Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 11, 2024, 08:31:38 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37681
  • Latest: huangDi
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773465
  • Total Topics: 66367
  • Online Today: 380
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 254
Total: 254

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Re: HIV & Dating  (Read 10220 times)

Offline Towel

• Standard
  • Hello!
Re: HIV & Dating
« on: August 04, 2023, 05:01:18 pm »
I'd like to enter a long-term relationship, but it's hard enough as it is, my gay friends who are completely healthy have a very hard time finding a guy to hold onto as well. But then when you also show your "problems" or faults early on in dating, that just makes it even harder.

Generally, it's not good to lead with your faults when trying to get to know someone new, for it just scares them off. You have to seem perfect and hide any flaws. Thanks to online dating, everyone is always looking for "The best available guy" specially the ones who claim that they are looking for a serious relationship.

At the same time, we are supposed to be honest and upfront about our condition to not start the relationship on a basis of lies. However, whenever I tell someone about my status, they disappear. I have a recent example: I found a guy online who said he wanted something serious. We had a lot in common and found each other to be compatible and similar in a lot of ways. We went on 3 dates, and by this time I could sense he was getting impatient to have sex. Makes sense.

So on date 4, I told him about my status, and that I did not want to have sex without letting him know. He said it's okay and it doesn't change anything. Then he ghosted me the next day. And that's just how it goes again and again. It's really hopeless to actually form something lasting and I am unsure about what to do.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2023, 05:13:07 pm by Jim Allen »

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2023, 05:12:06 pm »
Hiya, and welcome to the forums.

Sorry to hear that you are having dating challenges. Not sure I've ever approached dating the same way so not sure I can be of much help. I just told people upfront my HIV status and had sex, if they stayed around afterwards that was nice (mostly) and if they kept coming back or wanting to meet it became a relationship.

Had a few people politely excuse themselves after I shared my HIV status over the years but that's fair enough and fine, best to know upfront instead of wasting my time.

I think some of the other forum members might be able to provide more constructive advice and support.

I split this post into a new topic as we tend not to post our challenges in other people's threads, also as you are new here and perhaps you can share a bit more about yourself with the forum members, such as how long you have been living with HIV,  how you are doing, how the treatment is going, etc.

Thanks
« Last Edit: August 04, 2023, 05:34:24 pm by Jim Allen »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Towel

• Standard
  • Hello!
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2023, 05:45:05 pm »
I had it for about 5 years, and I take the pill every day. I am undetectable.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2023, 05:46:39 pm »
Fantastic, were going to get along like a house on fire, I can just tell
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Towel

• Standard
  • Hello!
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2023, 02:54:38 am »
Haha thank you, that is very sweet  ;D

Offline harleymc

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2023, 08:11:55 pm »
We don't have enough information to know what we are discussing.

What are the 'problems' or negatives you are talking about?

With a suppressed viral load HIV certainly isn't a problem unless you are communicating that it's a negative.

We can't tackle stigma in others unless we stop.our internal stigma.

Offline Towel

• Standard
  • Hello!
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2023, 06:54:14 pm »
Usually it's about people wanting nothing to do with you once they are aware of the fact that you are HIV+. Undetectable or not.

Offline numbersguy82

• Adrian Alan
    • Instagram
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2023, 04:37:56 am »
Hey there and welcome to this wonderful community. I can really empathize with what you’re going through. However I want to echo the same sentiment that Harleymc made, and that dating is hard enough without adding in an extra layer of self doubt from your diagnosis. I have dated many hiv positive men and I can tell you that their diagnosis wasn’t even in the top ten of the reasons why we didn’t work out.

I also know personally how challenging it is to unburden yourself from the guilt and feelings of inadequacy that being hiv positive seems to saddle us with.  It’s my experience that the best cure for those insecurities tends to be time, and yes unfortunately, rejection. We grow from our experiences both good and bad. Sometimes we need to feel both sides of that same coin to truly make progress and move forward. 

I hope you continue to post and find fellowship here in our likeminded “family” and community! Who knows you may find someone here that you won’t have to worry about a diagnosis coming in between you :)
JOIN US FOR PEER-ish SUPPORT Every other Friday @ 7pm EST, PM me your email address for meeting link/information

Strive for “One Day When” by collecting “One Day Wins”

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.