Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:00:14 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773225
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 608
Total: 609

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Major breakthrough toward the treatment of HIV/HAART-associated Lipodystrophy  (Read 14205 times)

Offline John2038

• Happiness is a journey, not a destination.
    • HIV Research News (Twitter)
Just for those suffering from this syndrome, new hops:

A new drug called tesamorelin may trim belly fat in HIV patients, a study shows.

The study focuses on HIV lipodystrophy -- abnormal patterns of fat buildup and fat loss in people taking drugs that target HIV, the virus that causes AIDS.

HIV lipodystrophy patients typically gain fat around the waist and lose fat in the face, arms, and legs. Too much fat around the waist may make heart disease more likely.

Tesamorelin -- which is still in its experimental stages and hasn't been approved by the FDA -- may help treat HIV lipodystrophy. But the drug's long-term effects aren't clear yet.

That news appears in tomorrow's edition of The New England Journal of Medicine.

Tesamorelin Study

The researchers included Julian Falutz, MD, of Canada's Montreal General Hospital. They studied 412 HIV lipodystrophy patients with large waists.

First, the patients got high-tech body scans to map their body fat. They also took cholesterol tests and completed a survey about their body image.

Next, the patients gave themselves a shot of tesamorelin or a placebo every day for six months. They didn't know if they got tesamorelin or the placebo.

Lastly, the patients repeated the body scans, cholesterol test, and body image survey.

Less Belly Fat

Patients taking tesamorelin shed 15% of their belly fat, compared with a 5% rise in belly fat in those taking the placebo.

The tesamorelin patients also improved their cholesterol levels and boosted their body image.

But nearly half of the patients taking tesamorelin made antibodies against the drug, and six of them developed hives, notes an editorial published with the study.

Patients taking tesamorelin were more likely to quit the study over side effects, even though side effects were similar in both groups.

Studies are needed to check tesamorelin's long-term effects, note the researchers. Their study was funded by Theratechnologies, a Canadian company developing tesamorelin. Falutz and several colleagues note financial ties to Theratechnologies.

Several teams of scientists have tested various drugs that boost growth hormone, Marc Blackman, MD, observes in an editorial published with the study.

"Numerous questions remain" about the long-term use of such drugs, writes Blackman, who works in Washington, D.C., for the Veterans Affairs Medical Center

Source: http://www.webmd.com/hiv-aids/news/20071205/drug-may-cut-belly-fat-in-hiv-patients?src=RSS_PUBLIC
More: http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2007-12/mu-mbt120507.php
« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 03:24:49 pm by John2038 »

Offline ubotts

If this new drug worked that would be great..and maybe like you say it has worked,
but  one knows the long term side effects.... :-[

So it remains that we are still lab rats being tested over and over again...

I wish I had a time machine because I race up the meds and know which ones were
better and if theres side effects, what they will be, besides, rashes or hives..

But for now all we can do is keep on trying new meds till the right ones are finally approved for us to swallow... ???
Live Love Laugh and dance like no ones watching.
Laughter is the best medicine, so try to have a laugh everyday..Even if your not feeling your best, think about something that was funny at one time in your life and work with it..   :o)

Offline jack

• fomerly the loser known as Jake
just read where they expect the cost of this treatment to be $1000 per month. Fucking insane. I will go no carb and get lipo,its cheaper and no sides.

Offline hartiepie

>>>I will go no carb and get lipo,its cheaper and no sides.<<<

Liposuction doesn't work with deep visceral adiposity. And oh yes there can indeed be side effects to liopsuction..........

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
I read about this medication. I, for one, would try it.

I hope it does work. Maybe it can also help reduce the fat accumulating in the front of my neck.

As for being lab rats, what else is new. Hey, it makes it an adventure, right?

Jack, what hartlepie said regarding lip on the belly fat is correct. It is very dangerous and many docs won't do it because it isn't subcutaneous fat, but visceral fat.

Now, my hump on the other hand might be an idea. I have heard the humps can be difficult for lipo, so it may have to be surgery.

I guess it will all depend on what my insurance will cover and what it won't. I don't have the cash to cover it.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline ubotts

Did anyone see Michael Moores movie Sicko..

Well wouldnt it be nice if the USA could give all all free health care.

Id definately try this drug...but I am financially changelled...so i do what I can..

Live Love Laugh and dance like no ones watching.
Laughter is the best medicine, so try to have a laugh everyday..Even if your not feeling your best, think about something that was funny at one time in your life and work with it..   :o)

Offline Antinouus

Wouldn't be nice if all the people in the entartaining business, who earned hell of lot of money and sometime they don't know what to do with that and waste it, would give just 1% of their income to AIDS and to either Cancer research so they could in practise the dream of many who don't make that amount of money for years.

Offline kjonyou

Wouldn't be nice if all the people in the entertaining business, who earned hell of lot of money and sometime they don't know what to do with that and waste it, would give just 1% of their income to AIDS and to either Cancer research so they could in practise the dream of many who don't make that amount of money for years.

I am not sure why you picked the entertainment industry other than it is always the favorite of choice form right wing Conservative pundents.  Yes they make a lot of money, and yes, they can afford to give, but if this is not politically driven, I would look at the facts and start with:

Oil Industry, Pharmaceuticals, Commercial Banks, Securities and Sports.  The entertainment industry is 13th on that list of most profitable industries, start from the top.

I seem to recall after 9/11 I saw a lot of actors and musicians donate around 1 million dollars of their personal income to the victims families.  While its not even a dent in what they have, I also noticed that sports figures making the same if not more money donated on average only about $5,000 or .01%  Oil, pharmaceutical, and stockbrokers..... $0 from their own personal wealth.

Don't bite the hand that feeds you, when was the last time you saw a securities company like Smith Barney raise 100 million dollars for a single charitable cause?  Not to mention they make a huge profit from HIV drug company stock trades.

Offline MitchMiller

I'm guessing the company knows this drug will be prescribed more frequently for "hormone" deficiency (aka... Rockie's Disease)... It sounds like a great replacement for injectable HGH which would mean a real blockbuster for the co.  I'm guessing the lipo treatment path is just a mechanism to get it approved more easily... much in the same way Sculptra was approved.  Sculptra is now widely used to plump up the sagging cheeks of aging gold diggers... and I'm guessing those sales dwarf those for HIV related lipoatrophy.

Offline mewithu

• mewithu
{Don't  forget to mention they are going to try to use it for WASTING also}

Much Care, Jerry
1997 is when I found out, being deathly ill. I had to go to the hospital due to extreme headache and fever. I fell coma like,  two months later weighing 95 pounds and in extreme pain and awoke to knowledge of Pancreatis, Cryptococcal Meningitis, Thrush,Severe Diarea,  Wasting, PCP pneumonia. No eating, only through tpn. Very sick, I was lucky I had good insurance with the company I worked for. I was in the hospital for three months that time. 
(2010 Now doing OK cd4=210  VL= < 75)
I have become resistant to many nukes and non nukes, Now on Reyataz, , Combivir. Working well for me not too many side effects.  I have the wasting syndrome, Fatigue  . Hard to deal with but believe it or not I have been through worse. Three Pulmonary Embolism's in my life. 2012 520 t's <20 V load

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.