Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 12:03:59 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37639
  • Latest: Glassxj
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773166
  • Total Topics: 66331
  • Online Today: 189
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 183
Total: 183

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Which State has the best HIV medical assistance programs?  (Read 5575 times)

Offline byathread

Which State has the best HIV medical assistance programs?
« on: April 29, 2007, 09:34:41 am »
I'm currently a MA resident..a starving artist so I solely depend on my state's health assistance program in order to get my HIV treatment including medication. 

My partner and I want to move to Georgia but it seems as though the southern states have ridiculous limitations on who may actually receive HIV treatment.  I've read that in S.Carolina there's actually a waiting list to be eligible to receive HIV meds and that some may wait until the brink of death to receive medication.  Is this accurate?  Is our country really THAT barbaric?

What are the top 5 states that offer HIV medical assistance? 

Offline RapidRod

Re: Which State has the best HIV medical assistance programs?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007, 10:50:30 am »
http://www.atdn.org/access/states/index.html

With the link above, you can check and see which states have a waiting list and how long the list is.

Offline momoftwo

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2007, 11:56:45 am »
From the experience I have had in Minnesota, I am quite pleased. Because I am pregnant I am on the state MA at the momment but may lose that after the baby because of the income that my fiance makes. I have spoken to my social worker at the Minnestota Aids Project, the social worker at my id clinic and the people at my local ASO. All seem confident that I will have med coverage for years to come. I even get my Zofran covered by the Ryan White grant in our state.
We also have a program called Open Arms that delivers healthy meals for five days and our ASO offers accupuncture, massages and chiropractor therapies.
Forgot to add they also give a monthly allowance of 50 for nutritional supplement and they cover other medical and dental services.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2007, 12:00:29 pm by momoftwo »

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2007, 12:33:49 pm »
Wow momoftwo!  It sounds like Minnesota has a great program!  Our ASO doesn't do anything like offering massage therapy, acupuncture or chiropractic services.  (I live in Indiana, where supposedly there's more than corn! :D).  I try to get them to do something, anything, for us clients, but when they do, it seems like there's just no interest.  I'm not sure how long people have to wait here for state assistance to get their meds, but I do believe they don't have to wait very long.   
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2007, 01:50:25 pm »
Here in Ohio, I didn't have to wait at all. I was on the medical assistance before I left the hospital. There are a lot of programs here for those with low coverage insurance, no insurance and for people that have high co-payments that puts a burden on them. There is assistance for people on Medicare Part D to help with the loop hole and the premiums. I really can't complain about Ohio. As with everywhere else, if there is a high increase of infection in the state, I'm sure they will start changing their process.

Offline belief

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2007, 02:06:30 pm »
momoftwo...that is good news!  i just found out my hiv status on the 26th...i am devastated but it gives me hope that there is help available.  i am also in Minnesota...money is certainly going to be an issue for me going forward as i'm going through a divorce on top of everything else...my income will drop from 110k to below 30k.  any advice for assistance or where to start would be so helpful.  at this time i don't know my CD4 or my viral load...so i'm not on meds, but i'm scared for that day to come and wonder what i'll do.

5/07 - viral load: 28,890  CD4: 514 
8/07 - viral load: 38,710  CD4: 451
9/07 - viral load: 47,000  CD4: 467
11/07 - viral load: 17,600 CD4: 421

Offline Bucko

• You need a shine, missy!
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2007, 02:32:37 pm »
Without getting into any long sob story about how the south treats its citizens with HIV/AIDS, I just would like to recommend that Byathread stays in Massachusetts until he is certain that his insurance is entirely portable.

Please please please trust me when I say that you don't want to be on the teat of any public health programs to the west or south of Longmeadow. It is an abstract lesson in humility.

Brent
(Who lives in Florida)
Blessed with brains, talent and gorgeous tits.

Blathering on AIDSmeds since 2005, provocative from birth

Offline momoftwo

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2007, 04:12:51 pm »
Belief I sent you a pm of all the services that I know about.
I agree with Bucko to stay where you are until you know what transfers. My parents want me to move to South Dakota however their program does not cover protease inhibitors etc and that makes me hesitant to even think about it.

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2007, 06:14:03 pm »
From the time I spent (2 years) working as a volunteer and trying ti get the RWCA reauthorized, I would say California, New York and New Jersey.  But there are some upcoming changes in HIV service funding so I would say all bets are off.

Instead of looking at states, I recommend looking at communities.  As an example, I lived in Los Angeles when diagnosed with HIV and then AIDS.  We had Title I funding and everything was the best.  I moved to Northern California because of an offer for free housing.  It was Title II and the services sucked (the ID docs couldn't treat PN), HOPWA assistance was lower and harder to get.  In a Title II district, federal HUD mones are distributed to the state first.  If that sate budget is not approved each year and signed by the Governor (on time), those assistasnce dollars are witheld until the budget is approved.  In a Title I EMA, the HUD dollars go directly to the agency which issues the funds.  The programs and the dollar amount is radically different between Title I and Title II.

Then I moved to Sonoma County (a Title I EMA).  Services as in L.A. were restored, I had the best ID doc in the state.  Sonoma County loses it's Title I funding in three years.  Once again all bets are off and I have to move again...  Los Angeles is an expensive move but I have 2 years and 11 months to save up for it.  Have the best day
Michael

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2007, 06:40:08 pm »
Let's not go by states, but by cities... NYC has as far as I know the best services.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline edfu

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2007, 07:49:18 pm »
As a resident of NYC, I would tend to agree with philly, although several of the benefits here are actually through New York State.  ADAP has no waiting list here, to begin with, and it covers almost everything conceivable.  In addition, there are two other vitally important programs if you have too much income or too many assets (such as savings or 401K funds):  AHIP and APIC. 

The greatest New York State benefit is actually from the New York State Dept. of Insurance:  You cannot be refused health insurance, and you do not have to worry about a pre-existing clause, as long as you have continuous coverage without a break of 63 days.  So, for example, if you're on COBRA after losing your job for any reason, and the COBRA expires, you can acquire a new health-insurance policy without any questions asked about pre-existing conditions as long as you do it within 63 days of the termination of your previous health-insurance policy. 

AHIP (AIDS Health Insurance Program):  If your monthly income is less than (currently) $1,511 and you are not eligible for Medicaid, AHIP pays your monthly health-insurance premiums.  AHIP does not count assets (which ADAP does), so you do not have to spend down your savings or 401K first.   

APIC (ADAP Plus Insurance Continuation Program):  If your income is too high for the AHIP program, APIC pays your monthly health-insurance premiums if you meet the eligibility criteria for ADAP.  An individual can have annual gross income of up to $44,000 and assets of no more than $25,000. 

Thus, with both AHIP and APIC, you can keep your health insurance and continue to see your same doctor(s).   
"No one will ever be free so long as there are pestilences."--Albert Camus, "The Plague"

"Mankind can never be free until the last brick in the last church falls on the head of the last priest."--Voltaire

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2007, 10:06:40 pm »
I was a speaker in a public open house on the RWCA a couple of years ago.  There was a couple in the audience who shared their experiences.  They are a married couple one with AIDS, the other was HIV+.  They had moved to Sonoma County from Atlanta because of lack of services for people living with HIV.  One of our Commission on AIDS members, I believe it was Dr. Netherda had commented that it was very strange that the city whuich houses to offices of The Centers for Disease Control would have little support for HIV.

Would someone who is living in Atlanta or has recently lived in Atlanta, please comment?  Have the best day
Michael

Offline byathread

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2007, 10:47:55 pm »
I can't tell you guys how disappointed in this country I am.  I guess I am just spoiled being a MA resident but a waiting list in the richest country in the world for life saving drugs?  Waiting lists kill people like us!  That's insane!  No offense to any of you who are patriotic but no longer are we the best nation on Earth.  We suck!

I guess my only option would be to either work at Walmart or keep my residential status at my parents house and fly home every 6 months to get treatment.  Thanks for all the help though I appreciate all the time and effort everyone put into their responses.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.