevention
 PEP and PrEP

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.