Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 04:05:13 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 223
Total: 225

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Salem Day Trip  (Read 11814 times)

Offline AMG Coordinator

Salem Day Trip
« on: April 29, 2009, 12:31:27 am »
Salem Day Trip with Ghost Tour

I'm requesting input on a Salem day trip. Specifically, transportation to and from.

From the look of things, there will be approximately 30 attendees. Most of which would like to participate in this outing.

The most economical way I've found appears to be via...

TRAIN
MBTA Commuter Rail trains on the Newburyport/ Rockport line run from Boston's North Station to Salem.

The trip to Salem's Downtown Depot takes about 30 minutes. Trains run about every 20 minutes during rush hours, every half-hour during the day, every hour at night and on weekends.

The passes being supplied to us from th MBTA will offer us 50% off of commuter rail tickets.  A quick glance shows a round trip fare should be around $4 per person.

The train would drop us off in downtown Salem which appears to be close to all attractions.

I'm currently working with Spellbound Tours to host our group. They offer two tours; one day (Witchcraft Tour) and one evening (Vampire and Ghost Tour) which was voted and the #3 ghost tour in America. The learn more about their tours please visit www.spellboundtours.com

1. Please post your opinion below regarding traveling by rail as a group to Salem

2. Please post if you intend on joining this day trip and if you would be interested in the day tour, night tour, or both.

Ciao,
Dennis

Offline minismom

• Quocumque jeceris stabit
Re: Salem Day Trip
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 08:22:45 am »
Hubby and I both vote for the train ride.  Sounds a lot less complicated and much faster than trying to do the cab / subway / bus route.  We also vote for the day (witch) tour since that's what Salem is known for.  Night tour with vampires and ghosts may be a bit scarey for the wee one.  If the majority vote for the night tour, we'll still do the day trip and just opt for something else during the tour.

Hubby, Mum, and Mim
www.watoto.com
www.MotherBearProject.org
"Whichever way you throw me, i will stand"
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today...it's already tomorrow in Australia"  Charles Schultz

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 08:49:33 am »
A Salem Witchcraft Tour sounds like fun ... as I'm suddenly having flashbacks of a certain Bewitched episode and the house of 7 gables!  :D
It is not the arrival that matters.  It is the journey along the way. -- Michel Montaigne

Offline Basquo

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 12:25:18 pm »
Santi and I are fine with rail and with a day tour. Bewitched fans (like me) will want to see the Elizabeth Montgomery statue!

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 01:30:51 pm »
Yes  put me down for the day trip..by train.....MBTA is actually a "Bud car"  self propelled rail usually no engine....fun...

Nick
remember the good times...honor the past but don't live there
Le stelle la notte sono grandie luminose, nel cuore profondo del Texas

Offline Jody

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 05:55:09 pm »
The day trip  by rail sounds great to me.

Jody
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2009, 10:24:37 am »
Day trip by train sounds fine to me too.

But someone will have to come to my room afterwards and get on their hands and knees. . . . .

to um. . . . .

er. . . . .

(RAB momentarily loses his train of thought   ::)  )

to check under the bed for monsters!  I get ascared pretty easily.

RAB 

Edited for typo

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2009, 10:55:10 am »
Count me in for a train trip -- and the Witch tour.

Haven't been to Salem in years......

Mike

Offline mjmel

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2009, 12:15:27 pm »
I'm interested too. Witch tour.
Any particular day?

Mike

Offline BikerGuy

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2009, 09:09:06 pm »
David, David and Bonnie are for the Train and Day Tour.

Checking for monsters under beds sounds like fun too :-)   
Anall nathrach - Oorfas bethud - Dorhiel dienvay

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2009, 12:36:59 am »
Count me in, too!

Love those ghosts!

"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2009, 02:54:04 am »
Soundds like a lot of fun..count me in.

Hugs
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline AMG Coordinator

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2009, 01:11:34 pm »
Tours have been confirmed for Sunday, August 9th.

Withcraft Tour (1 hour) - 2:00 pm - $5.00 per person (reg. $13.00)

For those staying for the Ghost Hunt Tour (75 minutes)...

8:00 pm and also $5.00 (reg. $13.00) per person.

Please let me know if you plan on taking the night tour.

Ciao,
Dennis

Offline Jody

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2009, 09:56:37 pm »
The night tour sounds good to me if others stay as well, I'll be very scared if I'm left alone in Salem at night!!!  Would that be in addition to the day tour or an alternative?

Jody  :D
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline Dennis

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2009, 10:03:41 pm »
The daytime tour is a definite. I'm assuming at least 90% of our group will be participating.

If enough show interest in staying for the evening tour (at least 10) then this will also be definitive. If enough do not participate, then the price would be $13 per person.

The night tour sounds good to me if others stay as well, I'll be very scared if I'm left alone in Salem at night!!!  Would that be in addition to the day tour or an alternative?

Jody  :D

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2009, 10:28:25 pm »
I definitely want to do the day tour and
I'm up for a ghost tour too.......

Mike

Offline BUZZCUTT

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2009, 10:34:44 pm »
When is the trip, I've been to Salem a few times its a great time
Buzz ♥

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2009, 04:30:56 am »
As long as there is a MBTA train to get back, I'm all for the ghost tour at night too.

-- I just checked --  as of today the Sunday return schedule is a 932p from Salem that arrives Boston NORTH station 1001p and a 1038p that arrives at 1107p as at BON.
It is not the arrival that matters.  It is the journey along the way. -- Michel Montaigne

Offline Dennis

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2009, 06:46:40 pm »
This should be fine.  The ghost tour starts at 8pm and should be completed by 9:30pm. That gives us an hour to get back to the train station.

FYI...the departure point of the tour is approximately 5-10 minute walk from the train station.

As long as there is a MBTA train to get back, I'm all for the ghost tour at night too.

-- I just checked --  as of today the Sunday return schedule is a 932p from Salem that arrives Boston NORTH station 1001p and a 1038p that arrives at 1107p as at BON.

Offline minismom

• Quocumque jeceris stabit
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2009, 05:16:34 pm »
Hubby, Mini, and I are definately up for the day tour but won't be doing the ghost tour.  If there are others who want to hang around for the "ghost-group" who aren't doing the tour, we'd love some company. 

I'm getting SO excited!! 2 1/2mths and counting!

Mum
www.watoto.com
www.MotherBearProject.org
"Whichever way you throw me, i will stand"
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today...it's already tomorrow in Australia"  Charles Schultz

Offline Razorbill

« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2009, 08:31:16 pm »
I'd be up for both tours - never been to Salem.  Great idea.

Offline BUZZCUTT

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2009, 08:41:10 am »
The Cemetery tour is great as well, at the end you get to do a tombstone rubbing.

Laurie Cabot is the resident witch of Salem, she has her own shop and usually will autograph her books for you.  The last time I saw her she had a bullseye tattoo on her forehead.  She is very unique and has been there forever and highly respected in the little community.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 08:44:31 am by BUZZCUTT »
Buzz ♥

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2009, 11:10:12 pm »
Count me in for both tours!

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline mjmel

« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2009, 09:07:43 am »
I need some details as I'm putting my itinerary together (mostly devoted to eating lobster and fresh seafood!)....so I must ask what is the assigned spot where AMG members gather as group for the Salem Trip (likely, The Chandler) but most importantly, what time do we head out for the MBTA station? Perhaps, it's in another thread that I've missed?

Mike

Offline AMG Coordinator

« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2009, 10:34:28 am »
Hi Mike,

From the main itinerary...

***Salem Day Trip***

Time: Meet in hotel lobby @ 11:00 a.m. / Depart 11:00 a.m. (train departs at 12:15 p.m.)
   Return: Last train departs Salem @ 10:38 p.m.

Witchcraft Tour (1 hour) – 2pm - $5.00 per person
Ghost Hunt Tour (75 minutes) – $5.00 per person

Of course, I should probably change this to meet in the hotel lobby at 10.am. Some may want to take advantage of the brunch at Fritz before heading to Salem.
I need some details as I'm putting my itinerary together (mostly devoted to eating lobster and fresh seafood!)....so I must ask what is the assigned spot where AMG members gather as group for the Salem Trip (likely, The Chandler) but most importantly, what time do we head out for the MBTA station? Perhaps, it's in another thread that I've missed?

Mike

Offline mjmel

« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2009, 07:38:37 pm »
Thanks.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.