Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 05:12:22 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 211
Total: 211

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Advice and understanding  (Read 16033 times)

Offline Samara

Advice and understanding
« on: September 09, 2011, 03:16:51 am »
Hi there,

I am really hoping that you can help me. I asked this question on another forum but didn't get much help.

3 weeks ago I had a night out with friends. To give you the basic details I was drugged and attacked, I went to the police and the matter is now with them, they have given me a timeline for testing for all STD's.

About a week ago I came down with a cold and very minor sire throat,this has almost gone but I am still getting bouts of dizziness. To get through this crappy time in my life I need a little bit of knowledge.

I your experience are my symptoms and my primary concern is dizziness seen in ars?I understand that HIV has no specific symptoms but it seems that there are some typical ones.

Does this sound like ars to you?

Thanks so much in advance for any help I get.

S x

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: Advice and understanding
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 05:57:17 am »
Samara,

No, it doesn't sound like seroconversion to me. Seroconversion is normally flu-like, not headcold-like.

Symptoms, or even the lack of symptoms, mean nothing when it comes to diagnosing hiv. ONLY testing at the appropriate time will reliably reveal your hiv status.

The earliest you should test for hiv is at six weeks, as the vast majority of people who have actually been infected will seroconvert and test positive by this time, with the average time to seroconversion being only 22 days. A six week negative must be confirmed at the three month point, but is highly unlikely to change.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Samara

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 06:50:54 am »
Thanks a mill Ann, it's so great I have found you guys during such a shitty time. So the dizziness is not a concern?
I'm not going to go all loopy with this? It is what it is and life will go on regardless I'm just trying to get my head around it

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 06:54:37 am »
Samara,

If the dizziness is bothering you, see a doctor. It's nothing to do with hiv.

If you're not already seeing one, I suggest you seek out a rape counsellor. The police who are handling your case may be able to point you in the right direction. Sorry to hear that happened to you, btw. Good luck.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Samara

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 11:40:42 am »
Thanks so much, I really appreciate the advice. I'm just trying to keep a level head at the moment and not get caught up in any craziness!!!! Hard but I'm not doing too bad and your advice has helped.

Thanks

Offline Samara

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 12:31:03 pm »
Hi again, I was hoping you could help me with another question. My cold is back, now while I appreciate I've been under a lot of stress lately so my immune system might be lower. I would like to know if a totally blocked up nose/head is seen in Ars.  Basically I want to know if lots and lots of mucus is indicative of ars.

I understand this is a symptom question but as I said before I'm just trying to keep a level head on this and not symptom shop on the inrternet which is why I wanted to ask you guys.

Thanks in Advance

S

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2011, 12:38:12 pm »
No, that still doesn't sound like ARS.

There are some basics you need to know about HIV. The average time to seroconversion is 22 days. All but the smallest number of those who are going to seroconvert will do so within 4-6 weeks after an exposure. If you test negative at 6 weeks after a risky event, that means most likely you will continue to test negative.

Unfortunately right now you are interpreting everything that happens to you through a mindset of HIV jitters. But symptoms (or the lack of them) will never tell you anything accurately about your HIV status. Only an HIV test taken at the right time can give you that answer.
Andy Velez

Offline Samara

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2011, 12:52:43 pm »
Thanks heaps andy, I appreciate your advice. I am doing my best to keep busy, it's not that I'm particularly scared of HIV it's just that this test is still one of the more serious ones left to take.  Whatever happens I'll be ok i'm a tough cookie :)

Just pleased to know that this could is not relevant to HIV. Thanks again

Offline Samara

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2011, 12:55:00 pm »
Ps meant to say cold not could!!!!

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2011, 01:06:24 pm »
You're welcome. And keeping busy with other things while waiting to test is a very, very  good idea.

Good luck with your test.
Andy Velez

Offline Samara

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2011, 04:39:35 pm »
bugar... was just stupidly searching the internet and came across this website thebody which claims that in a study done on clinical predictors of PHI nasal congestion was included?????? 

I thought mucus was not a aprt of ARS, can somebody please clarify as severe nasal congestion and mucus is all  have had.  I was totally reassuredbut now reading this I am scared.

Please help.

Offline Samara

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2011, 04:40:38 pm »
Sorry, here is quote, am confused:

PHI patients were more likely to be gay and exposed to an HIV-infected person. A comparison of symptoms showed that PHI patients were more likely to experience fever, myalgia, arthralgia, rash, or night sweats. Only these symptoms and the lack of nasal congestion turned out to be statistically significant predictors of PHI. (See Table 3.) Combining fever, myalgia, and rash increased the predictive value of these symptoms. However, no combination of symptoms identified more than 75% of PHI patients.

Offline Samara

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2011, 05:25:02 pm »
Sorry for another post you guys are going to think I am a total nut job, I'm not I'm just having a really bad day with all this.

I have very stupidly spent the last 3 hours on the internet. I have found one website where a doctor hhh claims that ars does not produce mucus and the only respiratory problems it would cause are sore throat and cough and then thebody, albeit an old study, cites nasal congestion ad an indicator!!!

All I want to know is which I'd right? Is sever congestion and a ton of mucus indicative of an ars symptom??

If you could please answer then I will bow out gracefully from the forum until I get my 6 weeks result. I just really need to know, I know I am being a prize pain in the arse and I'm sorry I just don't know who to ask and the 2 sites I
Mentioned have confused me do much!!

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2011, 05:53:02 pm »
If you continue to surf the net I an absolutely promise you that you will find lots to feed your worst fears with. And of course to no good purpose.

You've got some waiting time to get through and there is no sensible way around that. You'd do better to stay off of the net and focus on other matters in your life. Test initially at 6 weeks. A negative at that point is a strong indication that you will test negative at 3 months.

Nothing you are reporting symptomatically is HIV-specific. But then neither the presence or absence of symptoms is ever going to tell you anything accurately about your HIV status. Only a test result can give you that answer.
Andy Velez

Offline Samara

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2011, 06:03:49 pm »
I get that andy, I really do. Like I say bad day and today I'm thinking that ann's advice of a rape counsellor might be a good idea.

So for final clarification nasal/head congestion is not an ars symptom, correct?

I am sorry for going on but I just need a straight yes/no Answer so I can get off this damn internet

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2011, 06:15:21 pm »
That's right, nasal/head congestion is not in any way an HIV specific symptom. Unfortunately right now you are misinterpreting everything that happens or doesn't happen physically as another affirmation that HIV is the problem.

Recovering from your attack is not something to try to do alone in solitary. Get yourself some professional help to get you through this understandably upsetting time.
Andy Velez

Offline Samara

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2011, 06:22:02 pm »
Thanks andy I really appreciate your kindness and patience with me. I guess I'll put this head cold down to a real shitty timed bug I caught as it's clearly not HIV related. First thing on the cards tomorrow will be getting that counsellor. I can feel myself going slightly loopy with it all :) thanks again to both you and Ann for your advice and kindness.

Offline Samara

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2011, 05:13:05 am »
Sorry, I have another question.....

Thankfully I am coming close to 6 weeks so I can test again.

My boyfriend and I were stupid and foolishly engaged in unprotected sex, like I said stupid I know but I think it was a need for comfort on both our parts. 

He has now had a mild, scratchy sore throat and mild tiredness for 4 days which is improving.  I am just wondering if this sounds like ARS for him?

Please don't berate me I know it was a dumb thing to do but I was at crisis point.  I am so angry with myself for involving him and putting him at risk.  I know you all say symptoms are no indicator but please please help me out on this one.

I can have my 6 week test on Monday and then I will know a bit more.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2011, 05:55:52 am »
Samara,

I don't know what you want us to tell you. You know we're going to say that neither symptoms nor the lack of symptoms mean a single thing when it comes to diagnosing hiv. To me it sounds like your boyfriend has a head cold - but we cannot diagnose him over the internet and we won't even try.

I won't berate you for not using condoms - it sounds like you're already doing a good job of beating yourself up over it. Knock it off. You're not doing yourself any favours.

You're just going to have to hang in there until your test next week. If it is negative, I fully expect you to continue to test negative when you confirm at the three month point.

If you get a positive result, your boyfriend will also need to be tested. While his risk being the insertive partner is on the low end of the scale, if you have been recently infected, your viral load will be very high and that will increase his risk.

Please do not have any more unprotected intercourse until you get your test result. You can have all the intercourse you want, just make sure he's wearing a condom.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Samara

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2011, 07:43:45 am »
Thanks Ann, your totally right I do need to knock it off. I guess I just freaked cos he started complaining of this throat irritation and tiredness, he's the kind of guy that never gets sick!

It's been 5 weeks and 5 days now. Am I best to wait til 6 weeks or would a test now be just as reliable. My local clinic does the rapid and I can have the results in an hour.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2011, 08:11:43 am »
Samara,

Two days aren't going to make a whole lot of difference. If it will put your mind at ease, go test today.

And to be honest, it's just silly worrying only because he's feeling unwell. Many, many people never notice a single symptom of seroconversion illness. Would you not be worried if he felt fine? That's erroneous thinking. That's why I always say neither symptoms - nor the lack of symptoms - will ever tell you a single thing about your hiv status. ONLY testing at the appropriate time will.

Regardless of how he is feeling, if you did become infected through the attack, he has been at risk, plain and simple. Here's hoping you test negative.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Samara

« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2011, 01:49:29 pm »
I just got my result back, it was negative. This would have been day 39/40 dependent on how you calculate it). The doctor at the centre said that if I am positive she would expect it to have shown up by now. She said I could be highly reassured by this and expects me to test negative at 12 weeks. What do you think?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2011, 08:28:23 am »
Samara,

Yes, I totally agree with the doctor and I also fully expect you to continue to test negative. That's great news. I hope this helps you to put the attack behind you.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Samara

« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2011, 09:58:12 am »
Thanks Ann, i means that I can put all my energy into the counselling and moving forward. If it's ok I'll report back on the 12 week test. Thanks for the support x

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2011, 10:03:57 am »
Samara,

You're welcome. And yes, feel free to let us know how it turns out for you. I'm expecting another negative result and so should you.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Samara

« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2011, 02:27:20 pm »
Sorry for yet another question... Would it matter what generation ELISA was used to make the 40 day test reliable? I've no idea what generation it was, my results only state ELISA

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2011, 04:56:05 pm »
At 3 months all generations of tests in use now are accurate. And with your negative at 40 days, I agree with Ann that you are very likely going to continue to test negative.
Andy Velez

Offline Samara

« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2011, 11:49:28 am »
Hey Ann and Andy,

I hope that you are both well.

I just got back from a session with my rape counsellor, I decided that this is something I should do.  We discussed my latest 39 day negative result.  She looked back over my details and said that on the night I was raped in the hospital they did bloodwork and an HIV test is one of them (she said to rule out that I am already infected).  She compared my result from that night to my 39 day result (both with 3rd generation tests) and said that on both of them they were non reactive with a figure of 0.3.

Now, she said that to her it would make sense to say that I most certainly do not have HIV as surely the number from the first night compared to 39 days would be much greater (even if still not enough to test positive).

She did say that she is looking at it more from a common sense view than a HIV testing knowledge view.

I just wanted to ask you guys if what she is saying does indeed make sense or if it is completely wrong.  I thought I would come and ask the experts rather than speculate about it.

Thanks

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2011, 12:14:41 pm »
Every negative result is a happy thing. The average time to seroconversion is 22 days. All but the smallest number of those who are going to seroconvert will do so within 4-6 weeks after a risky incident.

So yes, a negative at 5.5 weeks is a very good indication that you are going to continue to test negative.
Andy Velez

Offline Samara

« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2011, 12:20:30 pm »
Thanks Andy, I must say I am feeling better about all of this.

What do you think about her summise that my 'levels' were the same on day 1 and day 39 both 0.3.  Does this mean anything or is it irrelevant? She felt that it was proof that I did not have HIV as the level had not gone up from day 1?????

Sorry to keep bugging you guys, I am very grateful for your help.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2011, 12:24:37 pm »
The important fact is the negative result. I appreciate your wanting the max of reassurance, but it's that negative result that leads me to expect you to continue to test negative.

Now you need to work on focusing on other things in  your life. It will make the remaining waiting time pass more easily than you may imagine is possible. Really.
Andy Velez

Offline Samara

« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2011, 12:34:20 pm »
Ok, thanks Andy.  Like I said before I really appreciate both of your help on this one.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2011, 02:14:50 pm »
You're welcome. Glad you found the exchanges to be helpful.
Andy Velez

Offline Samara

« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2011, 06:27:14 am »
Hey ann/andy,

Hope you are all doing well. 

First of all I wanted to say thanks heaps for all of your help.  I am doing good now and much of my anxiety has gone thanks to the help of an awesome counsellor.  I am being very well looked after :)

I was doing a little bit of research, I REFUSE to look at symptoms or anything like that but I did have a look at the websites of the states that use a 6 week testing mark.  I just have a question with regards to this.  These sites say that 6 weeks is sufficient and that anybody who develops antibodies after 6 weeks falls into the immunocompromised category.

Now, while I fully understand that current guidelines everywhere else are 3 months in order to be conclusive do you feel that states like MA and NY are correct with what they say.

I have looked at my negative test at 39/40 days and feel that based on their guidelines my test at this stage would either be positive or inderterminate if it were going to be.

Is this why you guys say that 6 weeks is excellent indicator but test at 3 months.  I.e 6 weeks is realistic but 3 months is guidlelines that until they are changed you must stick to?

Thanks in avance for your help, I plan to test at 12 weeks I am currently 8 weeks and 5 days :)

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2011, 06:35:45 am »
There are NO TESTS marketed or sold to give a conclusive negative test result earlier than 3 months post exposure.

Offline Samara

« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2011, 06:42:35 am »
I understand that 100% and I know that in order to be conclusively HIV negative a 3 month test is needed.

What I am asking is regarding some US states reasons for using a 6 weeks guideline?  Surely they would have had to go through the correct channels to put this in place?  Ministry of health of whatever it is in US.  I am sure they did not make this change lightly.

All I am asking is with this guideline if a person were going to test positive and where not immunosuppressed then surely at the 40 days that I tested it would have in the least been inderterminate?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2011, 08:03:29 am »
Samara,

MA uses a six week window period because they only allow fourth generation tests to be used. 

And yes, we stick to the three month window period here because this is an international website and three months is the standard window period world-wide. After all, when it comes to something like hiv, it's better to be safe than sorry and confirm at the three month point. Personally, I've yet to see a six week negative change, but we still must stick to the three month window until the CDC changes their policy.

I really, really do not expect your results to change. Seriously. You would have tested poz by now. You're going to be ok, ok? Hang in there while you wait for the appropriate time to confirm that negative.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Samara

« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2011, 09:18:44 am »
Thanks so much Ann, you're advice is an absolute god send.  Just a quick question I haven't tested since the 40 day negative. Do you think I should test again or shall I wait?

Mentally I am doing ok, your guidance that you think if I were to test positive I would have done so at the 40 day test really helped.

Thanks again, feel like a fruit cake with all these posts but the info I'd really helpful :)

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2011, 09:59:01 am »
Samara,

You don't need to test again until the three month window period is over. I'm quite sure you'll only confirm your negative result.

Keep busy with other things while you wait to confirm and the time will go by much faster, believe me. Hang in there.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Samara

« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2011, 10:12:53 am »
Thanks so much Ann, you guys are awesome. Spending your time on here helping people and you have the patience of a saint!!!

Speak to you again in a few weeks with an update and hopefully good news.

Thanks again x

Offline Samara

« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2011, 08:30:27 am »
Hi,

Jusy wanted to give you guys a bit of an update on my situation.

Yesterday morning I started vomiting and couldn't stop :( My partner took me into the ER last night and they ended up admitting me as I was so dehydrated.

We were really lucky and got a great doctor who we told all the other info to about the attack  I told him about my neg at 40 days and that it was now exactly 9 weeks.  He said that seeing as they were taking blood for other things why didn't they re-check HIV.  He gave us the talk about it not being conclusive until 12 weeks but 9 weeks would be pretty damn good.  On examing me he also found a couple of random what he called very obvious ringworm lesions!!!

So, they did the test and it was neg at exactly 9 weeks.  When he talked to us about it earlier he said that his opinion is that this will not change in next few weeks and that the sickness and very random ringworm are absolutely nothing to do with HIV as I would have tested pos if they were.

No questions, just wanted to update you guys on the latest test.  I hadn't planned to test again until 12 weeks but the doc recommendeded it.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2011, 08:45:40 am »
Samara,

I also do not expect your results to change when you test in a few weeks. Please, relax. You don't have hiv.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Samara

« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2011, 11:47:03 am »
Thanks Ann x

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2011, 11:51:10 am »
For what it's worth, I also expect you to continue to test negative. A little more waiting time and I expect you to get an all-clear.
Andy Velez

Offline Samara

« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2011, 07:43:46 am »
I am driving myself insane coming on here again and again asking questions so I'm sorry I'm sure i'm doing your head in as well!!! Only a few more weeks and then its over. I'm actually asking this one on behalf of my partner . We didn't create an account for him as you have all the details from me... Hope this is ok and not breaching any rules?

Today he has woken up with the flu, chills, cough, sore throat, headache and muscle aches. Classic flu symptoms. With my 9 week negative under my belt are we safe and right to assume that he has simply picked up an everyday common virus and that this isn't seroconversion?

We are looking at it logically I.e my test would have been pos by now so it must just be a flu.

Do you think we are right? We are trying to keep it all in perspective and would value your opinions.

Sorry for being back on here again so soon and taking up more if your time.

S x

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #45 on: October 23, 2011, 09:41:44 am »
There is absolutely nothing HIV specific in what you are reporting about your partner's symptoms. You two are just spooked about HIV and unfortunately busily misinterpreting everything that happens or doesn't happen through the HIV jitters mindset.

I'm still expecting you to test negative.
Andy Velez

Offline Samara

« Reply #46 on: October 24, 2011, 11:14:22 am »
Hi AGAIN!!!

Sorry for bothering you.  I asked the doctor at the hospital today what type of testing they did as I stupidly read up on generation of tests.

He said that they used a Roche Cobas E411.  I know that different generations have slightly different sensitivities and I am wondering what generation this one is.  Do either of you know?

I know that at 3 months the generation is irrelevant and all will pick up antibodies but.....

At 9 weeks is there going to be a difference between say a 2nd  or 3rd generation test?

Thanks

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #47 on: October 24, 2011, 11:28:01 am »
Samara,

Any generation of test will normally pick up an infection by six weeks. The newer generations - particularly a duo test - can pick up an infection in as little as two weeks.

Your result is not going to change when you confirm at three months.

You need to stop thinking about this all the time. You're not doing yourself any favours.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Samara

« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2011, 01:13:52 pm »
I know Ann, I know.  I am turning into a bloody nightmare.  The closer it gets to 12/13 weeks the more nervous I am becoming. 

I think my partner getting sick has made it worse, I know symptoms mean nothing and you don't have to have symptoms to have HIV etc...

He actually went to the doctors today as he felt so bad, had a fever of 38.5 and got a jab in the bum to bring it down.  I think maybe I am feeling guilty  more than anything. I look at how many posts I have made on here and think what a loser, you guys must think I am a total loon keep coming on here asking  more questions.  I am sorry, its just you guys really do help get things in perspective.

Anyway this is all stuff to tell my counsellor not you guys!!

I am off for a glass of wine and to watch something trashy on TV and take my mind off it.

Thanks and sorry x

Offline Samara

« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2011, 12:02:27 pm »
I just wanted to let you guys know that I had a 13 week negative.

I want to thank you all for your help and support through this time, it has been very difficult.

The rape counselling is helping and will continue for the forseeable future.

Thanks again for all that you do here and for providing help and advice and also for your patience.

xxx

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.