Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2024, 09:50:29 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773166
  • Total Topics: 66331
  • Online Today: 286
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 207
Total: 208

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Dawn Ranch  (Read 6595 times)

Offline Dennis

Dawn Ranch
« on: January 18, 2007, 11:35:28 pm »
Here is the information regarding how Dawn Ranch will work with us. 

Room Block - 30 rooms between September 12 - 17

Booking Window - 4 weeks. (they would not agree to 8 weeks at the time we last spoke)

Deposit - 50% at the time the reservation is made.  Balance due at check in.

Cancellation - None.  They will waive penalties for those that have to cancel due to a medical reason.  Documentation may be required if a large percentage of the group cancel for this reason.

At this time they are willing to block 30 rooms for us.  These rooms are comprised of all the pooside and non-poolside rooms as well as the cabins and chalets. 

The cancellation penalty is as it is because we would be taking over the entire resort if the gathering remains as large as it has been the past 2 years.  They are considering this a complete buyout of the property.  The deposit as mentioned would be 50% at the time of booking.  That means if you make a reservation for 2 nights than your deposit would be for one night.  A stay of 4 nights would  be a deposit of 2 nights.  And so on and so on.  I know this may sound strict, but as they keep advising me this time of year is high season and they are a small property.  They risk a lot should we cancel.

Rates...

Poolside
     Weekday  $79
     Weekend  $111
Non-poolside
     Weekday  $71
     Weekend  $87
1 room cottage
     Weekday   $79
     Weekend   $111
2 room chalet
     Weekday    $119
     Weekend    $159
2 room cabin
     Weekday    $119
     Weekend   $159
2 bedroom cottage with separate living room (Vera's Cottage)
     Weekday    $159
     Weekend    $260
Creekside Cabins
    Weekday     $143
     Weekend    $231

Please let me know if I've missed something or if other options need to be considered.

Dennis

Offline Longislander

Re: Dawn Ranch
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 12:30:48 am »
rooms sound quite reasonable. One question, is the quoted rate per person based on double occupancy?
infected 10/05 diagnosed 12-05
2/06   379/57000                    6/07 372/30500 25%   4/09 640/U/32% 
5/06   ?? /37000                     8/07 491/55000/24%    9/09 913/U/39%
8/06   349/9500 25%              11/07 515/68000/24     2/10 845/U/38%
9/06   507/16,000 30% !          2/08  516/116k/22%    7/10 906/80/39%
12/06 398/29000 26%             Start Atripla 3/08
3/07   402/80,000 29%            4/08  485/undet!/27
4/07   507/35,000 25%            7/08 625/UD/34%
                                                 11/08 684/U/36%

Offline Robert

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 12:45:44 am »
Dennis....

great work.  I'm pleased, that's for sure.

One question.  How many people can sleep in a 2 bedroom cottage?  4?  2 people per bed?  Then I guess, it's what LI'er is asking?  If the 2 bedroom cottage sleeps 4, is the rate still $159 ($260 wknd)?

We're also talking 5 nights, right?  In 12 Sept (WED) and out the 17 Sept (Monday).  So that would be 2 week nights (WED AND THURS) and 3 weekend nights (FRI,SAT,SUN? (or is Sunday a week night?))

I psyched!!!  robert

Offline Strayboy74

• tastes like chicken
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 12:46:17 am »
halfsies anyone??? :)

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2007, 10:21:04 am »
Hi Dennis

Thank you for all your hard work on this.  Having a professional work with the various lodging options has made all the difference in the world.

I have two questions:

1.  The 4 week booking window is going to be a problem.  I'm not sure we can get the attention of members in the next 4 weeks to actually make this kind of commitment. Since we aren't actually asking them to take 30 cabins out of their inventory (in fact I doubt we'll need 30 but who knows), couldn't they allow us a broader window?  (If Dawn Ranch books other reservations because those rooms are still in their inventory they really aren't risking anything by allowing us to have a broader reservation window.)   If members don't book reservations within that 4 week window, but book later, do we know what the rates would be?

2.  The 50% deposit and cancellation penalty (I'm assuming the penalty is loss of the entire deposit?  Though in your initial thread you used the word "none" which when I first read it I thought it meant there wasn't a penalty.) will make it impossible for the Grants Committee to make any kind of reservations.  At this point I don't think they know what their resources are going to be or what their actual needs are going to be. 

Would Dawn Ranch be willing to allow the Grants Committee to book 3 or 4 cabins under the following special conditions:

a.  Reservations would be made and secured by a credit card w/o the 50% deposit being charged.
b.  30 days prior to arrival the full 50% deposit would be due from the committee (by then they would have their resources and needs in place I assume)
c.  If reservations made by Grants Committee should be cancelled, they would pay the $25.00 fee you originally mentioned, providing that cancellation took place no later than 30 days prior to arrival.  If cancellation happened inside the 30 day window, then a full penalty would have to be paid (meaning the 50% deposit).

I think we need to hear from the Grants Committee on this and see what their thoughts are.

I think the information you've given us is exactly the kind of stuff the other members need to begin making their decisions about attending AMG and whether the special requirements that a more rural setting is presenting is something they are comfortable with.

If the majority is willing to move ahead, I'm certainly ready for it.  In fact I'm looking forward to it and would be willing to book my reservation as soon as it becomes clear this is where we are going.  Since time is important I hope other members give you their feedback quickly.

Thanks again Dennis for everything you do for us.

RAB

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2007, 10:43:37 am »
Shouldn't the first step be a head count of sorts? I noticed several people used their first post to vote on location never to return to aidsmeds again. It seems the interest being generated is not at the same level as the previous two AM Gatherings. What kind of numbers are you looking at in terms of real participation? I know I voted, but I won't be attending.

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2007, 11:28:25 am »
Shouldn't the first step be a head count of sorts?

Now that members have some specific information I think we'll begin to get a rough idea about head count based upon the responses to this thead. 

I noticed several people used their first post to vote on location never to return to aidsmeds again.

Good point Hal.  I just went back and looked through the votes, the two people who's vote was their first post, were Ric's partner Thom and Cliff's partner Will.  I don't think it necessarily means anything beyond that.  And as has been the case the first two years, the people who voted is never a good indicator of those who will actually attend.  It's just inherent in the way the process works.  The final date/location/actual cost cause some who voted to not attend while it brings others into the gathering.

It seems the interest being generated is not at the same level as the previous two AM Gatherings. What kind of numbers are you looking at in terms of real participation? I know I voted, but I won't be attending.

Not sure what kinds of numbers we'll be looking at.  As far as the interest level goes, I'm not going to let that stop me.  The interest level will be what it is, we'll just have to wait and see what happens.  Could go up, could stay the same, could drop.  Whether we are at the river or in the city, I'm planning on going.  I'm just sorry to hear that you won't be coming though.   :(

RAB

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2007, 03:49:19 am »
Hi

First of all I would like to thank Dennis for all the work he is doing for us, it's very much appreciated..there are a few things, that Rocky has already mentioned, that I too think are going to be rather difficult to manage.

If I'm reading this right the Dawn Ranch want us to book the rooms within the next 4 weeks and I'm assuming will want the 50% deposit by then also...personally I don't think this is going to work for reasons that have already been mentioned by Rocky.

At this point we are lacking in information and feedback, so there are a few things I/we need to know before we can go any further with this...and we really do need to start moving on this.

I'm sure the coordinators of this years AMG are working hard behind the scenes, I certainly don't envy them the task they are undertaking, but we need some feedback on what is happening, we need to be kept undated and informed on a regular basis so that we know that something is being done...we really don't know what is going on other than the help we have been getting from Dennis and yet we still don't know where we are hading with all this.

There seems to be so many unanswered questions, surly I'm not the only one who doesn't know what is going on.

I know Dennis has given us a date in September, is this the date we are looking at?, is this the only date that is available in Russian river? has everyone/anyone been asked if this date is OK with them? have any of those who were nominated to be on the grants committee accepted?..and if so when will we be hearing about it?

Getting the Grants committee up and running is very important to the AMG and I know it takes time..one of the main reason the 4 week booking window is not going to work for us.

The feedback from other members about the AMG just isn't happening, if possible I would like to know why, there may be several things that are worrying them and need to be discussed and ironed out...so lets start talking about it.

If Russian River is going to be a problem or Dawn Ranch is not willing to meet us half way then maybe we should start thinking about somewhere near by, I know the hotels in SF are more expensive so that may not be an option, is there anywhere in Santa Rosa that will give us a good price and can offer us a semi rural vacation? and I'm assuming it would be closer to SF as well for those of us who would like to visit...I'm not suggesting for one moment we should drop Russian River, I think it would be a perfect place to visit...but I don't see any harm in having a plan B.

It's very frustrating for me living so far away and not being able to help because like Rocky this AMG is very important to me..and the main reason is this year will be my last one..airfares are getting more and more expensive every year from NZ..and of course this is another reason I need to know where we are going and what dates we settle on because I need to book early to get the best possible price, and I know I'm not the only one...OK I'm rambling now, but please lets get this going NOW..and to the Coordinators please let us know what is happening.

Whatever happens I know I will be in Russian River and SF in September..I just hope there will be a few of you there to share the AMG with me... :-*

Hugs
Jan :-*
« Last Edit: January 20, 2007, 03:53:31 am by anniebc »
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline Dennis

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2007, 09:07:34 am »
Hello Ann, Rocky, and eveyone.  I'm doing my best to get Dawn Ranch to meet out "demands".   Personally, I think they've been fair so far considering the type of property they are.  Keep in mind, they wanted 50% for the entire group at the time of initiation.  I was able to get that changed to two weeks, with everyone being responsible for their own reservation. Then again, I was able to get the booking window extended to 4 weeks.  I did request a an 8 week booking window.  They declined and counter offered with the 4 weeks. 

I'll try to get the rest of your questioned answered.  Please keep in mind that I'm doing this on my own time outside of my full-time job.  This is busy season for the travel industry so I make phone calls whenever I have time.  (breaks, lunches). 

I'm going to be speaking with Anne on Sunday and I have Monday and Tuesday off so I'll be able to devote full days to our cause.  I'm sure we'll both have further information for you sometime early next week. 

Just an idea.  But perhaps someone could start another thread so we can get some idea of who is still interested in Russian River.  If this is no longer an option for the group than all my work may just be a mute point and we need to move forward with a plan B which I have no problem with. 

In the meantime, everyone have a good weekend!

Dennis

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2007, 04:37:41 pm »
Dear Dennis

Believe me I know how hard you are working on this for us, and as I said before it is much appreciated, but for some reason we are not getting feedback from those who are thinking of going to this years AMG, so I agree we need to start a thread asking folk to come in and let us know if they still intend on being there, or if they are having problems with anything that needs to be addressed...the lack of feedback for this years AMG is worrying me.

Again thank you for all you are doing.

Hugs
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.