Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:45:50 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 375
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 349
Total: 351

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Famous People Rumored to have Died of AIDS?  (Read 47437 times)

Offline PeteNYNJ

• When life gives you AIDS...make LemonAIDS!
    • Dance for Me, Puppets
Famous People Rumored to have Died of AIDS?
« on: November 01, 2010, 10:07:26 am »
Hello All

A friend and I were watching "The Eyes of Laura Mars" this weekend and were discussing whether or not Raul Julia died of AIDS.  We both recall hearing that at some point but couldn't find any other information.  It got us discussing other famous people who died of AIDS that were usually covered up by a "long illness". 

The two I remember hearing about were Michael Landon and Jim Henson.  I am sure there are tons more.

Anyone else come to mind?

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
Re: Famous People Rumored to have Died of AIDS?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 10:22:35 am »
Hello All

A friend and I were watching "The Eyes of Laura Mars" this weekend and were discussing whether or not Raul Julia died of AIDS.  We both recall hearing that at some point but couldn't find any other information.  It got us discussing other famous people who died of AIDS that were usually covered up by a "long illness". 

The two I remember hearing about were Michael Landon and Jim Henson.  I am sure there are tons more.

Anyone else come to mind?

I hadn't heard that about any of the 3 you mentioned.  What makes you think this?

Offline PeteNYNJ

• When life gives you AIDS...make LemonAIDS!
    • Dance for Me, Puppets
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 10:27:55 am »
I remember reading it somewhere...I have no idea. 

I am sure it was on the ever so accurate internet somewhere. 

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 10:28:27 am »

Papa Ingles died of AIDS?  I always thought it was cool how he had a $300 haircut even back then when wheels were made out of wood.  I think he really died from cancer of the liver or something.
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 10:46:26 am »
Michael Landon died of either pancreatic or liver cancer.

Just an FYI.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 10:49:30 am »
Landon died of pancreatic cancer that spread to his liver and lymph nodes.

Henson died from a Group A streptococcal infection. It essentially caused wide-spread organ failure, and quickly too.

Raul Julia died after stroke which caused a coma. Prior to the stroke, he'd had food poisoning after eating sushi, which was complicated further by prior stomach surgery (for an ulcer, I think).

I've never heard a rumour that any of these three died of aids related causes.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline wtfimpoz

• Let's make biscuits!
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2010, 12:45:56 pm »
Silly, don't you know, rich and beautiful people don't get teh AIDS.  Success is a better prophyaxis than any condom or medical regime could ever be.   ::)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 12:50:10 pm by wtfimpoz »
09/01/2009-neg
mid april, 2010, "flu like illness".
06/01/2010-weakly reactive ELISA, indeterminant WB
06/06/2010-reactive ELISA, confirmed positive.

DATE       CD4     %     VL
07/15/10  423     33    88k
08/28/10  489     19    189k
09/06/10-Started ATRIPLA
09/15/10  420     38    1400
11/21/10  517     25    51

Offline carousel

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2010, 02:12:07 pm »
Here's a list of well known people, who are living or have died of HIV.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_HIV-positive_people

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2010, 02:16:24 pm »

My name wasn't on it. :(

Offline carousel

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2010, 02:25:13 pm »
My name wasn't on it. :(

Yep, me neither.  But then again they forgot my favourite socialite, Regan H.

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2010, 02:54:16 pm »
Yasser Arafat, rumor.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline klipsch

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2010, 03:03:18 pm »

Very interesting. Thanks for the link. Of course these are people that have disclosed their status one way or another. I've often wondered how many public figures (famous, actors, etc...) there really are out the that are HIV+? Hep C seems to be more widely accepted by the public than HIV is. I mean with HIV being the "Gay Disease" and all...  ::)
when shit has value...the poor will be born without assholes...

Offline Snowangel

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2010, 08:17:57 pm »
Cool link.
LOL, wonder what was going on behind the scenes of Dallas?
Of all the things you wear, your expression is the most important

The heaviest thing you can carry is a grudge..

One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

One thing you can't recycle is wasted time.

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2010, 08:35:56 pm »
Cool link.
LOL, wonder what was going on behind the scenes of Dallas?

I saw that a while back after watching Freddie Mercury's biography.  It really saddens me, all those people were folks I looked up to and admired as a kid.  That was such a shitty period in history. Hell even Mrs. Kitty from Gunsmoke got taken.....  I have memories of my mother making Sunday dinnner and us watching that show.

I still have a very clear image of them wheeling Rock Hudson off a plane, onto the tarmac..... it was just bad.  Sometimes you have to think... what might have been had all these people who died from this were still around, and I don't just mean the actors and actresses..  Our friends and loved ones as well...  Definitely something to think about.

Offline Snowangel

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2010, 08:49:11 pm »
It is sad. I have memories of watching Dallas with my grandmother.  I was just thinking they were having a lot of fun behind the scenes.
Of all the things you wear, your expression is the most important

The heaviest thing you can carry is a grudge..

One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

One thing you can't recycle is wasted time.

Offline weasel

« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2010, 09:14:29 pm »

That is alot of reading there .

I also  think  that 1980 is WAY OFF ! 

Seeing Stewart McKinney's name brings back an afternoon at his mansion when HIS WIFE

stood on the stairs   SCREAMING AT ME !  She scared me to death ! I was only 16  :o

Weasel

I  Used to serve Liberace'  drinks late in the evenings , Lee was a nice man  :)
" Live and let Live "

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2010, 10:16:50 pm »
 I was just thinking they were having a lot of fun behind the scenes.

Oh no, I hope you didn't think I was saying that directed at you for any reason.  When I saw that link it just reminded me of some thoughts I had when I originially saw it a while back.  If you ever see it on TV, either one Behind the Music or Biography, regarding Freddie Mercury is a must see.

Sorry about that Snow.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 10:19:57 pm by skeebo1969 »

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2010, 12:13:58 am »
Landon died of pancreatic cancer that spread to his liver and lymph nodes.

Henson died from a Group A streptococcal infection. It essentially caused wide-spread organ failure, and quickly too.

Raul Julia died after stroke which caused a coma. Prior to the stroke, he'd had food poisoning after eating sushi, which was complicated further by prior stomach surgery (for an ulcer, I think).

I've never heard a rumour that any of these three died of aids related causes.

I learn something new everyday.  I had thought Henson died from cancer.  I do remember hearing he had been feeling ill for a while and didn't seek treatment until too late.  There is an episode of "Family Guy" where they say Henson "had a wait and see attitude and we now have funny sounding Muppets."  I've never heard the AIDS killed Landon or Henson.  I'm sure there have to be some celebrities who have HIV and are able to keep it private.  This would be remarkable given how many times hospital employees have gotten into trouble for looking at celebrity files and then talked to tabloids.  If a big star died from AIDS, I would be very surprised they were able to keep it private.     

Offline Cliff

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2010, 02:38:51 am »
Yep, me neither.  But then again they forgot my favourite socialite, Regan H.
Isn't the beauty of Wiki is that you can edit articles yourself?

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.