Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:40:09 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 410
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 405
Total: 407

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: My mom  (Read 8863 times)

Offline JeffInNYC

My mom
« on: August 09, 2006, 09:47:02 pm »
Well, tomorrow my mom has her last session of chemo in treatment of her ovarian cancer.  So far she appears to be responding well and at this point we have every reason to be optimistic that she can be a long term survivor of this nasty disease.

She is such a strong woman and I am so incredibly proud to be blessed with this amazing mom.

Can you all do me a favor and keep good thoughts for her that she beats this thing and will never have to deal with a recurrence? She is truly a wonderful mother and deserves to be a success story.  Thank you all for your support.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
Re: My mom
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2006, 09:54:49 pm »
Good thoughts for your mother. She is lucky to have you as part of her circle of support.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Teresa

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2006, 10:06:02 pm »
Sending your mom good thoughts and know that she is in my prayers!

Hugs
Teresa
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06
CD4:320
  %: 26.7
 VL: <20
Atripla (started it 8/24/06)

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2006, 10:21:35 pm »
Sending love and positive healing energy....

Hugs,

Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline Sdgirl

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2006, 10:32:59 pm »
I will keep you both in my thoughts....................You're a good son.......

Lisa
"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.  Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.  It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us.  We ask ourselves.."Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?  Actually, who are you not to be?"

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2006, 10:50:53 pm »
You will both be in my thoughts.

Offline Nadine

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2006, 10:58:58 pm »
Nothing but good thoughts for your Mom  :-*

Offline MoltenStorm

• Poz & Fabulous
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2006, 11:00:16 pm »
Your mom will be in my thoughts. Sending lots of good healing energy. Sending some calming, relaxing energy your way too.
"Love is always patient and kind. It is never jealous. Love is never boastful nor conceited. It is never rude or selfish. It does not take offense and is not resentful. Love takes no pleasure in other people's sins, but delights in the truth. It is always ready to excuse, to trust, to hope, and to endure whatever comes." - 1 Corinthians 13:4-7, adaptation in A Walk To Remember

CD4: 555 / 29% / Undetectable - 7 Nov 2006
CD4: 555 / 29% / Undetectable - 5 Feb 2007

poznoregon

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2006, 11:02:15 pm »
You have my support and sending good thoughts your way for you and your Mom.

Offline Robert

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2006, 11:23:38 pm »
good thoughts for you and your mother.  It sounds to me like mother, like son....2 wonderful people.

robert

Offline bluelove

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2006, 11:25:11 pm »
All the best thoughts to you and your mom.

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2006, 11:42:35 pm »
Jeff your Mother is in mne and Will's prayers....   Be a super strong son for you Mom...

Love

Offline Eldon

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2006, 11:56:01 pm »
Hello Jeff, it is Eldon. Thank you for letting us know of your mother's status, She is in my thoughts and my prayers.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2006, 12:24:45 am »
Jeffy,

I'm keeping your mum in my daily anxieties.

Love,

MtD

Offline HIVworker

• HIV researcher
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2006, 12:42:30 am »
Jeff,

I know your mother means a lot to you and you are a good son to care for her.

I will keep you in my thoughts tomorrow.

Best,

R
NB. Any advice about HIV is given in addition to your own medical advice and not intended to replace it. You should never make clinical decisions based on what anyone says on the internet but rather check with your ID doctor first. Discussions from the internet are just that - Discussions. They may give you food for thought, but they should not direct you to do anything but fuel discussion.

Offline JeffInNYC

« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2006, 07:46:08 am »
Thank you everyone for the kind words and good thoughts.  My mom is literally the only person I get all choked up about.  If I have any good qualities, I got them from her.  I love her dearly and my only regret is that I had taken her for granted for so long.

To top it off, 2 women I work with have breast cancer...one finished treatments and the other - who Im especially friendly with - is about to begin treatment.  I cant believe this freaking cancer is everywhere.

But whats especially appalling to me is that it is 2006 and there still is not an effective screening tool for ovarian cancer.  Most cases are diagnosed in an advanced stage.  My mom goes for her annual exams religiously.  One year everything is fine, the next year she is stage 3C....how the hell can this be?  No symptoms - nothing!  Thank God she goes religiously to the doctor.

While there is no good cancer, breast cancer, if Im not mistaken is about 20 times more prevalent in women than ovarian cancer.  As such, breast cancer has gotten a heck of a lot more publicity, including from celebrities, a lot more research and there has been a lot more funding.  Thankfully, there have been considerable advances in the detection and treatment of breast cancer.  Now Id like to see the same for ovarian cancer.  In this day and age its unacceptable to me that so many women are dying from this disease because they are either misdiagnosed and there is just no effective screening method to detect this disease.

The survival rates for ovarian cancer have improved over the years, but the rates still suck.  It truly is unacceptable to me and even if my mom never has a recurrence, I have found my cause.

To the women on this board - please get yourselves examined if you dont already do so.  Also, you should DEMAND from your gynos that they take a blood sample and do a CA-125 test.  No its not an effective screening tool, and can yield many false positives,  but at least you can establish a baseline for yourself.

This disease is a bitch and it literally breaks my heart that my mom has to go through this.  But, she is a lot stronger than I ever gave her credit for and if attitude and will to live and love have anything to do with it, then she is home free.  I love you mom!

Thank you all for the good thoughts and for listening to my bitch session.

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2006, 08:00:37 am »
Morning Jeff. We're happy to listen.  :-* It's super to hear your Mom is strong, with a great attitude and loving nature.  :-*

You're so right. In this day and age there should be more evolved advances in screening  :( :(

* LOVE AND WELL WISHES *  :-*

All my best,
Alex

Offline Trish

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2006, 09:44:20 am »
Hi Jeff,

Your mom will be in my thoughts and prayers.  Also, I'm sending some positive energy your way so you can be strong for mom.  You're a good son and the best thing you can do for her now is love her unconditionally and be there in the good times & the bad.  And we'll be right here for you, no matter what you need.

All the best to your mom, she sounds like a wonderful woman.

Love & Hugs,

Trish :-*
"People grow through experience if they meet life honestly and courageously. This is how character is buit."  Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline Christine

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2006, 09:51:09 am »
Sending good thoughts and prayers to your Mom, and you!! Yea!! Her last treatment! Good news!
Christine
Poz since '93. Currently on Procrit, Azithromax, Pentamidine, Valcyte, Levothyroxine, Zoloft, Epzicom, Prezista, Viread, Norvir, and GS-9137 study drug. As needed: Trazodone, Atavan, Diflucan, Zofran, Hydrocodone, Octreotide

5/30/07 t-cells 9; vl 275,000

Offline Cliff

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2006, 10:10:52 am »
Sending good thoughts out to your mom! Keep us posted.

Cliff

Offline heartforyou

• I must be a survivor in many ways...
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2006, 10:16:17 am »
Thinking of the two of you here and sending strenght and warmth

Hermie :) :) :)
Infected 1983. Diagnosed in 1987 and still kicking
Dovato once daily. Hydrea

Happiness is the freedom of breathing fresh air every day.

Offline ademas

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2006, 10:30:58 am »
adding my best thoughs, too, Jeff.
xox

Offline clarke

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2006, 10:42:54 am »
The best from here to you and your Mom! 

Offline purpledragonfly

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2006, 12:10:46 pm »
I will keep your mom and you in my prayers.

Love Wendy

Offline JeffInNYC

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2006, 08:40:09 pm »
Update:

They couldnt give my mom the chemo today because her platelets were too low.  But she is having a scan done next week and if all is clear, then she wont need the last session of chemo because they said she definitely has had more than enough.

On the flip side...halfway through treatments her tumor markers came in the normal range which is fantastic.  They just did another blood test and her tumor markers came down even LOWER!  Yippee!  This is truly good news.  While there are never any guarantees, my moms numbers have dropped dramatically and its the women who have this kind of response that tend to fare better.  I just congratulated her on her terrific numbers.  She truly is an inspiration.

I want to thank you all for listening.

And thank you especially for the good thoughts and positive energy you have sent our way.

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2006, 08:45:53 pm »
Jeff......

Hay,  I am very happy for you and especially for your Mom...  Keep those spirits high!

Love

Offline angels4kelly

• IT JUST IS!!.....OKAY!
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2006, 03:56:41 pm »
All the BEST to your Mother.
You both will be in my thoughts and my prayers.
Take care of yourself and your Mom, Jeff

Sending my love,
Kelly
POSITIVE SINCE-10/1990
CD4-610
CD4%-29.3
VL-UNDETECTABLE
VIREAD,VIRACEPT, EPZICOM

MOST RECENT...
10/9/2006
CD4's-714
CD4%-30%
VL-Undetectable
DIAGNOSES POSITIVE 10/90
SAME MEDS, VIREAD, VIRAMUNE, EPZICOM.

SHOOT FOR THE MOON! YOU MAY MISS,
BUT YOU'LL LAND IN THE STARS :)

Knowing others is intelligence;
knowing yourself is true wisdom.
Mastering others is strength;
mastering yourself is true power.

Failure is not in falling down,
but the staying down

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.