Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:00:38 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 359
Total: 359

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Cholesterol & Red Yeast Rice (vs. Lipitor)  (Read 5246 times)

Offline everflirt

• "Simplicity is complexity resolved."
    • Design Portfolio
Cholesterol & Red Yeast Rice (vs. Lipitor)
« on: November 04, 2007, 12:45:58 am »
Does anyone have experience with Red Yeast Rice -- an herbal supplement that claims to reduce cholesterol? I am on Truvada, Norvir & Lexiva -- my cholesterol levels just came back at 280. My Doctor put me on Lipitor, but I am having side-effects. My mother (who is not HIV+) also has high cholesterol and she had the same side-effects as I am having with Lipitor.

Her cardiologist suggested she try Red Yeast Rice. I asked my Dr. about it, but he isn't sure how it might interact with my HIV regimen. I have only found one thing on line that says Red Yeast Rice may interact with Norvir.

If anyone has any personal experience with Red Yeast Rice, I would be grateful. Thanks!

Offline vokz

• efavirenz junkie
Re: Cholesterol & Red Yeast Rice (vs. Lipitor)
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 03:07:40 am »
From what I remember there are two varieties of red yeast rice available. One is proven to reduce cholesterol and and triglyceride levels (because it contains a naturally occurring statin known as lovastatin), whilst the other has no such effect .. so the first caution is that you would need to make sure that you are getting the right one.

Because the cholesterol lowering variety - which is sold as both a culinary ingredient and a health food supplement - contains a natural statin that is also a registered drug, there are many places where it is actually illegal to sell it as an unregulated product (but where some people will quite happily sell you the ineffectual variety and claim - or leave you to assume - that it has exactly the same health benefits).

The second, and more important, caution (which you have already discovered) is that lovastatin (which, incidentally, is also a natural antiretroviral), is known to interact adversely with Norvir and that, certainly here in the UK, the advice given is that PATIENTS TAKING NORVIR (RITONAVIR) SHOULD NEVER TAKE LOVASTATIN. (http://aidsmap.com/cms1066022.asp)

Edited to add:

Just checking a bit further and it looks like both UK and US guidelines advise against the use of lovastatin in patients taking any PI or NNRTI.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2007, 04:57:27 am by vokz »

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 10:42:33 am »
A while back, my doc put me on Vytorin along with my regimen at the time which included Crixivan.

It caused nasty side effects and nearly a heart attack before I finally went back to the doc and he told me to drop the Vytorin immediately. Vytorin contains Zocor, a statin that interacts with PIs.

Sounds like you are having the same problem.

I found this here at this site under the "Drugs" section.

Cholesterol-lowering drugs, also known as "statins," can interact with Norvir. There are two statins that should not be used with Norvir: ZocorŽ (simvastatin) and MevacorŽ (lovastatin). Levels of these two drugs can become significantly increased in the bloodstream if they are combined with Norvir, which increases the risk of side effects. The two statins that are considered to be the safest in combination with Norvir are PravacholŽ (pravastatin) and LescolŽ (fluvastatin). It is also possible to take Norvir with LipitorŽ, although Norvir can increase the levels of this drug in the bloodstream. If Lipitor is prescribed, it's best to begin treatment with the lowest possible dose of the drug and then increase the dose if necessary. Little is known about the newest statin, CrestorŽ (rosuvastatin), although it is not expected to have any serious drug interactions with Norvir or the other protease inhibitors.

There is much the same warning with Lexiva.

I had never heard of red rice yeast until now, but as Vokz pointed out, it apparently could interact with your PI.

I take 20 mg Pravachol (Pravastatin), and 10 mg Zetia without any ill effect. I also take 4,000 mgs of fish oil a day, which seems to have some beneficial effect on my triglycerides.

You might want to talk to your doc about these or perhaps Crestor or Lescol.

Good luck and let us know how things work out.

HUGS,

Mark
« Last Edit: November 04, 2007, 10:47:32 am by aztecan »
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline everflirt

• "Simplicity is complexity resolved."
    • Design Portfolio
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 12:00:58 pm »
Thank you both for your helpful input. I will definitely steer clear of Red Yeast Rice since it interacts with Norvir. Thanks for taking time to be of help! Michael

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.