Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 10:02:22 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773292
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 688
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 638
Total: 638

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Shelley Duvall  (Read 2147 times)

Offline RobbyR

Shelley Duvall
« on: November 24, 2016, 09:23:41 pm »
Ok everyone I know has been talking about this..struck a nerve with me because I've suffered from mental illness before..Shelley Duvall star of The Shining(which is one of my favorite movies) was interviewed by "Dr" Phil where she clearly is totally incoherent and vulnerable and this punk ass bitch sat there and let her ramble on and on just for ratings. It was painful to watch. First off why would any of her friends let her do that interview? She sounded deranged and should not have been on tv. Mental illness can affect your appearance and everything and it was just shameful. It pissed me off who the fuck does "dr" phil think he is, he wasn't interested in helping her only in getting ratings and making himself relevant.

If you're truly interested and care about someone with mental illness, word of advice, they know more than you might think, and they're not dumb. Also, you don't put that out there in public, you help them PRIVATELY if you truly care. I call total bullshit on that I don't know how a human being can try and play somebody like that. It's wrong and the worst kind of exploitation.

I hope she gets the help she needs and that someone comes into her life that really genuinely cares about her. That's my hope for Shelley, I feel for her.
"I survived because I was tougher than anybody else".--Bette Davis

Atripla
2010-2015

Stribild
2015-2016

Genvoya
2016-

Offline harleymc

Re: Shelley Duvall
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2016, 12:35:34 am »
Ms Duvall possess agency.
You yourself claim "someone with mental illness, word of advice, they know more than you might think, and they're not dumb".

You also claim that people should have prevented her " Why would any of her friends let her do that interview". What legal basis would they have for doing that?

Does having mental illness override freedom of speech?

Offline RobbyR

Re: Shelley Duvall
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2016, 02:20:24 pm »
Well, as a human being, freedom of speech aside, there's something called basic decorum and respect. You're not helping or respecting someone who is deeply mentally ill by plastering them all over tv an exploiting their situation for ratings. If you want to help someone, you do it in private, you don't have to make a spectacle out of them, that's what dr phil did. He's a low down punk for doing her like that.
"I survived because I was tougher than anybody else".--Bette Davis

Atripla
2010-2015

Stribild
2015-2016

Genvoya
2016-

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.