Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:27:54 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 358
Total: 360

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: HIV Vaccine on horizon  (Read 11411 times)

Offline socalpoz

HIV Vaccine on horizon
« on: September 05, 2013, 10:10:28 am »
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 10:24:16 am by socalpoz »
Diagnosed Jan. 22, 2011
feb/11 cd4 547, cd4% 37, vl 527
mar/11 cd4 650, cd4% 37, vl 97
may/11 cd4 698, cd4% 37, vl 303
jul/11 cd4 744, cd4% 39, vl 239
aug/12 cd4 675, cd4% 39, Vl 42
Jun/13 cd4 594, cd4% 38, Vl 1860
Jul/3/13 started Stribild
Aug/13 cd4 758 cd4% 43, vl ??

Offline aaware72

New HIV Vaccine Proves Successful In Phase 1 Human Trial
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 11:14:18 am »
Sumagen Canada Inc. and Western University of Ontario announced today. The vaccine, which was developed by Dr. Chil-Yong Kang and his team, is the first genetically modified, whole-killed vaccine to be approved for testing in humans.

“We are now prepared to take the next steps towards Phase 2 and Phase 3 clinical trials,” stated Jung-Gee Cho, the CEO of Sumagen Co. Ltd., in a press release. “We are opening the gate to pharmaceutical companies, government, and charity organization for collaboration to be one step closer to the first commercialized HIV vaccine."

http://www.medicaldaily.com/new-hiv-vaccine-proves-successful-phase-1-human-trial-255439
"Yes, knowledge is power. Self-knowledge brings mastery of one's body."

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: New HIV Vaccine Proves Successful In Phase 1 Human Trial
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 11:18:11 am »
Some one beat you to it , although this is a better forum for it . I will merge them together .
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 02:11:52 pm by Jeff G »
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline buginme2

Re: HIV Vaccine on horizon
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 11:31:57 am »
"HIV Vaccine on horizon"

That's a rather liberal use of the word horizon. They just finished a phase 1 study showing its safe.  They still need to complete phase 2 and 3 studies and actually prove that it works.  That's quite a high bar to pass. 
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline aaware72

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 11:54:49 am »
Hey Jeff it wasn't about being first to post. 

You know I had a conversation with my ASO director the other day about their fund raising goals.  I was asking how I could put in cash and check donations on my fundraising page.  She jump to the conclusion that I was looking  to recognized for my efforts.  I had to stop her and say no, no, no... I want to recognize those people who supported myself in helping me help others. 

At least I started this thread in the other forum as it may offer a glimpse of hope.  Some times that is all people have to hold onto is hope.  Maybe the other poster should added a "?" mark on their tile, However I will point out that we already have negativity in this thread and it makes me sad. 

"And so we remained till the red of the dawn began to fall through the snow gloom. I was desolate and afraid, and full of woe and terror. But when that beautiful sun began to climb the horizon life was to me again-Bram Stoker"

"A dream is the bearer of a new possibility, the enlarged horizon, the great hope-Howard Thurman"
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 12:04:38 pm by aaware72 »

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 12:00:46 pm »
Negativity in this thread , Where ?
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline SANJUANDUDE

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2013, 12:04:39 pm »
I have also thought about discontinuing medication, since I go through moods and depression.
10/2011-CD-4-598-Undetectable
01/2012-CD-4-758-Undetectable
04/2012-CD$-780-70 Viral Load
08-2012-CD4-846--20 viral load
02/2013-CD$ 865----20 Undetectable Viral Load
08/2013- CD4-898----<20 undetectable viral load

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2013, 01:44:52 pm »
Negativity in this thread , Where ?

"HIV Vaccine on horizon"

That's a rather liberal use of the word horizon. They just finished a phase 1 study showing its safe.  They still need to complete phase 2 and 3 studies and actually prove that it works.  That's quite a high bar to pass. 

...At least I started this thread in the other forum as it may offer a glimpse of hope.  Some times that is all people have to hold onto is hope.  Maybe the other poster should added a "?" mark on their tile, However I will point out that we already have negativity in this thread and it makes me sad. 

Hey aaware72,

Bug mentioning that the vaccine has not completed phase 2 and 3 studies, is not negativity, just reality.

Joe
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 01:48:53 pm by killfoile »

Offline aaware72

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2013, 02:13:21 pm »
Hey aaware72,

Bug mentioning that the vaccine has not completed phase 2 and 3 studies, is not negativity, just reality.

Joe

Hey Joe,

I will admit that for the most part all of this subject matter is new to me and I'm trying to absorb and filter through it all and what it means. 

I understand there is still other phases to go and lets hope for the best.  Have there been other studies and research that have made it this far before?  When I read this about these trials:

"is the first genetically modified, whole-killed vaccine to be approved for testing in humans."

That sounds like a big deal to me.  No?

Offline buginme2

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2013, 03:30:36 pm »
I will admit that for the most part all of this subject matter is new to me and I'm trying to absorb and filter through it all and what it means. 

As someone who is new to all this you need to read past the headlines.  My comment was with the use of the term "HIV Vaccine on the horizon."  That makes it sound like its just around the corner, maybe within a year??  However, that's not the case.  When you read the details you see that this is a phase 1 study which is just determining if the vaccine is safe.  They haven't even started to study if the vaccine actually works.  Thats the hard part.  Phase 2 and 3 studies can take years if not a decade or more.  AND most trials fail in phase 2 or 3.  Thats just reality.  So YES, there is some negativity but its on how these studies are reported in the press.  They are written to make headlines and get people to read them and in many cases they are misleading (and often times end up causing frustration in people with HIV who dont understand the process).

I urge you to learn about HIV research, how its conducted, and what it all means.  Once you do you will quickly learn just how misleading some stories are and who you can and cannot trust when it comes to HIV research.  There is a lot of garbage written about it, but there is also a lot of really interesting and worthwhile work being conducted.   

I am probably one of the most ardent supporters and cheerleaders of HIV research.  There is a lot of great science that is being conducted.  I recently went to a conference about some research into trying to cure HIV sponsored by the NIH.  I'm not trying to put a downer on the story.  Its great that they are trying a different approach in their vaccine and I hope that it succeeds.  Its just not "on the horizon" as the headline makes it appear.

Offline socalpoz

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2013, 06:16:45 pm »
As someone who is new to all this you need to read past the headlines.  My comment was with the use of the term "HIV Vaccine on the horizon."  That makes it sound like its just around the corner, maybe within a year?? 

I will say, I simply used the title of the original article and posted it as an interesting new development. As for horizon I don't believe there is a definition out there that says it is within one year, but I agree that a better title might have been "HIV Vaccine maybe on horizon" I also understand and agree with you on clinical trials. Passing a phase I trial great, but phase II & III  are the real challenges. I would also add that the FDA requires a higher standard of proof of efficacy before approval than what is required in most countries. Lastly I generally think of the glass half full verses, half empty and the optimist in me believes that with all developments in the treatment HIV/AIDS we will see a vaccine in my lifetime.
Diagnosed Jan. 22, 2011

Offline socalpoz

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2013, 06:20:10 pm »
In reading my last post, I think when it comes to our posts maybe we should, at least in research & developments, stick to educating with our posts, verses stating our opinions for those who are new and are trying to filter the facts from fiction.
Diagnosed Jan. 22, 2011

Offline oksikoko

• Writing the congressman again
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2013, 08:18:42 pm »
I thought we cured AIDS last month.
Code: [Select]
2014-11-14: CD4 Wars Episode II: Return of the Stribild (released in Europe as Stribild II: Werewolf Bitch)
2014-11-06:                ☣ VL (→) 12,627      ☣ CD4 (→) 639
2014-??-??: off treatment  ☣ VL (?)              ☣ CD4 (?)
2013-10-03:                ☣ VL (=) undetectable ☣ CD4 (+) 1105
2013-05-23:                ☣ VL (=) undetectable ☣ CD4 (-) 945
2013-02-25:                ☣ VL (-) undetectable ☣ CD4 (+) 1123
2012-12-16: Enter Stribild
2012-11-20: HIV+           ☣ VL (→) 132,683      ☣ CD4 (→) 920
2012-04-01: HIV-
Dates in this signature file conform to ISO 8601. ;-)

If no one complains, nothing will ever change.

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2013, 08:49:05 pm »
Hey Joe,

I understand there is still other phases to go and lets hope for the best.  Have there been other studies and research that have made it this far before?  When I read this about these trials:

"is the first genetically modified, whole-killed vaccine to be approved for testing in humans."

That sounds like a big deal to me.  No?

In a way it is big news, but fruition of this will be at least a decade away.  I don't mean to be testy sometimes, but they have been claiming a cure for HIV for at least three decades.  I think it's great that we promote hope, however that hope must be tempered with reality.  I don't want to mislead folks into thinking that a vaccine is right around the corner.  Sometimes it's really hard to balance the hope with the harsh realities.

Joe

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2013, 08:50:09 pm »
In reading my last post, I think when it comes to our posts maybe we should, at least in research & developments, stick to educating with our posts, verses stating our opinions for those who are new and are trying to filter the facts from fiction.

This ^.

Excellent suggestion.

Joe

Offline Dr.Strangelove

« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2013, 10:36:10 pm »
Hoping not to add any more negativity to this thread  ;D

But I do wonder: Is it a therapeutic vaccine or a preventive one?

That makes quite a difference and I am surprised it is not mentioned in the article (or did I miss it?). Since the volunteers are HIV-positive I assume it's a therapeutic vaccine.

Also...
From the article:
We are opening the gate to pharmaceutical companies, government, and charity organization for collaboration to be one step closer to the first commercialized HIV vaccine.
Reading statements like this doesn't make me happy. As someone in the comments section put it: "This reads more like a desperate call for industrial funding and all the hype is rather saddening"

Still, I hope Phase II and III will be a success!

Offline Dr.Strangelove

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2013, 11:04:45 pm »
Ok, the press release states that it's meant to be a preventive vaccine.

I still wonder why it's tested on HIV+ individuals then?!

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2013, 11:14:27 pm »
Its my understanding that' its a therapeutic vaccine .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline geobee

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2013, 11:15:49 pm »
I think it was tested on HIV+ people since it was a dead, whole virus and they wanted to make sure it wouldn't give you HIV.  I think they figured it couldn't do any harm to people that were already poz.

Still -- it did get people to produce antibodies -- maybe it could be of some benefit to us. 

It seems like a long way off -- but it's a good start.

Offline Dr.Strangelove

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2013, 11:28:48 pm »
Its my understanding that' its a therapeutic vaccine .
That's what I thought at first but the press release says:
Phase I Clinical Trial (SAV CT 01) of the first and only preventative HIV vaccine based on a genetically modified killed whole virus (SAV001-H) has been successfully completed with no adverse effects in all patients

I think it was tested on HIV+ people since it was a dead, whole virus and they wanted to make sure it wouldn't give you HIV.  I think they figured it couldn't do any harm to people that were already poz.

Still -- it did get people to produce antibodies -- maybe it could be of some benefit to us. 

It seems like a long way off -- but it's a good start.
Yeah, that makes sense. And yes, there may be some benefits for us too.
But if this is a preventive vaccine, eventually, they will have to do a large scale trial on HIV negative people - similar to the Thai trial years ago, don't they?
How else could they determine how effective the vaccine will protect people?

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2013, 11:38:36 pm »
Im having problems finding what led me to believe its a therapeutic vaccine but the quote below also leads to me believe that it is a preventative and therapeutic vaccine .

I guess I misunderstood because after further reading I see its preventative only .   

These pseudovirions, carrying many important regions of both internal proteins and external envelope proteins of AIDS virus, will be used to generate the neutralizing antibodies which will prevent the virus infection and also generate cytotoxic T lymphocytes, which are designed to kill and destroy the AIDS virus-infected cells in the body.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 12:20:13 am by Jeff G »
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline xasxas

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2013, 03:04:02 am »
I think preliminary observations hint that it could be useful as both a preventative and therapeutic vaccine as it targets two separate antigens (one that's prominent during new infections and another that's there throughout infection). 

I got that from this article:  http://www.medicaldaily.com/new-hiv-vaccine-proves-successful-phase-1-human-trial-255439

Particularly interesting was this:

After receiving the vaccination, volunteers visited test sites on weeks four, six, 12, 18, 26, and 52 for a general physical examination as well as analysis of clinical chemistry, hematology, and urinalysis. Researchers observed no serious adverse events and also found a surprising boost in antibody production, which may forecast success in Phase 2 trials measuring immune response.

The antibody against p24 capsid antigen increased as much as 64-fold in some vaccinees while the antibody against gp120 surface antigen increased up to eight-fold. P24 is a structural protein that makes up most of the HIV viral core also known as the ‘capsid.’ High levels of p24 are present in the blood serum of newly infected individuals during the short period between infection and seroconversion, making p24 antigen assays useful in diagnosing primary HIV infection. A glycoprotein, gp120, is necessary for attachment to cell surface receptors and also allows for the HIV virus to enter cells.

Offline vaboi

« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2013, 03:19:21 am »
There are so many unanswered questions about this trial.  Were the test subjects on HAART?  What were their viral loads before and after the injections?   Were baselines effected any after receiving the vaccine?   Why don't they give us that information?  It's what is important in knowing if it'd really work as a therapeutic vaccine.  I can only assume that information wasn't provided because it wasn't good news.

Offline Jmarksto

« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2013, 11:34:31 am »
There are so many unanswered questions about this trial.  Were the test subjects on HAART?  What were their viral loads before and after the injections?   Were baselines effected any after receiving the vaccine?   Why don't they give us that information?  It's what is important in knowing if it'd really work as a therapeutic vaccine.  I can only assume that information wasn't provided because it wasn't good news.

vaboi;  That information wasn't provided because this was a Phase 1 study.  The primary objectives of a phase 1 study are to assess the safety and tolerability, which is done on a small group (40 people in this case I believe) and the results are not statistically significant.  While they are looking at the immunological response from the phase 1 study the results are really just a "gut check" to confirm that moving to phase 2 warrants the investment - not to draw any scientific conclusions.  Stay tuned for phase 2 (which will be 3 - 5 years out, if they get funding relatively quickly).

JM

03/15/12 Negative
06/15/12 Positive
07/11/12 CD4 790          VL 4,000
08/06/12 CD4 816/38%   VL 49,300
08/20/12 Started Complera
11/06/12 CD4   819/41% VL 38
02/11/13 CD4   935/41% VL UD
06/06/13 CD4   816/41% VL UD
10/28/13 CD4 1131/45% VL 25
02/25/14 CD4   792/37% VL UD
07/09/14 CD4 1004/39% VL UD
11/03/14 CD4   711/34% VL UD
03/13/15 CD4   833/36% VL UD
04/??/15 Truvada & Tivicay
06/01/15 CD4 1100/50% VL UD
10/16/15 CD4   826/43% VL UD
??/??/2017 Descov & Tivicay
2017 VL UD, CD4 stable around 850
2018 VL UD, CD4 stable around 850

Offline buginme2

« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2013, 12:07:56 pm »
.  Stay tuned for phase 2 (which will be 3 - 5 years out, if they get funding relatively quickly).

Well that doesn't sound on the horizon at all.

This is a preventative vaccine however the researcher does talk about how they are also working on a therapeutic vaccine.   Here is a video of the researcher

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/09/04/aids-hiv-vaccine-western-university_n_3865059.html

Offline buginme2

« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2013, 05:02:34 pm »
Excuse the cut and paste but this article appears in Slate today about this "breakthrough vaccine"

Researchers at Western University in Ontario, Canada, announced today that a newly developed HIV vaccine passed the first phase of clinical trials. That’s extremely good news, of course, but it should still be approached with a healthy dose of caution. The announcement doesn’t mean that scientists have discovered an effective vaccine against HIV—and even if they had, such a tool would be far from a silver bullet in the fight against AIDS.

If Western University’s vaccine actually works, it will, without a doubt, change the face of HIV prevention. A vaccine for the virus has been famously elusive; every trial thus far has failed, some disappointingly, some disastrously. The most effective trial produced a vaccine that’s just 31 percent effective, a figure low enough to make further trials impracticable. The worst, without a doubt, ended just last April, when doctors discovered that their vaccine might increase patients’ risk of contracting the disease.

So a vaccine whose effectiveness matched even, say, that of a flu shot (about 60 percent) would be a big deal. But the effectiveness of Western University’s vaccine remains a giant question mark, as researchers took the relatively unorthodox route of testing their shot on already-infected patients. The trial produced encouraging preliminary results: HIV-positive patients began producing exponentially more antibodies to attack HIV-related antigens. In other words, the vaccine kick-started patients’ immune systems, provoking them to fight back against a virus they would normally succumb to. And it did so without producing any adverse effects. That’s certainly auspicious. But it doesn’t necessarily follow that the vaccine will be as effective in preventing HIV-negative people from acquiring the virus. That question will be tested in the trial’s next phases.

In the meantime, it’s best to remain wary of purported HIV cure-alls. Every few months, doctors and scientists announce a purported cure for HIV: flooding newborns with antiretrovirals, say, or transplanting bone marrow. As a rule, these remedies are limited or one-off—not everyone has the luxury of a bone-marrow transplant, after all—but researchers can’t resist extrapolating upon their implications for the broader population. (How often are we told there will be a cure within months?)

Offline geobee

« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2013, 01:11:04 am »
It'll be interesting to see if neg people sign up for testing this thing.  It seems like a lot to ask -- "hey, we're going to inject you with modified, dead, HIV".  We'll see.

Thanks for posting the video, BugInMe2.  Clearly there's a therapeutic component.  I'd sure like to know more about the people who've already been dosed (were they on meds, did any undergo an STI, etc.)

Offline Dr.Strangelove

« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2013, 02:44:48 pm »
Not only that. If the vaccine works, it also means from then on they'll test positive on a HIV antibody test, doesn't it?
I can imagine many potential volunteers feeling not too comfortable about that thought...

Offline JungleJungle

« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2013, 07:32:50 pm »
Producing antibodies does not prove a vaccine works. Every poz people produces HIV-Ab, still they are not efficents at suppressing virus...i'm wondering how neg people should discover if they are protected by their vaccine :)
You need coolin', baby, I'm not foolin',
I'm gonna send you back to schoolin',
Way down inside honey, you need it,
I'm gonna give you my love,
I'm gonna give you my love.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.