Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 05:10:33 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37649
  • Latest: MSB92
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773274
  • Total Topics: 66346
  • Online Today: 417
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 389
Total: 390

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Knowingly spreading Hiv Can somebody shed some light?  (Read 37406 times)

Offline hotpuppy

Re: Knowingly spreading Hiv Can somebody shed some light?
« Reply #100 on: October 30, 2008, 07:32:07 am »
This is a pretty contentious topic.  Each side of the argument has valid and interesting points.  The harsh reality is that there are new infections every day.  Some because people intentionally spread the disease, some because they spread it not knowing they had it, some because they were high/stupid/naive and engaged in high risk sex.

We can talk all day about criminilization, revenge, terrorism, et al but none of those will change what is happening every day.  To be clear, criminilization means putting people in cages.  We call those cages prison.  They are very expensive.  They are also a place where HIV transmission runs rampant due to societal ignorance.

What we do need to talk about is raising awareness among people who are poz, and people who are not.  Here's what I've done.
1. I posted my status publicly in my online profiles.  I have a variety of reasons.
2. I'm pretty harsh with my neg friends.  I've found I get maximum reaction by goading on their stupidity and slamming it with reality.  I.e. Sure it's no big deal if you become poz... i'll be happy to take you down to the clinic and help you with the paperwork and your first 5 or 6 appointments in your first month.  Thereafter you are on your own to go down every month or so and give blood, get tests, and manage your meds.  I will help you setup a schedule to take your meds, because if you screw up your meds you have to switch them and you only get a few chances.  But ultimately it's your responsibility to take them, daily, every day, with no vacation, on time.   That normally rattles their cage.

I usually reinforce that they need to be having safe sex.  Me personally, I hate condoms.  Yup. Hate the damn things.  Yea yea, I know, the world might fall, a plane might land on me, and I might have to get a shot of penicillin.  In the meanwhile I have decided that sero-sorting is the best option.  I will occassionally play with a neg guy, and condoms are not optional, they are required.  He has to be extra-hot for that to happen, otherwise I just tell them no, not interested... rejected because you are neg.

Anyhow, so rather than hate and nastiness, what have you done to raise awareness? to make people think? to encourage educators to combat 'bad behavior'?  What works best for you?

Because at the end of the day, being vengeful won't make as much of a difference as empowering others to be better, safer, and know their status.
Don't obsess over the wrong things.  Life isn't about your numbers, it isn't about this forum, it isn't about someone's opinion.  It's about getting out there and enjoying it.   I am a person with HIV - not the other way around.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.