Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 08:15:32 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 795
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 610
Total: 611

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: He said I was easy  (Read 2550 times)

Offline Oceanbeach

He said I was easy
« on: February 05, 2007, 12:45:59 am »
Who said, He said???  I had my follow-up visit with Dr. after the last set of labs.
CD 4= 365, that is normal for me
% = 27%, that is normal for me
VL= Undectable, pretty constant since 1998

He said I was one of the easiest patients he has.  Nobody gets off the hook that easily so... I said, "Doctor, we both know the Center for HIV Prevention and Care will be losing $1.6 million under the terms and conditions of the Ryan White Modernization Act and this loss of funding can happen as early as March 1, 2007".  I have been called back to the Funding Allocation Working Group for a joint meeting including FAWG members, Commission on AIDS members and local providers.  We have 3 hours to redo 3 months worth of work on the FY 2007 budget and there is not enough funding for services.

The local hospital where he also sees HIV patients and has hospital privledges has announced closing it's doors so where do we go from here?  Being 1 of approximately 700 persons living with HIV in Sonoma County, with an estimated 1300 not yet in care, the concern (mine) is where do 2100-2400 people go for care in Sonoma County go when the Center is underfunded, Sutter is closing and Kaiser is members only.  There is no answer.

I have been invited to attend and listen to a conference call between the 9 California EMA's, the providers, HRSA and the Commission on AIDS on Tuesday afternoon.  Because of time limitations, I will not be allowed to participate but will have a better idea on how these cuts will affect people in Sonoma, Santa Clara, and Sacramento Counties.  Have the best day
Michael

Offline koi1

Re: He said I was easy
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2007, 07:53:29 am »
I am glad you posted this so people know funding should not be taken for granted. And it takes work to keep these programs in place. Perhaps organizing all of those who are affected and their families for a protest might have an impact. Maybe also those employed by these grants can also be convinced to start mobilizing.

rob
diagnosed on 11/20/06 viral load 23,000  cd4 97    8%
01/04/07 six weeks after diagnosis vl 53,000 cd4 cd4 70    6%
Began sustiva truvada 01/04/07
newest labs  drawn on 01/15/07  vl 1,100    cd4 119    7%
Drawn 02/10/07
cd4=160 viral load= 131 percentage= 8%
New labs 3/10/07 (two months on sustiva truvada
cd4 count 292  percentage 14 viral load undetectable

Offline Oceanbeach

Re: He said I was easy
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2007, 03:44:36 pm »
Hey Rob,

Those employed by the government, can not use government resources to lobby the government.  Kathleen Russell drives to Santa Rosa once each month from Sacramento (4 hours each way) to attend the Sonoma County Commission on AIDS meetings.  She introduces herself as an employee of the State Department of Health.  She has been doing this for years.  She is the Chief of ADAP in California.  Marion Deeds says she is "just a county employee", she has been elected as our Chair of the COA, in real life, she runs the county office which handles Medi-Cal (California version of Medicaid).  Allen Nishikawa also works for the County of Sonoma as Program Evaluator (or something), he is the Director of the Sonoma County Commission on AIDS.  Shari Brenner is HIV Section Manager at the Center for HIV Prevention and Care and the only person who sent me a Christmas card this year. 

They have each thanked me for publicly saying the things, they wish they could.  We have their support but they are paid with government funds and their equipment is paid for by government funds.  What Kathleen, Marion, Allen and Shari do on their own time, on their own computers is their business and they do but, they are not public about those tasks.

Last year, my ADAP was cancelled twice and this year Medi-Cal cancelled once.  I called Kathy because I have a little problem and within hours ADAP was restored.  Marion, "can you help", within 24 hours Medi-Cal was restored. 

I am an activist and a volunteer, these people give me the figures, facts and anything I may need to get the job done.  there are 52 Planning Counsils within the U.S. and all of them have people such as Kathleen, Marion, Allen and Shari who serve as Staff to the Commission.  If more people living with HIV/AIDS became involved, our world would be a better place.  Have the best day
Michael

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.