Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:22:01 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773199
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 519
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 487
Total: 487

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Was I at risk??? Worried now but trying to keep cool and calm  (Read 6262 times)

Offline worried8585

Was I at risk??? Worried now but trying to keep cool and calm
« on: August 14, 2011, 02:46:04 pm »
Am I at risk: Sexual History (All 4 girls were not sex workers)..not that it makes a difference but I want to give all details.

Girl # 1 – Oral sex (giving and receiving), sexual intercourse (condoms & none at times)
I was a virgin when I slept with this girl.  She was HIV negative from her tests before we had any relations.  I took STD and HIV test after this girl and tested negative.

Girl #2 – Oral sex (only I received). We only had intercourse once with a condom. She performed oral on me another time.

Girl #3 – Oral sex (only I received). We had intercourse once with a condom.  She performed oral on me several other times.

Girl# 4 – Oral Sex (we both performed oral sex on each other). She is a virgin.  No intercourse  
After girl 4, I’ve had a sore throat for 2 months now.  It’s not really sore but it feels agitated in the back of the throat.  Behind the tonsils and uvula, I see little bumps and am not sure if they are glands.  I’m not even sure if they were always there.  Doc gave me antibiotic, but I feel it some days now after I finished the antibiotics.

Something seems off with me as I am always in great health and am rarely if ever sick.  This is why I am alarmed.  I’ve woken up with a damp neck  and upper back 3 times now in over 2 months.  Slight headaches on the left side of my head.

Also, I have been stressed about finding a job so that could have been contributed to the night sweats.
I’m trying to keep positive and trying to stop reading about HIV on the internet as that only makes things worse.

I know female to male transmission is lower than vice versa, and have read on this forum that oral sex is pretty safe and transmission has never been documented.  But, as you can see, when you're in panic mode, you start to think irrationally and think of all the "what ifs" and such......

any opinions???
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 02:50:03 pm by worried8585 »

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
Re: Was I at risk??? Worried now but trying to keep cool and calm
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 04:00:22 pm »
No one in the history of the pandemic has been infected by receiving oral sex. Nor have there been any documented transmissions from performing oral sex on a female.

You say you tested after your first experience without a condom, and received a negative result? If this is the case, then there is absolutely nothing in your posting that even remotely resembles a risk..

Use condoms for vaginal and anal sex and you will avoid HIV infection. It really is that simple.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline worried8585

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 04:49:13 pm »
JK,

Thank you for your response.  Like the other posts I've read, I need to get over it and move on with my life.  That's easier said than done.  But, it will be done.

I will get tested for std's again but will avoid the HIV test if it's possible. 

Offline worried8585

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 02:15:45 pm »
If you were in my shoes and had my symptoms, would you get tested for HIV?

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 02:30:59 pm »
If you were in my shoes and had my symptoms, would you get tested for HIV?

Solely on those experiences? Absolutely not.

As a responsible sexually active adult, I think it's important for EVERYONE to get a regular STD screening which includes an HIV test at least once a year.

You CAN get other STDs from receiving oral sex. And then pass those along to your next partner. Adding an HIV test to your routine will help, I think, overcome the singular stigma and worry that such a test seems to elicit.

Use a condom when you have vaginal or anal sex to avoid HIV.

Get a complete STD panel done once a year or so if you are sexually active, even if you use condoms, until you are in a secure monogamous relationship.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 06:42:53 am »
Worried,

I totally agree with Jonathan. Aside from the unprotected intercourse with woman #1 - incidents for which you subsequently tested negative - you have not been at risk for hiv infection.

Here's what you need to know in order to avoid hiv infection:

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL sexually transmitted infections together.

To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with an STI. Sex without a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results.

Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline worried8585

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 02:40:24 pm »
JK & Ann,

Understood, I will take the panel of STD test soon and will also get the HIV since it's also included.

About the list of girls I listed above, it was in chronological order.  I just hope I got some kind of bacteria when I gave girl #4 oral.  I don't want it to be but If it was something along those lines, the doctor will be able to prescribe something and I will know what's making my body loopy.

*** Question: Out of all your years on this forum, how many incidents of female to male HIV transmission have you guys come across? 

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2011, 07:41:40 am »
Worried,

I've NEVER seen a case of hiv transmission from giving a woman oral, or from getting a blowjob. You don't need to worry about the unprotected intercourse with woman #1 (I sincerely hope you are not having sex with girls) because you have already tested hiv negative where she's concerned.

You do not have hiv. Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will not have hiv in future either. It really is that simple!

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline worried8585

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2011, 01:37:56 pm »
Dear Ann,

I just went in for testing.  I decided to take the HIV test along with the STD's.  The doctor said I had nothing to worry about given my history.  She also said my throat didn't even look that red or bad. 

What did you mean by :
"You don't need to worry about the unprotected intercourse with woman #1 (I sincerely hope you are not having sex with girls) because you have already tested hiv negative where she's concerned. "

Are you referring "girls" as underage girls?  Or, did you think of typing guys and had a typo.  Anyways, i always refer to people as girls/guys or on a forum such as this male and female.

I get my results in a week, and I even mentioned this forum (without disclosing the name) and stated how oral is considered safe in regards to HIV.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2011, 02:20:11 pm »

What did you mean by :
"You don't need to worry about the unprotected intercourse with woman #1 (I sincerely hope you are not having sex with girls) because you have already tested hiv negative where she's concerned. "

Are you referring "girls" as underage girls?  Or, did you think of typing guys and had a typo.  Anyways, i always refer to people as girls/guys or on a forum such as this male and female.

I was just having a feminist rant. I can't think of one woman who would come onto a forum like this and say they had sex with a boy. It irritates the hell out of me how often grown women are referred to as girls when the word boy would never be used instead of man in a similar context. I realise that it's just the vernacular but it still irritates the hell out of me, particularly when talking about an adult subject like sexual activities. 

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline worried8585

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2011, 05:45:10 pm »
I see and get what you're saying. 

Anyways, I felt relieved and confident after the testing but now i'm anxious again.  My mind is playing tricks on me and it's taking a toll.   

I had such a strong immune system but now I feel there is something seriously wrong with my health. 

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2011, 10:07:17 am »
Worried,

If you feel unwell, then you need to see a doctor. Get off the internet, pick up the phone and make an appointment. Whatever is going on has nothing to do with hiv.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline worried8585

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2011, 12:16:18 pm »
got my test results back.  It's negative for all stds and NEGATIVE HIV!

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2011, 12:38:01 pm »
That's no surprise here but it's always good news.

Get on with enjoying your life.
Andy Velez

Offline worried8585

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2011, 06:22:30 pm »
I am so glad I found this forum and would like to thank all that have responded.

One question before I leave.

My first HIV test that was taken a few years back was :HIV EIA Screen, Blood

The one I just took was: HIV 1/2 Plus O AB ADVIA Centaur Immunoas

Was this just a different HIV test?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2011, 07:53:06 pm »
Different names. Both are reliable tests.
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.