Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:12:07 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 380
Total: 382

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Few questions about my risk  (Read 31763 times)

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: Few questions about my risk
« Reply #50 on: October 20, 2006, 10:05:17 am »
Cad,

Of course it's a "good sign", any negative result is. This isn't "opinion", it's fact. It's also fact that the PCR tests have a high rate of FALSE positive results - so I hope you're not planning on using that test again. You were lucky this time, but you might not be next time. ANY result from PCR testing MUST be confirmed with ELISA testing anyway, so you might as well sit tight for your six week ELISA test - which I'm fully expecting to be negative as well.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline cadera

« Reply #51 on: October 27, 2006, 10:36:42 pm »
I have a question about window period and what it means. in the forum i learned average seroconversion is 22 days what does that really mean does it mean that in 22 days most of the people will test positive on an antibody test (which is call seroconversion correct???) what is the altest generation for test 4th?  is that the most powerful one. is Oraquick blood sample a 4th genretaion or older? thank you all

Offline cadera

« Reply #52 on: October 27, 2006, 11:16:06 pm »
any responses or ideas?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #53 on: October 27, 2006, 11:27:18 pm »
cad,

Average doesn't necessarily mean most, but it does mean many. Some people will test positive earlier than and some will test positive later than 22 days. MOST - nearly all, will test positive by six weeks. The window period is three months to catch the rare person who takes slightly longer than six weeks to test positive.

Don't start getting hung up on what generation a test is. It doesn't matter one little bit at three months - in fact it only really matters in the first few weeks. All these mental gymnastics you're trying to do aren't going to change the fact that you need further testing. You are likely to continue to test negative.

Ann

PS - don't be so impatient. It's late on a friday night after all - in fact it's 4:30 am where I am. You're going to have to be patient waiting for the correct time to test as well. That's just how life is.

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline cadera

« Reply #54 on: October 27, 2006, 11:57:19 pm »
ann thank you so much for your response and I highly respect how much effort you are putting in helping people like me in the forum. you are very right I need to hold tight for another 15 days I am on my day 30 today and just go from there. especially since I received a negative from a dna pcr. I mean although its not a correct diagnosis procedure its still a good sign and you are damn right i was lucky this time not to get a positive that could even have been a false one.

thanks again for everything have a wonderful weekend and happy halloween:)

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: October 28, 2006, 11:38:53 am »
Cadera, you need to do yourself a big favor and stop your "researching" about HIV.

Doing that stuff will only feed your anxiety without giving you the definitive reassurance that you are seeking.

Given that you had a single and brief exposure with someone whom you don't even know for sure to be HIV+, the great likelihood is that you are going to test negative. HIV is not an easy virus to transmit. It's significantly harder to accomplish from female to male. Taking all of that into consideration I expect you will test negative.

So between now and the time when you test you need to stay productively busy and by busy I don't mean on the net looking for symptoms and other stuff which will only feed your fears.

Andy Velez

Offline cadera

« Reply #56 on: October 31, 2006, 02:22:03 pm »
Hi everyone,

i could not stay too still I went and go an antibody test ORA quick advance looking for hiv 1-2 through ORAL swab test. came back negative at 33 days after possible exposure. I hope this is a good sign since average people seroconvert at 22 days. I eat healthy drink sometimes so I assume my immune system is doing its job in terms of creating antibodies when neccesary

any opinions on my results

DNA PCR at 15 days Negative
Antibody Oraquick Oral swab at 33 days Negative

Offline cadera

« Reply #57 on: November 01, 2006, 04:08:30 pm »
any opinions?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #58 on: November 01, 2006, 04:21:16 pm »
After all you've read on this website and countless others you went and took a PCR test. What do you want us to say. You would really be flipping out if you would have received a false positive. I don't think our opinion's or knowledge really matters to you any way.

Offline cadera

« Reply #59 on: November 01, 2006, 07:37:42 pm »
all of u have really been amazing support. excuse my anxiety that resulsted in taking a pcr dna test. I needed to do soemthing get tested something because i was really going out of control. I will still apriciate comments on my 33 day result. I know its still ealry but hopefully its a good indicationg of final status

thanks everyone

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #60 on: November 02, 2006, 05:37:18 am »
cad,

Any negative result is a good result and the odds are in your favour of continuing to test negative.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline HIVworker

• HIV researcher
« Reply #61 on: November 02, 2006, 10:53:34 pm »
In this case a PCR test shouldn't be needed. But I can't take into account your anxiety. If you want to take one, just be aware they can throw up the odd false positive test. How many months of your life and subsequent negative tests would it take for you to be convinced you are actually negative. People on this forum have had them come back positive and then test again negative about 20 times over the next few months (because their positive test was a false positive). I know you want a quick resolution, but just waiting for the 13 week window period to expire and taking a normal test is the best option. If you can't stand the wait then do what you must, just be aware of what I have said.

R
NB. Any advice about HIV is given in addition to your own medical advice and not intended to replace it. You should never make clinical decisions based on what anyone says on the internet but rather check with your ID doctor first. Discussions from the internet are just that - Discussions. They may give you food for thought, but they should not direct you to do anything but fuel discussion.

Offline cadera

« Reply #62 on: November 07, 2006, 01:28:16 pm »
I got tested today Rapid Blood Sample test the 20 min one.

At 40 days (5 weeks 5 days almost 6 weeks) Negative

what do you think

Antibody Blood 40 Days Negative

Offline cadera

« Reply #63 on: November 08, 2006, 08:21:35 pm »
Hi everyone

today I got a rash on my sking on face on teh chick this never happened to me before this kind of skin rash on my face. I  kind of see it as a symptom now

I got tested at 40 days with antibody ora quick 20 min test results were negative.

Please respond I think it might be seroconversion

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #64 on: November 08, 2006, 08:26:24 pm »
Symptoms come on 2-4 weeks after exposure. What you have is unrelated to HIV.

Offline cadera

« Reply #65 on: November 09, 2006, 08:22:05 pm »
thanks for the reply. its jsut soo unusual its huge patches of red on my face. never never ever had this before....?

is 40 days test good enough  backed uup with pcr dna at 15 days

i am so confused

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #66 on: November 09, 2006, 09:04:13 pm »
Test at 13 weeks and get your conclusive test.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2006, 09:16:57 pm by RapidRod »

Offline ronaldinho

« Reply #67 on: November 10, 2006, 10:17:58 am »
Could not a negative antibody test be considered conclusive even before the 13 weeks, provided it is backed by an undetectable PCR??

My reasoning is as follows: a negative antibody test means that A) either the person was not hiv infected or B) the person was recently infected and still has not developed antibodies to the virus. But with an undetectable PCR, alternative B would have to be excluded, since the viral load is very high in recent infected people, for the very reason that the recently infected person still has not developed the antibodies that will fight HIV and lower the viral load. Then we would be left only with alternative A.

Is there any flaw with this reasoning??

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #68 on: November 10, 2006, 10:32:12 am »
PCR DNA testing is not a FDA approved diagnostic test. The only test approved is an APTIMA(R) HIV-1 RNA test by Gen-Probe.

Offline cadera

« Reply #69 on: November 10, 2006, 05:49:31 pm »
APTIMA(R) HIV-1 RNA test by Gen-Probe.

do you know where this test could be taken in nyc???

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #70 on: November 10, 2006, 05:53:42 pm »
No I don't. This test was just recently approved by the FDA the first week of October.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #71 on: November 10, 2006, 06:08:04 pm »
Cad,

The Aptima test is not to be used for routine hiv testing. It is only to be used in very specific instances, the criteria of which your case does not fit. Any result from the Aptima test must still be confirmed through standard ELISA testing.

The negative results you have thus far are highly unlikely to change.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline cadera

« Reply #72 on: November 23, 2006, 08:05:17 am »
hi everyone

ı just a p24 test combo

both antigen anticore of the test came Negative

this test was taken when ı was on day 56 (8 weeks)

how good of a result is this can I almost say I am in good shape

p24 Combo 56 days Negative

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #73 on: November 23, 2006, 08:35:03 am »
cad,

As you've been repeatedly told, your negative results are unlikely to change.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline cadera

« Reply #74 on: December 08, 2006, 05:51:13 pm »
Hi everyone
I am on day 71 and I have a terrible flu cold temperture that get worse and worse byt time goes
I hade a mild flu for like 5 days and today it starting getting heavy

according to my test results how likely it is I am hiv +?

p24 Combo 56 days Negative

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #75 on: December 08, 2006, 06:45:54 pm »
cad,

How many times do you need to be told? Your results are unlikely to change. 71 days is too late for ARS. You've got the flu. If it doesn't shift in a day or so, see your doctor. It's got nothing to do with hiv.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline cadera

« Reply #76 on: April 26, 2007, 04:29:45 pm »
hoi back again. my last test was on like my 50 something day with a p34 also which came back negative. today i have a big pain under my armpit and i can feel a node that has quite a mass to it. can this realte to hiv? i did not take a test after 90 days I am taking one tommorow which is probably going to be like day 180 or something like that. but how like is this it coudl have to do with hiv. during my last test i never had unprotected sex. only sticked my fingers in vagina which have some cuts that were not fresh.

I am just really worried and clueless. the bump under my armpit also has red marks on the skin

thanks everyone again

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #77 on: April 26, 2007, 04:34:50 pm »
One of the most eye-opening things about the Am I Infected Forum for me has been the discovery of just how many people there are in the world that take HIV tests on an almost recreational or sport level.

How many negative results do you aspire to receive?
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Coffeechick88

« Reply #78 on: April 26, 2007, 04:37:45 pm »
 A simple antibody test at 3 months would have been conclusive.  I was unclear whether you have gone to 3 months or further, but you went overkill on the amount of testing you did.  A swollen lymph node is not specific for HIV.  There are a multitude of conditions that can cause that symptom.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 04:40:54 pm by Coffeechick88 »
Lucas James is here
Born 6-14-08 at 1233 am
8 lbs 14 oz, 22 in long

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #79 on: April 26, 2007, 04:39:04 pm »
P34?? Is that a new test? If you meant a P24 then you wasted your money. A P24 test must be taken within the first 3 weeks of a possible exposure.

Offline cadera

« Reply #80 on: April 26, 2007, 04:51:23 pm »
hi I have not takend the 90 day test I am going to take a test tommorow which will be like 6 monhts after my possible exposur. for the p34 that was a typo it is p24 when i took teh p24 it was a combo with an antibody test on day 57 i think came back negative.

So this thing under my arm pit has some pain also I can really feel teh pain. Do lymp nodes due to hiv have pain in them

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #81 on: April 26, 2007, 05:03:35 pm »
One of the most eye-opening things about the Am I Infected Forum for me has been the discovery of just how many people there are in the world that take HIV tests on an almost recreational or sport level.

How many negative results do you aspire to receive?

I repeat the above.  This will be what?  Five?  Six negative results for you?  More maybe?  You are willfully ignoring everything you are being told on this site, so I don't see what your point is for being here other than to entertain yourself somehow.  We're clearly wasting time and energy responding because you continually disregard what is said.  You tested negative time and again.  You've been told to move on time and again.  I certainly hope the cost for all these endless tests is coming directly from your own pocket instead of from either government funding or insurance because it is such a colossal waste.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline cadera

« Reply #82 on: September 03, 2007, 11:02:59 pm »
so guys I am soo stupid and I am back again...did not learn  my lesson...
i had unprotected full course sex with a girl that I kind of hung out for liek 2 weeks and these last few days we had sex. I did ask her about testing but did not tell me if she did get tested recently or not she is 29 I am 23. she is asian. I dont know what to say to my self about this I am sure if she has hiv I have very high chances of getting it because we had very long intercourses.

when we had the conversation it was a bit wierd and short but i was like I got tested few months ago and I know i am hiv - and she was like its stupid of me to have sex with you without a condom but also said likewise when I was talking to her abour testing.

I am sensing she is pretty reponsible but dont know

so i dont know what to say about this what the odds are she is hiv +. i know it kind of sounds stupid but how do you sense my situation?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #83 on: September 04, 2007, 05:49:35 am »
Cad,

You should know the drill by now. You need to test at three months for a conclusive result. Re-read your entire thread - particularly reply #2.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline cadera

« Reply #84 on: September 04, 2007, 01:35:10 pm »
you are right Ann. to start with I should not even put my self in this risk. not very thoughtful of me. I guess I will take a test in like a month since I have read many people to seroconvert by 21 days.

do you think its worth taking the DNA PCR?

thanks

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #85 on: September 04, 2007, 02:11:08 pm »
Cad,

A DNA PCR is NOT approved for diagnostic purposes as they have a high rate of returning FALSE positive results. Don't waste your time or money on one of these tests.

Don't expect to come here every day to wring your hands over your waiting period either. You knew the risk, you took that risk, now it's time for you to deal with the consequence of having to go through the window period. It's not like we haven't been here before with you.

It's high time you took responsibility for your actions and quit playing roulette with your health.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline cadera

« Reply #86 on: September 05, 2007, 10:51:12 pm »
dear all

thanks for your quick replies and still i am clueless on how i took this risk. My question is I have read many posts and as far as I understand a test a 21 days is somewhat a good sign followed up by a 45 day test which seems like from what i have read is in 45 days the vast and majority people will seroconvert by that. Even 21 days seems to be an average...

so please tell me if i take a test in 21 days or so will give me an idea or put my mind to ease at all?

also I would like to get the girl I had sex with tested. because if she comes out negative the odds are i cant get hiv from. what is the best way to approach this and bring it up since its a sensitive subject. She is not like my girl friend or dont know if its going to go there. I met her at my friends party we hung out that night made out and nothing else after 2 weeks of keeping in touch and a bit of hanging out we slept.

so sorry to give you all these details. I feel bad because you guys are not like a free counseling service...

As i said in my post she mentioned she got checked before but we did not get into details there like did u get tested for hiv...all i said was i get tested and I am fine ( i got tested like 4 months ago) and she said likewise so i dont know what that exactly means. Please give me some direction in this

thanks for your time all

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #87 on: September 05, 2007, 11:00:34 pm »
Cadera,

A conclusive negative result can only be delivered by a three month test. You took the risks now you have to live with the consequences. You can't bargain your way out of this.

MtD

Offline cadera

« Reply #88 on: September 06, 2007, 04:59:50 pm »
thanks for the respond i would appriciate and opinion though. I had a little chat with the girl mentioning stds again yesterday and she was like on my end I am good and she also she was like I appriciate the fact that you are kind of freaked out by having sex without  a condom...so i dont know what that means I dont think she would lie to me and if she says i am std free she probably got tested at some point at least

i mean still we are talking with lots of parameters...

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #89 on: September 06, 2007, 05:50:42 pm »
Cad,

The ONLY way to know YOUR hiv status is to test at three months.

Don't expect us to hold your hand until that time comes. One incident is understandable, but to come here again with another incident where you've thrown caution to the wind, well, it wears thin. You're just going to have to suck it up and wait out the window period. There's nothing new we can add to what we told you the first time around anyway.

As I told you a YEAR ago:

You need to start using condoms and stop playing roulette with your life and health.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline cadera

« Reply #90 on: September 10, 2007, 06:09:15 pm »
i hear you all...I guess now its jsut sit wait suck it up and get a result in like 6 weeks first

today i got some heat waves in my body is that a sign?? or the beggining of my body trying to fight over the virus slowly?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #91 on: September 10, 2007, 06:18:18 pm »
Cad,

I suggest you read what we told you last year about symptoms. There's nothing new to say to you, so just keep re-reading your thread until it sinks in.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline cadera

« Reply #92 on: September 13, 2007, 10:26:34 am »
hi ann

to just to double check i amhaving the sore throat and kind of keeps building up but not to a point that it got very uncomfortable...ifa flu or sore throat is a symptom would it be light weight sore throat or flu or something heavy?

thanks for your time again. i just want to double check with you i read things but its a bit cloudy in my head

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #93 on: September 13, 2007, 12:17:01 pm »
cad,

If your sore throat worries you, go to your doctor and discuss it there. We cannot diagnose you here.

And one more time, re-read your entire thread again and again until it sinks in. There's nothing new to tell you that we didn't tell you the first time around concerning symptoms or window periods or whatever.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.