Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 30, 2024, 01:10:45 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772965
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 178
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 137
Total: 137

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: truvada and alcohol  (Read 5722 times)

Offline billyzon

• Standard
truvada and alcohol
« on: March 05, 2013, 12:35:58 pm »
Hello, first I would like to say I know how stupid it is to have any unprotected intercourse but I also should not have drank to the point of affecting my judgement. I was drunk with a friend and had a lapse of judgement, I let my friend perform oral sex (no condom) then I dipped for a few seconds (slow stroke no condom) . My friend is poz and on atripla (though he had not taken it that night), after that he performed some oral on me then I felt sick and threw up and the whole sexual escapade was over. I went to the hospital the next day and got atripla for pep. My question is how at risk am I considering there was no blood on my penis and no semen from either of us?  I will continue my pep but Im also not sure if I have to wait 6 weeks from exposure or 6 weeks after pep to test. Can I get a test a few days after pep for piece of mind? will it be accurate?

thank you in advance.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: 10-20 second dipping incident
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 01:32:43 pm »
The dipping was a slight risk if he had a high viral load but the most important thing is you are on PEP now , so you are going to be OK .

You will need to wait 6 weeks after PEP before you test again .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 01:46:32 pm »

My friend is poz and on atripla

Billy,

You are highly unlikely to end up hiv positive following this brief dipping incident, particularly as he's on hiv meds. Ask him if his viral load is undetectable - if it is, you're more likely to get hit by lightning while sitting in your living room than you are to become infected from this incident.

You certainly don't need PEP over this. Even if your friend wasn't on meds, you still wouldn't need PEP. Your risk is that low.

I hope you realise that getting a blowjob is absolutely not a risk for hiv infection. Not only is saliva not infectious, but it also contains over a dozen different proteins and enzymes that damage hiv and render it unable to infect.

A six week test (either post incident if you don't keep taking PEP, or six weeks post-PEP) is the earliest you should test. A negative result at six weeks must be confirmed at the three month point.

I would not expect you to test positive over this brief insertive incident, with or without PEP. It's up to you to decide if you want to take meds that you don't need - and the particular combo you're taking comes with side-effects.

One last thing - I hope you were tested for hiv before they put you on PEP.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline billyzon

• Standard
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 12:33:44 pm »
Thank you guys so much

I was not sleeping for days and was even late with my atripla dose last night and freaked out. Im not sure what my friends viral load is now but months ago he told me it was undetectable and I think that can change from time to time (right?). Just to be on the safe side im going to continue this PEP  but just to know that my stupid mistake wont cost me my life or my boyfriend( who i have already spoke to about the incident) is the best feeling in the world! I just wish I can take test before six weeks because thats going to put me at some time in may before its conclusive.

Also, for some reason, the hospital did a urine and blood test but the doctor told me they cant test for hiv at the hospital but all my other blood  tests came back ok.

Anyways, I swear from the point on I will not do anything so dumb, thank you for your input, you have no idea what you have done for this nervous wreck of a man!

Offline billyzon

• Standard
truvada and alcohol
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 06:22:03 pm »
im on truvada for pep (switched from atripla for side effects) and ive noticed that when i drink alcohol with either of the drugs I wake up an hour later with rapid heart beat and difficulty breathing and i usually end up going back to sleep about an hour or 2 after these episodes. Ive been on truvada for 4 days and the only time I had trouble was the day I drank. Im wondering if i just have anxiety about the medication or if alcohol is actually interacting with the medication. When it happened on atripla i was dizzy, couldnt breathe, and rapid heart rate, I only had  rapid heart rate  and difficulty breathing for a bit. My biggest fear is that ill die in my sleep I guess while im on this and drinking. I should mention that I didnt drink much , only 2 drinks on my second episode and maybe 5 drinks on my first episode. I actually exercised for the first time yesterday and while i was slow at first I was able to finish a full work out. I worked out again today and didnt have any real issues either, so not sure if theres anything wrong with my heart or its all in my head because I  dont think id be able to workout for an hour if i had heart issues or lactic acidosis. Im on day 8 of the 28 day treatment and just wondering if those side effects in the earlier days was just related to my body adjusting. (also have had sporadic  itching thats not severe and with no rash)

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 06:24:13 pm by billyzon »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: truvada and alcohol
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 06:53:16 pm »
Billy,

I removed your post from a forum in which you are not permitted to post and placed it here in your thread in Am I Infected? which is the only place you may post.

For a start, you don't really need to be on PEP as we've already discussed with you.

If you feel you need to continue on with the PEP, why don't you just stop drinking until you're finished with the course? It's a no-brainer, isn't it? I did warn you that the combo you're on (in particular, the Sustiva component) comes with side-effects.

It seems to be rather silly to come here and complain about enhanced Sustiva side-effects due to your insistence on drinking alcohol. If you can't cut alcohol out of your life for a few weeks, then perhaps you have a serious drink problem that needs to be addressed.

You can read more about the drugs you're taking in our Treatments pages and you can also read tips about dealing with side effects here.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.