Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:47:21 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 391
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 356
Total: 359

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: 13 week test results  (Read 13232 times)

Offline prettysure

13 week test results
« on: August 12, 2008, 06:57:05 pm »
Thank you for having this site, it has provided me with great comfort during this hard time.

Just as a forewarning, I am not one of those over compulsive people that is going to ask you the same question 10 times.

I (ignorantly, regretfully) had unprotected sex with a partner of unknown status on May 2nd 2008. On July 18 (11 weeks post exposure) I developed a fever, cold sore, genital ulcers that oozed (yuck) and were very painful with white heads but were not raised, lower back pain, cramps, EXTREME fatigue, nights sweats, chills, swollen lymph nodes in the groin.
I went to the doctor on the 19th and had an hiv antibody test done, and a urinalysis where i was told i had a mild bladder infection and increased white cells in my urine. I did not show the doctor my genital sores..I was so embarrassed and at that point they werent extremely painful.

Most of these symptoms cleared up in about a week. My doctor gave me valtrex to clear up the sore on my lip which consequently cleared up the genital sores as well.

I lost 6 pounds (the doctor said probably stress) that is obvious in my butt and my chest. It looks like i have gotten bony. although the symptoms all cleared up within a week, I still have severe fatigue and have not yet been able to put weight back on. I have headaches frequently.

I got another HIV antibody test done on August 7 (13 weeks 6 days). It came up negative. My doctor did not say anything about further testing.

My question is if I seroconverted would the hiv antibody test should that already? Since I am still experience fatigue and headaches, is it possible that i am not finished seroconverting and will not test positive until everything passes?

Thank you for your help. I know you guys get the same questions everyday but I hadnt seen one like this yet and my doctor told me "not to worry past 3 months" but I don't feel any better.

Offline prettysure

Re: 13 week test results
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 07:06:13 pm »
test show that*  correction

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2008, 07:32:49 pm »
Your 13 week test is conclusive. You are HIV negative.

Offline prettysure

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 09:07:25 am »
Thank you.

Is it possible to test positive during seroconversion with an antibody test? If the ARS symptoms last for 3 weeks will a person still not test positive until there are no symptoms?

Offline atlq

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 09:14:09 am »
PS,

RapidRod said all you need to know, but I will repeat it. The test at 13 weeks is conclusive. You are not positive...
“Keep up the good work....   And God bless you.”
  --  Sarah Palin, to members of the Alaskan Independence Party, 2008

Offline prettysure

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2008, 10:30:09 am »
I understand that I am negative, but can anyone actually answer the question?

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2008, 11:01:04 am »
Possible? Yes, though not at all likely. The huge variances in human immune responses combined with the parameters of the test make anything short of six weeks unreliable, and the standard for acceptable results is still, in the vast majority of the world, three months.

As far as the duration of ARS, it generally lasts ten days or less. Three weeks would be unusual as it would indicate either a very strong or rather weak immune system, which is either attacking the virus beyond the scope of the median, or taking its time being sluggish in it's efforts. I would imagine that cases that fall that far outside the Bell Curve are what warrants a three month rather than a six week standard in most places.

Interesting conversation, medicine and the unique qualities of the human body. However, this is not the place where I feel comfortable having what amounts to a quantum physics discussion insofar as our species is concerned. I love talking about that stuff, but not here. I find it makes people a little crazy.

YOU are indeed verified and have been thusly tested as HIV negative.

One thing I noticed in your initial post was your reluctance to show your doctor/tell your doctor about your sores. Thats common, of course. It's a lie of omission based on perceived/anticipated negative response. But you know what? You paid the guy (or gal) to fix what was wrong. Doesn't ever serve your purpose not to show her/him the whole deal. Trust me, by the time that person earned his/her degree, s/he had seen and heard stuff that would melt your face right off. And from people you would never expect to hear it from.

STD's are not marks of judgment nor are they shameful. They are pathogens, living (or nearly living, don't get me started in viruses) to breed and find new places to live. The fact that syphilis cannot be spread through, say, a sneeze, simply means that it's evolution opted to go the sexual fluids and lesions route.  You can take the tunnel or the bridge, whatever gets you into Manhattan first, if you get what I mean.

Thing is, you cheat yourself if you are not open and honest with your doctor. And that can make a person a little crazy, as questions you did not ask go unanswered.

If you do not feel comfortable talking to your doctor about sexual issues, you have three choices as I see it. You can continue having experiences like the one you had, you could stop having sex forever, or you could consider shopping for a doctor with whom you are more comfortable.

It's your body and your life.

Your HIV Negative life.

cherish that, today.
"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2008, 11:02:38 am »
sure,

The average time to seroconversion is 22 days. The vast majority of people who have actually been infected will seroconvert and test positive by six weeks. This is true whether or not a person experiences symptoms. Many people do not experience one single symptoms. Symptoms or even the lack of symptoms mean nothing when it comes to knowing your hiv status.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline prettysure

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2008, 11:09:57 am »
Thank you.

Offline prettysure

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2008, 11:55:24 am »
I don't understand why the CDC, other sites, and books about hiv (yes, I researched in actual BOOKS), do not all state that 13 week negative antibody test is negative.

I still read ..check at 6 months.. only 6 months is definitive..etc.

Is it impossible to implement a standard window period? I think the variation is why myself and so many others are hesitant to accept negative results when the information is inconsistent. Or maybe the virus just varies so much from person to person that it is impossible to set window periods in stone? I don't know.

Weak immune systems take longer to product antibodies? I have no other diseases/ailments/illnesses. My doctor did a CBC that turned normal results. I have had mono a few years ago, pnuemonia as a child, and couple of colds a year when seasons change. That is not weak right?

Do you think medicine will ever advance to the point where 3 month results will be accepted by all and 6 month tests will not even be recommended?

Maybe i should just enroll in medical school since I seem to be more inquisitive than i thought i would be.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2008, 12:05:07 pm »
Good luck enrolling in medical school.  ::)

I don't know what books you're reading and frankly I don't care to know. The official HIV antibody testing window period as determined by the CDC is 13 weeks.

That's right: 13 weeks. Not 6 months, 13 weeks.

The three month window period has been accepted by all industrialised countries for more than 15 years so quit the bullshit, get tested at 13 weeks and get on with your life.

MtD

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2008, 02:21:57 pm »
sure,

From what I understand, you're still worried because of the symptoms you've experienced. If you'd shown your doctor the "genital ulcers" you had, he'd likely have told you it was herpes. You could have spread it to your genitals yourself, because a "cold sore" is also herpes and yes, you can spread it around your own body. If the genital outbreak was your first in that place, it is very likely to be the cause of your other symptoms.

Not everything equals hiv.

Instead of researching hiv, which your test results show you do NOT have, try researching genital herpes so you can learn how to take care of any future outbreaks. Please, PLEASE, keep your herpes to yourself. It's WAY more easily transmitted than hiv is, so keep that in mind with your future partners.

You do NOT have hiv. Let me remind you of something you said in your first post:

Just as a forewarning, I am not one of those over compulsive people that is going to ask you the same question 10 times.

Can we hold you to that? You don't have hiv. If there were any doubt, we'd tell you. Your test results are conclusive. You do NOT have hiv!

Make sure you use condoms from now on and you won't have hiv in future either.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline prettysure

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2008, 08:04:22 am »
To all that responded:

I ended up going back the same day of my post to take another test and talk to my doctor about my weight issues.

This time i tested HIV positive, and confirmative test reiterated that result.

I have a lot of questions now. Can this thread be moved to just tested poz? Or do i start a new thread?

Thank you.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2008, 08:25:25 am »
sure,

I'm sorry, but I'm having a difficult time believing you. Unless you've had another risky incident since the one you already tested negative for at nearly 14 weeks, I don't see how it's possible that you're suddenly hiv positive.

Why don't we wait to move your thread until you've got more test results under your belt.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline prettysure

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2008, 08:30:39 am »
I understand. I am completely shocked myself. The doctor even told me he has only seen these kind of results twice in his career.

He recommended I go to an infectious disease doctor to get a prc test or something like that. I have lost 7 pounds and the weight difference is seen in my knees, butt, chest. It looks like bones are coming out, but i am eating the same. My veins are protruding.

I am very scared. I didn't think losing weight could happen this early, if in fact i am completely positive.

Offline prettysure

« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2008, 08:31:47 am »
and no there was no other risky incident. and no sex at all since then..

Offline prettysure

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2008, 08:32:39 am »
how did i find one of these doctors? Are there any sites that have ratings or recommend good doctors? I want to go to one who is experienced in this area.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2008, 08:51:53 am »
I don't know where you are but I suggest you call any HIV/AIDS service organization in your area, tell them you have gotten mixed test results and can they recommend a doctor and where you can get further testing to clarify the situation.

Like Ann I am wondering what the real story is because what you've reported just doesn't tally with my experience.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Andy Velez

Offline prettysure

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2008, 09:15:37 am »
Thank you.

I would like to say that there is no other piece to this story. I was under the impression that this forum was a place to get questions answered and receive support. My doctor stated that he always tests patients at the 3month and 6 month mark and while he recommended i wait until the 6 month mark, he tested again because of the extreme weight loss.

He also did screenings for autoimmune disorders (lupus, etc.), complete blood works ups, another urinalysis, a pregnancy test, glucose testing, etc.

I sought out help from this forum because from what I have read you all are very knowledgable about this subject. I thought I would find support, encouragement, etc. Thank you for all of your recommendations.

I am 22 years old. Heterosexual. This was the second person I have ever been with, and the first person i have ever been with unprotected. If there had been another incidentI ofcourse would have mentioned that.

I am terrified and these mixed results are baffling to me (and to you as well). I am hoping that this is a fluke, but if it is not and i am in fact positive, I would like to be able to return to this forum and be welcomed kindly..

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2008, 09:18:49 am »
Hey Pretty,

We're aware of your concerns and we take them very seriously. Our experts are reviewing your thread right now. Please stand by for further advice.

MtD

Offline Tim Horn

« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2008, 09:26:28 am »
Pretty:

This is a highly unusual situation and I think it would be a good idea for you to see a bona fide expert near you. I know many HIV experts, so please -- via private messaging -- let me know where you are and I will personally connect you with someone who will get to the bottom of this and provide you with the care you need.

I'll be waiting for you PM.

Tim Horn

Offline prettysure

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2008, 09:37:44 am »
Thank you so much for all of your help. It means more than you know. I think i correctly sent the PM to you TIm, not quite sure how its works.

Offline prettysure

read if you are unsure about testing
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2008, 11:03:21 am »
Just wanted to say thank you to everyone on this site.

If you remember me. I tested positive after 13 weeks exposure (but negative at 10 weeks).

Guess what. There was an error in the test (something that RARELY happens..but can! said my doctor)

I have had seven negative tests since. It turned out to be an autoimmune disorder.

Trust the people on this forum they are SO knowledgeable and helpful.

Best of luck to all of you and God bless the poz people on here. You are strong, courageous, and models to us all!

Offline juju

Re: read if you are unsure about testing
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2008, 12:27:45 pm »
correct me if im wrong but many people have read ur posts and iv just read this latest one ur times and dates dont add up from may 7 to june it makes it 6 and half weeks in ur origanal post u sed u were 11 weeks at this time i make it 6 and half and even ur 13 week test goin by ur dates it barely makes it ten weeks very odd or uv got ur dates very messed up

Offline juju

« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2008, 12:32:39 pm »
sorry my mistake dates are correct and i bet ur happy with those results musnt of had my specs on how come u have a immune disorder if u dont mind me askin

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2008, 12:53:25 pm »
juju, please take time to read the posting guidelines for this forum. You can find them in the "Welcome" thread.

Only those Moderators and members who are authorized to answer questions in the Am I Infected? forum are permitted do so. Unauthorized responses may be deleted without permission of the poster. Repeatedly posting replies of this nature may result in a Time Out or permanent ban, at the discretion of the Moderator Team.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2008, 02:00:08 pm »
Pretty, that's great news. Tim & I were just discussing your situation the other day and wondering what happened since your last posting.

I've merged your thread since our rule is to keep all of your entries in the same thread.

Good luck to you with getting everything treated and moving on.

Delighted to hear your good news.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2008, 07:41:36 am »
PS,

Autoimmune problems are something that can sometimes cause false positives. I'm glad you got to the bottom of what was going on and thank you very much for letting us know.

Make sure condoms are being used from now on for anal or vaginal intercourse and you'll keep that negative hiv status.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.