Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 02:03:39 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773280
  • Total Topics: 66347
  • Online Today: 354
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 301
Total: 302

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Decision: Should I take the new job?  (Read 3876 times)

Offline Ihavehope

• Yes, I'm a cry baby, AND WHAT?
Decision: Should I take the new job?
« on: January 24, 2007, 03:02:01 pm »
2005 was a bad year for me because I was jobless most of the year. I started a terrific 25 hour/week job at a University working with computer where I am the boss and I don't have anyone looking after me. I get paid more than full-time staff, make my own hours BUT no benifits. I started this job about 3 months ago and it is ideal for me right now because I basically do what I do when I want to.

Yesterday I got a call from another department to work as as a staff member in recruiting students for the university which is full-time but pays  less but at least I get medical benefits . I hear the people in the department are a bunch of crazy people who are difficult to work with. As a matter of fact I know 80% of the staff and they are miserable. 

In my heart, I know that I need to find a better job that pays more and is more challenging but going through a new disgnosis it has really affected my concentration. I do not want to apply for the full time job because of the stress level and lower pay, but I know the medical benefits are essential. Should I wait a year or so to find a job with benefits? I am a bit lost here. I turned down another job working for Nasdaq in their IT dept full-time which paid well but that was offered to me 4 weeks after diagnosis and working there I know would kill me faster because of the fast pace routine so I declined. In 2003 when I graduated college nothing good was offered to me and all of a sudden I am getting calls. How WTF? Went through countless interviews and dressed up all nice, my suits were getting so worn out because of all the interviews I was going for and now they are being offered to me without the interview process because of the people I know.

As of now I am under ADAP. I don't know how well they since I haven't dealt with them much. I was told that ADAP covers most of my medical expenses except hospital. I was in the hospital in october for dehydration and was there for about 18 hours and received a bill of $1100. They lowered it to 380 but still for one day? My case manager told me not to worry about hospitalization now because I am newly diagnosed. But one doesn't really know what can happen therefore if I do end up in the hospital I will have to pay for it out of my own pocket.

Should I take the new job which pays less, double stress but with benefits?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 04:42:39 pm by Ihavehope »
Infected: April 2005
12/6/06 - Diagnosed HIV positive
12/19/06 - CD4 = 240  22% VL = 26,300
1/4/07 - CD4 = 200 16% VL = ?
2/9/07 = Started Kaletra/Truvada
3/13/07 = CD4 = 386 22% VL ?

Offline Robert

Re: Decision: Should I take the new job?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 03:54:49 pm »
NO

Offline Strayboy74

• tastes like chicken
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 04:05:02 pm »
Should I take the new job which pays less, double stress but with benefits?

HELL NO!

Speaking as someone who finds themselves in the very situation you are considering entering into; my health has suffered.  I have seen a consistent and dramatic decrease in my health since taking this position - even though I've got GREAT benefits and get paid well.  I carry the stress home, buffer the boss' hateful tactics and the grief that accompanies it.

I'd trade it all for a job where I am happy, and healthy.  Don't make a mistake.  Wait, and keep looking, the right job will come for you.

-joseph

"You may know what you need,
but to get what you want,
better see that you keep what you have..."  - Into the Woods

Offline Razorbill

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 04:07:05 pm »
No.

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 04:10:05 pm »
No.
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline Strayboy74

• tastes like chicken
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2007, 04:12:39 pm »
One of the therapists that I support told me (once I told her I was unhappy with my position, and I was suffering undue stress) that your body releases cortisol to combat the stress, and it definitely has a negative impact on the immune system.

Go stress free!  :)

-joseph

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2007, 04:16:15 pm »
On the other hand, I took a stressful job for more money after diagnosis and it took my mind off of HIV and my numbers went up.  Surely that was the HIV medication though, but I digress.  Or it could have been that I stopped smoking and popping endless tabs of LSD, ecstasy and copious lines of ketamine, but I digress again (thank goodness meth wasn't prevelant back then!)

I had an even WORSE (imagine) stressful period due to something else a couple of years ago and actually my physical health improved.  Mentally though was a different story.

No offense ihavehope but I'm not sure you're ready yet, just going by your posting here this past month.  I'd hate to see you overwhelmed.  No reason you can't wait and look 6 months later is there?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 04:18:21 pm by philly267 »
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline LatinAlexander

• Bogota, Colombia
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2007, 04:29:29 pm »
NO WAY! :)
Poz since Jul 19 2006
Initial numbers : CD4-250 VL 3500
First labs after HAART (Dec 04-2006) : CD4-432 VL-<40 (Undetectable)  cd4%=25.11%
Started HAART: Combivir+Efavirenz Aug 26 7:38 pm
Feb 08 2007 - Gradually stopping HAART cause of Myalgia. Protecting Efavirenz. Stopped Efavirenz, ahead with Combivir....
February 17 Combivir stopped.
April 3 -07 : Started ddi+3tc+efavirenz...
Gay and positive (What a lack of Identity...:) )
Looking for my Ben....

Offline Val

• Praxitèles -- Satyre au repos
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2007, 04:31:16 pm »
I'd say NO!  Unless you're very ambitious...

Val
___
___
Arthus Bertrand
http://www.yannarthusbertrand.com/yann2/affichage.php?reference=TVDC%20YABFR084&pais=France
Ali Mahdavi
http://asyoudesireme.online.fr/index.htm
Richard de Chazal
http://www.richarddechazal.com/
Daniel Nassoy
http://www.danielnassoy.com/pages/galeries_portraits_2.html
Photography:
The word comes from the Greek words φως phos ("light"), and γραφίς graphis ("stylus", "paintbrush") or γραφή graphê, together meaning "drawing with light" or "representation by means of lines".

Offline Christine

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2007, 06:10:29 pm »
Can you talk to the department where you are working now, and ask if benefits can be added?

I would avoid the stress. Stay where you are, keep your eyes open for a low-stress job with benefits. Something will come along.

If you were to be hospitalized, the hospital can work out payment plans which are affordable.

Christine

Poz since '93. Currently on Procrit, Azithromax, Pentamidine, Valcyte, Levothyroxine, Zoloft, Epzicom, Prezista, Viread, Norvir, and GS-9137 study drug. As needed: Trazodone, Atavan, Diflucan, Zofran, Hydrocodone, Octreotide

5/30/07 t-cells 9; vl 275,000

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2007, 06:13:28 pm »
Actually if he's on ADAP in New York state he can get them to pay for a private insurer.  At least I think so... they did for me though it might have been because I was on COBRA.  I can't recall.

Whatever... he should be getting this information at an ASO.  If he's not gone and talked to someone at GMHC he's not doing his job.  He needs to know all of this information to make decisions and I'm not sure he's going through these motions.

Can you weigh in on this ihavehope?
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2007, 06:26:20 pm »
I think the vote is unanimous    ....NO  ...don't take the job..You already know it is not going to be a "good" job..you will be miserable....If you are getting referrals because of friends..be sure to keep up the contacts with them and let them know why you didn't accept the jobs offered...be sure they understand what you are looking for and ask to be considered  for that type of job ......If you just turn the jobs down the word will get back to whoever reccomended you and they may hesitate to do so again.......   Don't rush the decision..as long as you have meds coverage ..there are other programs that can help with Hospital  or major medical expenses.....
remember the good times...honor the past but don't live there
Le stelle la notte sono grandie luminose, nel cuore profondo del Texas

Offline poet

• Poet living and working in Central Maine
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2007, 06:37:28 pm »
I also think that you answered your own question: I started a terrific 25 hour/week job at a University working with computer where I am the boss and I don't have anyone looking after me. I get paid more than full-time staff, make my own hours BUT no benifits. I started this job about 3 months ago and it is ideal for me right now because I basically do what I do when I want to.

Ideal.  As for healthcare, I am guessing that you are in NYC.  If so, ADAP is fully funded and, as posted above, call ADAP to sort through what they do and do not cover?  We now have an unlikely proposal from the President which may also change things, so I wouldn't suggest that anyone, unless forced to do so, make a move ONLY for healthcare coverage until the dust settles as long as there is some form of healthcare.  At worst, given the hours that you are not working, you can test out some other options parttime and make a move if any of them seem wise.  Best, Win
Winthrop Smith has published three collections of poetry: Ghetto: From The First Five; The Weigh-In: Collected Poems; Skin Check: New York Poems.  The last was published in December 2006.  He has a work-in-progress underway titled Starting Positions.

Offline Nico

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2007, 08:57:35 pm »
I echo all the other good minded friends on here...HELL NO!  You have many options and you have got some great advice from the people on here.

Roger
Poz since 1990.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.