Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 01:54:13 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 190
Total: 190

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Massage Therapy as Treatment  (Read 3801 times)

Offline youngfolks

Massage Therapy as Treatment
« on: January 28, 2010, 08:30:49 am »
Hi,
  I am forever continuing my education, and currently learning to become a massage therapist.  In one of my books I was reading about the benefits of massage for HIV.  I was wondering if anyone has consistently sought massage therapy, and found results in relation to their HIV?
  A former partner of mine was POZ, and I would like to work closely with the HIV community.

Thanks,
  YoungFolks

Offline sharkdiver

Re: Massage Therapy as Treatment
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 10:51:50 am »
Massage is a great, but sensual and erotic massage is even better...oh where was I going with this...

I believe it would be considered a complementary therapy such as accupucture and the like. Not really a treatment but helps with the stress. I hope you aren't thinking massage is going to heal or slow the progression of the disease. I do commend you that you are considering working with our "population" but it would be even more "karmic" if  you volunteered your services at a local ASO.

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 11:09:17 am »
My local ASO has a massage therapist on board. I've never used the service but obviously the ASO sees it as a beneficial service. I'm assuming for relaxation benefits only.

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 11:12:22 am »
There are few folk as orthodox as Matty the Damned and in that sense he notes that massage therapy has not particular effect on HIV.

Nevertheless appropriate massage is a good thing. It can relieve pain and it's useful in letting poz bodz know they're still touchable entities.

There is much to be said for the laying on of hands. :)

MtD

Offline youngfolks

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 06:23:54 pm »
Thanks, everybody!
  No, I know massage could not "cure" HIV...   
  Although, in one of the books I have, it discussed studies which showed massage affected the Natural Kill cells.  An effect of massage is strengthening the immunity system, which could obviously be beneficial.  And yeah, the stress reduction!  Stress heavily affects our immunity systems.

Furthermore, I do plan to contact local organizations and see how else I can get involved, as a massage therapist or otherwise.

My former partner was POZ.  I remain negative.  But HIV has still become a much larger part of my life.  I learned from my ex what the benefits of massage could be through experience with him. 

Another question: Do you think there is a need for massage therapists who, I don't know, "specialize" in clients with HIV or who are openly POZ-friendly? 

Offline poet

• Poet living and working in Central Maine
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 03:08:44 pm »
Yes.  I offered bodywork in Manhattan for 15 years and can assure you that too many gay male practitioners refused to touch/work on hiv positive clients who came to me, even though I did not advertise that I was hiv positive.  Sometimes it was simply their diagnosis (think of date rejection upon disclosure).  Sometimes it was a skin infection.  Bodywork, unlike massage, allows a practitioner to move into erotic/sensual areas of touch (which is not permissible with your massage practice) and here male-on-male touch reconnected my hiv positive clients with their sexual beings, clients who may have been afraid of sex, afraid of rejection over sex, lost in feeling asexual.  Any outreach to hiv positive men and women in the world of touch is welcome. 
Winthrop Smith has published three collections of poetry: Ghetto: From The First Five; The Weigh-In: Collected Poems; Skin Check: New York Poems.  The last was published in December 2006.  He has a work-in-progress underway titled Starting Positions.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.