Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:18:56 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 373
Total: 374

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Movie Recommendations  (Read 41466 times)

Offline Texan38

Movie Recommendations
« on: May 27, 2009, 06:16:35 pm »
I enjoy watching (ok, buying) movies that are unusual to say the least - something...different. I've seen some movies that I had read about on the internet and which I enjoyed like the Chinese films 'Lust, Caution', 'Audition' and the one that was so freakishly weird, it boggled my mind - 'GOZU'.
I saw a French film that actually made me look away during some brutal scenes - 'Irreversible'.  Another movie that made me flinch was a German movie called 'Cannibal'.  I liked the sexy Spanish film 'Y Tu Mama Tambien'.  I thought I would like the vampire Swedish film 'Let The Right One In' but I didn't care to much for it.

So I was wondering, has anyone else seen and recommend a movie or movies that may not have been a blockbuster but more of an Indy film in which you surprisingly enjoyed? Or a film that just shocked you?
In Hollywood an equitable divorce settlement means each party getting fifty per cent of publicity.
~ Lauren Bacall

Offline Oceanbeach

Re: Movie Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 07:43:53 pm »
In The Mystery of the Orgasm WR, a beautiful blond girl stands outside her apartment while a large crowd roars with appreciation and cheers as she tells all why she likes to fuck. (she goes inside)

Meanwhile, a big man crashes through her paper walls and they fuck.  She and her friends go see a famous ice skater, she goes backstage after the performance.  She and the famous ice skater go for a walk in the snow.  They fuck... As he finishes fucking her, he takes his skate and uses it to cut off her head.

In the next scene, her dead body is on the exam table and her severed head is on a tray next to her body.  Her eyes open and she starts talking and explains how she does not blame him for killing her because she was such a good fuck and he could not help himself.  This film had English subtitles.  I have never seen Beverly Hills Chichuahua.  ;D  Have the best day
Michael
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 07:45:35 pm by Sonomabeach »

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 08:59:26 pm »
I saw Sin Nombre last week and it was very good -- but if you want a "feel good" then it's not for you at all.  Speaking of Y Tu Mama I'm going to see Rudi y Cursi next week and it also stars Gael Garcia Bernal and Diego Luna (double swoon).  Actually both of them were also executive producers on Sin Nombre.

http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer/sin-nombre/trailer

http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer/rudo-y-cursi/trailer
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Texan38

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 10:27:51 pm »
 :D
Oh, Michael, that sounds so freakishly...interesting! I gotta have it now!

Hmm, Sin Nombre. Not a feel good movie? Well, that also got my interest, thanks Miss Philicia! I've been reading good reviews about Rudi y Cursi , wonder if there will be any kissing scenes between the two of them.  ::)
In Hollywood an equitable divorce settlement means each party getting fifty per cent of publicity.
~ Lauren Bacall

Offline positivmat

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 11:06:59 pm »
"Goodbye Solo" was excellent. Senegalese taxi driver drives older Southern man around in the New South (not the one I grew up in - but the one that apparently exists these days). Very good I thought.
Will look out for the other recommendations.

Matt

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 12:06:50 am »
In Die Duv, a Bergman short film, man challenges death to a game of badminton.  The film is a dream sequence beginning in a chauffered car and with Death and a a topless blond girl.  The film ends in a private out house looking building where the man is stroking a carved dove with a sigh of relief.  There was a later version called Der Duv which was a Coke commercial.  I am not going to see Marley & Me   ;D  Have the best day
Michael

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2009, 01:47:29 am »
If you haven't seen it, then it sounds like you'd like a Korean film I saw a few years back called OldBoy.

A man is kidnapped and held prisoner for 15yrs then he is suddenly released and given clothes, money and a cellphone.  He has 5 days to find out why and seek revenge and he learns that his kidnappers have even worse plans still instore for him.

It won the Grand Prize at Cannes in 2004.

Here's a preview from IMDB.  There is a commerical before the clip starts.

http://www.imdb.com/rg/VIDEO_PLAY/LINK//video/screenplay/vi3130917145/
It is not the arrival that matters.  It is the journey along the way. -- Michel Montaigne

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2009, 04:10:29 am »
I liked Old Boy.
The best film I have seen this year is A Star is Born, long uncut version with Judy Garland. Never saw that film before, imagine. If you haven't seen it.... its incredible.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Texan38

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2009, 03:57:48 pm »
Hey, thanks guys! I have some movie shopping to do this weekend now.  'Goodbye Solo', 'OldBoy', 'Die Duv' and I've never seen 'A Star Is Born', I'll also be looking out for that one to.

I appreciate the recommendations, thanks again!

Oh and Michael, I'm sensing you're not to fond of dog movies?  ;)
~ Lauren Bacall

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2009, 06:40:24 pm »
Oh and Michael, I'm sensing you're not to fond of dog movies?  ;)

Actually Mark, it has been said the average American IQ is only 98.  The Taco Bell commercial featuring the Chihuahua, the beer advertising featuring the pit bull and most movies with a canine star create a temporary insterest in dog breeds, while irresponsible breeders fill the temporary need for such breeds, resulting in unwanted animals being left in animal shelters because someone saw Beverly Hills Chihuahua or Marley & Me.  These types of films and anything starring Adam Sandler or Robert Duvall (for their political contributions) are films I will not pay to see.   ;D  Have the best day
Michael

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2009, 09:11:18 pm »
I'm currently watching this:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0227277/

Eduardo Noriega is one of the world's sexiest men.

Offline antibody

• "every man thinks his burden is the heaviest"
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2009, 10:37:21 pm »
"Walk Hard the Dewey Cox Story" A must see!
Timbuk      <50/ 794  CD4 10/06 
                 <50/ 1096 CD4 3/07
                 <40/ 1854 CD4 4/09

Started Atripla  7/14/06
Switched to boosted Reyataz Truvada 3/28/07

*Ask me about Medical Marijuana and how it can help you!*

Offline Gary85741

• Native Virginian living in Tucson AZ
    • Good guy, good heart
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2009, 10:19:21 am »

I'm generally more into "old" movies (meaning 1950s, 1960s.)  Personally, my all-time favorite movie is "I Want to Live!" 1958, starring Susan Hayward, for which she won an Academy Award.  It is based on the life of Barbara Graham, who was executed at San Quentin in 1955.  She had a long-time criminal record--prostitution, perjury, robbery, etc.  Then she is charged, along with her two male cohorts, of the murder of "crippled Burbank widow."  She is convicted of the murder and given the death penalty.  She maintains her innocence throughout the ongoing legal maneuvers to save her life.  They ultimately are unsuccessful.  It is a powerful film and I highly recommend it if you've not seen it.  It is on DVD.

As a footnote, Susan Hayward researched the Graham case before deciding to accept the role.  As a result of her research, she believed Barbara Graham was actually guilty of the murder for which she was executed.

Gary   
Poz since '89. 
Current regimen: Rescriptor, Emtriva, Kaletra, Invirase, Acyclovir, Lisinopril, Lipitor, Prilosec, Valium, Testim, Nandrolone, Loperamidr, Marinol.

Offline Texan38

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2009, 04:45:05 pm »
Ooooo, THANX for those pix!

I just bought 'The Women' with Joan Crawford a couple of days ago. I'm going to watch it this weekend after I do my movie shopping!

And Miss Philicia,   :o  :P - yumm!
~ Lauren Bacall

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2009, 05:49:40 pm »
I have also decided that I am in love with Ryan Gosling.

Offline positivmat

« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2009, 09:12:03 pm »
Ditto to Miss Philicia's love for Ryan Gosling. "Half Nelson" was a favorite of mine.

Offline Cliff

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2009, 10:39:47 am »
Yes, loved half nelson and Ryan!  Had dreams about him for a few weeks after that.  Trying to save him from coke and all.

Offline mecch

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2009, 02:53:33 pm »
James Franco is delice in Pineapple Express (pretty funny) and Milk. He'll be Allen Ginsburg soon in Howl.

You want a list of super weird movies? Name a genre that appeals to you and I'll suggest...
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline positivmat

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2009, 04:48:04 pm »
I like "kill yourself sad". Love that ending scene in "Plenty" when Meryl Streep goes back in time and is swirling around in fields of lavender after WWII saying "There will be days and days like this forever and ever". You've just watched the rest of her life and you think: No, Meryl kill yourself now because this is the best day in your life and it steadily declines from here over the next few decades.

Sophie's Choice was another good one. Better than Plenty anyway.

Offline Merlin

• As My WILL, So MOTE It Be !
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2009, 02:26:05 am »
I love old movies. They possess more depth and sincerity. One of my favorites, star, Ole blue eyes, in "The Miracle Of The Bells"-1948 classic. Story on how faith moves mountains. :)

Another one:

"Imitation of Life" is the bitter sweet story of a black maid struggling with her light skin daughter who wanted to pass as white. The story begins in post WWII NYC when Lana Turner (in the role of a struggling actress) hires the maid to work for and live with Turner and her then 7 year old daughter (same age as the maid's little girl). Times are tough at first, but the 4-some gets on fine. Only little Sarah Jane (the maid's daughter) has constant trouble accepting her color.

The story spans about 15 years and shows various instances where the loving black maid is humiliated by her daughter who in the end disowns her mother. The ending is the ultimate heartbreaker; the film deserves 5 stars for that alone!

« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 02:54:55 am by Merlin »
I'll leave Hatred to those not strong enough to Love.

+++

Believe & The Power Of The Mind Transforms.
Make It Happen...

+++

I blame them for nothing.
I forgive them for everything.

---->> Mary J. Blige on dysfuctional parents

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2009, 03:24:56 am »
The original of The Women has the BEST one liners.

I Want to Live!!!  I loved that movie, what an emotional roller coaster!
It is not the arrival that matters.  It is the journey along the way. -- Michel Montaigne

Offline mecch

« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2009, 06:52:23 am »
The 1959 Imitation of Life was directed by Douglas Sirk.  Very interesting movie because it works on many levels.  The 1934 version with Claudette Colbert was also terrific.

Douglas Sirk was a great director. All his American movies show very good psychological insight about the characters, and say a lot about Amercian culture, and also fulfil Hollywood requirements to be gorgeous.  Plus, you often get the young Rock Hudson - so... look Sirk up at Netflicks or on IMDB and go to town.

Offline Texan38

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2009, 04:55:08 pm »
OOHH, Ryan Gosling.  I fell in love with his character in 'Lars And The Real Girl'.  

Well, I saw 'The Women', some of the dialogue was so fast between the characters sometimes I couldn't understand what they were saying! There was some fast talking in that movie.
I found and bought 'OldBoy', now that one was interesting. I liked it.
There was another movie I saw - I almost bought it but then I put it back - 'Itchy the Killer' I think that's what it was called.  I only noticed it because on the DVD it said it was from the director of 'Audition'.

I also saw 'Funny Games' with Naomi Watts...I think I liked it.  It frustrated the hell out me! It's about two preppy looking guys who randomly select a family and torture them. I actually yelled out "DO SOMETHING! KICK, SCREAM, SCRATCH! DO  S O M E THINNGG!" That's a good sign that I was very into the movie.  :D

'Imitation of Life' sounds interesting. 'Kill Yourself Sad', the title alone got my attention!  I recently saw in the internet there's going to be a documentary that is going to be released in New York and L.A. called 'Sex Positive' about the life and works of Richard Berkowitz (?).  Apparently he was a hustler practically his whole life then began talking about the practices of safe sex in the gay communities back in the 80's.
~ Lauren Bacall

Offline jcelvis

« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2009, 01:29:30 am »
I thought Wristcutters: A Love Story was very cute. It star Patrick Fugit who was in Almost Famous. It's a romantic comedy.

Into the Wild was absolutely fantastic, loved it. Good movie if you're a wanna be free spirit

El Espinazo del Diablo is directed by the same guy who directed Pan's Labyrinth. Great story telling from a Spanish direcot

Sophie Scholl: Die Letzten Tage is a WWII film, very sad. German film about Nazi Germany
Change the way you view the world, and the world around you changes.

Offline Texan38

« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2009, 11:34:37 am »
Thanks for all the recommendations everyone! I now have a list I carry when I go Best Buy or FYE.

I enjoyed 'Pan's Labyrinth' so I'll certainly keep an eye out for 'El Espinazo del Diablo' - some more movies to add to my list - thanks!
~ Lauren Bacall

Offline david25luvit

• Member since March 2005
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2009, 12:59:57 pm »
I've seen some interesting movies lately...  this morning I watched "Caddilac Records" which was surprising good.  Also "The International" was good ( a bit violent but with a good story) and oddly enough I enjoyed seeing "Valkyrie" with Tom Cruise.  Being somewhat of a trekkie, I loved the new "Star Trek" movie and of course "Angels & Demons" with Tom Hanks.

The new Sherlock Holmes movie coming out looks like its going to be good....as well as "The Art of Being Straight"  Of course the new John Dillinger movie with Johnny Depp looks like a must see flick too....especially if you like Johnny Depp or gangster movies.
In Memory of
Raymond David McRae III
Nov. 25, 1972- Oct. 15, 2004
I miss him terribly..........

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2009, 03:14:45 pm »
So, last night I re-watched "A Room with a View" on cable, probably for the first time in a decade or more and delighted at the sight of Julian Sands perfect buttocks along with the full frontal nudity of a young Rupert Graves.

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2009, 10:32:32 pm »
Since this seems to be the next movie thread, i'll bite. I finally saw the Benjamin Buttons movie. It was different, I liked it. Not really wanting to see Hangover but do want to see the new Wayans movie. Land of the Lost looks like it may be funny too. I remember the series from back in the day. I saw Stardust which I thought was cute.

Has anyone seen Drag Me to Hell? I just love my horror movies and that one looks promising. The new Transformer movie looks like it is going to be good too. Am also wanting to see Public Enemies with Johnny Depp
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline GNYC09

« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2009, 11:13:38 pm »
Tonight I saw "Cat People" - the 1942 version - it rocked!  I recommend it. 
Another great film is "Aventurera" (1950)--Mexican film noir at it's best.  Lots of over the top drama!
On the flip side, "There's Something About Mary" is still "a pisser".  ;D

Offline Texan38

« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2009, 10:53:04 pm »
I keep hearing good things about 'Valkyrie' but it still sort a kinda not really gets my interest.  I have to find 'Cat People', I've always wanted to see the original.  I liked 'The Curious Case of Benjamin Button'.  Brad Pitt did such a good job.
There's a Mexican movie I absolutely love, 'Like Water for Chocolate', that's a good movie.  I saw a movie today called 'TimeCrimes' - very interesting concept.  It's a little difficult to explain but it involves time travelling and a man trying to stop himself from a crime he thinks he commits.  I know, a little confusing but a very well made movie.  I also saw 'He's Just Not That Into You' - eh, it was alright.
If you guys want a fun movie that reminds you of the experimental college years (even if you didn't go to college, still worth seeing) I highly recommend one of my favorite movies 'Threesome' - boy likes girl, girl likes closet homosexual who in turn likes boy who likes girl. Silly fun!
~ Lauren Bacall

Offline bear60

« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2009, 11:55:47 am »
Don't know if this one has been recommended but: SORDID LIVES with Beau Bridges, Delta Burke and a cast of fabulous women....is a real camp .  Takes place in TEXAS!
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline CaptCarl

• Located in the Palinsville subdivision, JesusLand
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2009, 07:09:00 pm »
Don't know if this one has been recommended but: SORDID LIVES with Beau Bridges, Delta Burke and a cast of fabulous women....is a real camp .  Takes place in TEXAS!

Bear,
   I'm in complete agreement with you on this one. Olivia Newton-John with bleached out hair and out on parole was great.

A recommendation I have is Burn After Reading From the Cohen Brothers. It features George Clooney, Tilda Swinton, Brad Pitt, Frances McDormand, and John Malkovitch. Funny and brutal at the same time. Clooney is hilarious...

CaptCarl
The only thing I can do straight is shoot..

Offline CaptCarl

« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2009, 09:47:45 pm »
Forgot to add 2 other faves:

Eating Raoul One of the most fun movies ever made. Mary Woronov at her B-movie best

The Parents Randy Quaid is great in this one.

Son: "But what were they before they were leftovers?"
  Father: "Leftovers to be"

Both movies are pretty hard to find, but worth the search. Enjoy...

CaptCarl

Offline Merlin

• As My WILL, So MOTE It Be !
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2009, 08:17:24 am »
And if anyone who hasn't already seen the gay themed classic, Torch Song Trilogy, please do. Truly a masterpiece class act with loads of big stars in it.
Its nemesis is, Cruising, starring Al Pacino. Very dark but nonetheless, it was exciting. They have it on DVD now.

Enjoy! ;)
I'll leave Hatred to those not strong enough to Love.

+++

Believe & The Power Of The Mind Transforms.
Make It Happen...

+++

I blame them for nothing.
I forgive them for everything.

---->> Mary J. Blige on dysfuctional parents

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2009, 10:55:02 am »
I re-watched Gattaca last night.  Such a good film and Ethan Hawke looks so delicious in this one (before he morphed into what looks like a junkie), with a worked out tight body and his extremely chiseled facial features. Plus Uma looks fierce, and there's the supporting role with Gore Vidal.  Plus the story line handles the themes of social discrimination and personality perfection, etc., deftly and creatively.  Plus it's a science fiction that is less "adventure" crap like Star Trek and more thought provoking like Bladerunner.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2009, 06:29:14 pm »
Of the newer movies, I highly recommend 'The Reader' and 'The Wrestler.'  Both keep the viewer engaged throughout.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline bear60

« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2009, 10:57:59 am »
Betty
Kurt and I watched "The Reader"  last night...very good movie. Very " deep".

Joel
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline david25luvit

• Member since March 2005
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2009, 11:51:59 am »
Very sad if you ask me but then it was that time right after Hitler.....
The Women was good....Benjamin Buttons was just bizarre...
Room With A View is a classic....and Sordid Lives....well it was just silly and campy. 

Crusing....well the book was much better.
In Memory of
Raymond David McRae III
Nov. 25, 1972- Oct. 15, 2004
I miss him terribly..........

Offline decayingsinner

« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2009, 08:29:54 pm »
I just saw the movie "Taken" last week and was floored. From almost the beginning to the end I was hooked.

Offline minismom

• Quocumque jeceris stabit
« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2009, 07:24:54 am »
We watched "Taken" 2 days ago and really liked it.  Last night, we watched "Grand Torino" - what an amazing movie!  Not the shoot-em up Eastwood movie I was expecting, but a wonderful movie that had a bit of everything.
www.watoto.com
www.MotherBearProject.org
"Whichever way you throw me, i will stand"
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today...it's already tomorrow in Australia"  Charles Schultz

Offline Texan38

« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2009, 04:26:26 pm »
'Taken' is very good.  I also liked 'Grand Torino', that movie was a nice surprise.  I just finished watching 'Revolutionary Road', I thought Kate Winslet was great in that movie although I have to admit, I was trying hard not to fall asleep. Another movie I saw was 'Friday the 13th' - eh, it was ok but I wouldn't recommend it.

~ Lauren Bacall

Offline decayingsinner

« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2009, 06:45:13 pm »
Another movie I saw was 'Friday the 13th' - eh, it was ok but I wouldn't recommend it.

I'm a sucker for slasher films.

Offline minismom

• Quocumque jeceris stabit
« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2009, 11:49:15 pm »
Ran to the video store today to get something for a family movie night (think 6 kids ages 5 to 12, mum, and dad).  Although it pained me deeply, I went with the ever popular "Highschool Musical 3".  Yes, I know.  Figured if I survived the first 2, I would certainly be able to make it through the 3rd.  In all honesty, it wasn't a bad movie.  I wonder if this is how my parents felt when I tortured them with the entire "Grease" franchize.  Every generation has one, I guess.

Mum
www.watoto.com
www.MotherBearProject.org
"Whichever way you throw me, i will stand"
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today...it's already tomorrow in Australia"  Charles Schultz

Offline CaptCarl

« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2009, 09:18:38 pm »
I've always had a thing for horror movies, especially funny horror movies. Zombie flicks are my all-time favorites of the horror genre. With this in mind, I humbly recommend the following for those of you who are like-minded:
      Shaun of The Dead  Slackers versus zombies in a bar. Loads of fun

Fido  Just like a Lassie movie, except Lassie is a zombie. What could be more wholesome than a Boy and his Zombie?

CaptCarl

Offline Texan38

« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2009, 03:16:26 pm »
Fido  Just like a Lassie movie, except Lassie is a zombie. What could be more wholesome than a Boy and his Zombie?

:o  That sounds so interesting!  I love it!  There's a Horror/Suspense movie I really enjoyed called 'High Tension' - definitely recommend that one.
~ Lauren Bacall

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2009, 05:24:08 am »
I signed up for DirectTv and got all those HBO, Showtime and other movie channels.  I have noticed from playing with the remote, there are a lot of Arnold Schwartzenegger movies and since as Governor, his budget is cutting out Medi-Cal services, cutting the State Department of Health, Office of AIDS by $55.5 million and closing 220 state parks.  The fair thing to do is for him to resign as Governor of California.   ;D  Have the best day
Michael

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2009, 10:33:45 pm »
Dr. Stangelove just began on TCM.

Offline mecch

« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2009, 09:45:38 pm »
The Mystery of Rampo

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110943/

http://www.gotterdammerung.org/film/reviews/m/mystery-of-rampo.html

I saw this movie in a cinema on a big screen and I was tripping on acid. Breathtaking mind and body experience.

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2009, 11:31:32 am »
I thought Gran Torino was fantastic.  For slasher films, "My Bloody Valentine 3D" is a must-see. (with the 3-D glasses, of course).   I was also disappointed in "Let the Right One In"; "30 Days of Night" is a great vampire film....

I've been trying to get a lot of old movies that I remember from my childhood, from blockbuster online; last week, I had "Charlie Chan: The Scarlet Clue".   I have NO IDEA why it was called that, there was no clue in it that was scarlet....  I have often wondered why no one has attempted a 'remake' of the Charlie Chan movies....they were very racially offensive and had some ridiculous stereotypes, but still fun to watch....

I love all of Bette Davis's films, especially "The Letter".    Baby Jane and Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte are practically gay cult classics, and a lot of fun to watch.   In Baby Jane, Bette's daughter B.D. Hymen plays the neighbor's daughter.....she was terrible in this bit part.

Joan Crawford's "butch" glamour is fun to see in "Johnny Guitar"....

Also, a very cute movie that I really enjoyed is "Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day", with Frances McDormand and Amy Adams...
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 11:33:26 am by AlanBama »
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline CaptCarl

« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2009, 09:48:11 pm »
Alan,
   I love Frances McDormand and will have to look for that one. Another movie she was in that I really liked was The Man Who Wasn't There with Billy Bob Thorton. A really interesting movie done in black and white. A bit gritty, but very much worth the watch.

CaptCarl

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.