Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 03:27:52 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773292
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 677
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 665
Total: 665

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Oral & Glans Contact?  (Read 6561 times)

Offline SunnyFlorida

Oral & Glans Contact?
« on: March 13, 2011, 09:10:59 am »
First off, I would like to say that I really appreciate the total honesty and straightforwardness that the admins here have in this forum. I was looking through the other threads and while I still feel slightly better about my case, my OCD is still going big-time, I cannot stop thinking that I might have been infected. Whatever you tell me, I won't argue and I will get myself tested at the 13 week point. I guess I think it'll make me feel a tad better if I just talk about it, if you know what I mean?

On January 30th, 2011 I went on a date with another man. It went pretty well, we had a great time eating dinner, watching a movie and just talking until 4am the next day. Things got a little heated, eventually we performed fellatio on each other and during masturbation, the glans of our penises touched more than once.

Shortly after that, he informed me that he tested a very light positive with one of the 15-20 minute HIV tests. That worried me greatly. He sent out for an ELISA and Western Blot sometime in the beginning of February. The ELISA came back negative, but the Western Blot was inconclusive. He just sent out for another ELISA/Western Blot a few days ago.

On February 28th, I had a whole battery of STD testing done, and won't get the results until the end of this month. I did take the 15-minute HIV test and it came out negative, but it's still well within the window period. In the meantime... I've been ridiculously sick. During the week of February 21, approx three weeks from initial contact, one of my lymph nodes started swelling and has been hurting, and it's only the node in the right side of my neck, no other lymph nodes are swollen. It comes and goes, usually will hurt for 3-4 days, then dissipate, and then come back. The first week, my doctor gave me a Z-pack thinking it was another case of strep. The second week, I got a shot because another doctor thought it might have been gonorrhea. This week, I didn't get any antibiotics and it went away by itself. It'll probably come back in a few days. Also, I've been exhausted and my mouth has been so dry for the past few days. I have had little appetite as well. I don't know if the exhaustion is due to the stress and worry. I've been checking my body for rashes, monitoring my weight, but I see no difference.

Do you think there's a chance it might have been transmitted to me? I know it's only "theoretically possible" via oral, but what about glans-to-glans contact? Thanks for your time!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 09:12:48 am by SunnyFlorida »

Offline RapidRod

Re: Oral & Glans Contact?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 09:46:15 am »
You never had a risk of contracting HIV. HIV is not transmitted outside its host.

Offline SunnyFlorida

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 09:47:20 am »
You never had a risk of contracting HIV. HIV is not transmitted outside its host.

Thank you... That's exactly what I needed to hear. I feel better now... hugs to you all!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 11:20:22 am »
Sunny,

Your friend's test result indicate he is hiv negative.

But that doesn't actually matter as nothing you two did was a risk for hiv infection.

Here's what you need to know in order to remain hiv negative:

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL sexually transmitted infections together.

To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with an STI. Sex without a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results.

Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline SunnyFlorida

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 11:57:48 am »
Ann,

Thank you! You are absolutely correct. I have not had intercourse in over two years now; the last time I did it was an experience I shared with somebody I loved at the time and I intend on keeping it that way. If I meet somebody new and fall in love with him, then I will do it - protected, of course. I've had regular checkups every six months since last year when I became a bit more "active".

My friend's situation is a bit more confusing... I forgot to mention that he did the quick HIV test last week and it was reactive in a couple minutes so I'm not really sure what's going on with him. However, I'm not worried about myself now that I know I wasn't at risk at all. I've told my friend that whatever happens, if he ends up being positive, or the both of us being positive I will continue to stick by him.

I got myself tested at Project Response, an organization in the East Central Florida area. The people were fantastic and I'm considering volunteering my time with them in order to learn more about HIV/AIDS and help out those in need. There are still so many people who are completely clueless about these things (me included!) so I would really like to help spread the word in my local LGBT community.

This seems like a wonderful community and I'm learning quite a bit from reading the forums on the "other side". Thank you, Ann and RapidRod, for the peace of mind and information you've given me. I was tested for all possible STIs and the results should arrive at the end of this month. I'll let you know what they are when they arrive.

Offline SunnyFlorida

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 11:52:40 pm »
Just wanted to add, it's the end of the day and I feel much better now than I have in days. It seems that most of the "symptoms" I've been having were stress-related - exhaustion, dry mouth and lack of appetite. I just kept psyching myself into thinking that I had a good chance of being infected that my body must have pretty much believed it. After reading this forum and a few others, such as "Living with HIV", "Someone I Care About Has HIV", etc. and hearing what Ann and RapidRod had to say, it's like it just went away. This site is an amazing resource and I'm learning quite a lot about HIV/AIDS and I'm hoping to use that knowledge to help my friend in case his ELISA/WB tests come back positive. Thanks, again!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 08:04:42 am »
Sunny,

Yep, stress can cause all sorts of physical symptoms. We see it here all the time.

Keep up with the regular testing and condom use and you'll be just fine where hiv is concerned.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline SunnyFlorida

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, 09:57:21 am »
My friend got his official ELISA/WB test results today and is conclusively positive for HIV. He will be doing a screening for VL & CD4 soon. As always, I will be there for him for support. I've already told him about this forum.

As for me, I have not gotten retested but I 100% expect to come out of this negative.

Offline SunnyFlorida

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2011, 01:59:39 pm »
Quick update. Got myself tested at the 10 week point to be sure, and it came back negative as expected. I shall not do any further testing until six months from now. Once again, thank you all for your patience and well-informed answers to my questions. I'll be sticking around in support of my friend!

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2011, 02:24:22 pm »
Quick update. Got myself tested at the 10 week point to be sure, and it came back negative as expected. I shall not do any further testing until six months from now. Once again, thank you all for your patience and well-informed answers to my questions. I'll be sticking around in support of my friend!
You didn't have an exposure and don't need further testing. Had you had an exposure 3 months post exposure is conclusive and has been since 2004.

Offline SunnyFlorida

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2011, 02:32:03 pm »
You didn't have an exposure and don't need further testing. Had you had an exposure 3 months post exposure is conclusive and has been since 2004.

Of course, but it's good practice to test myself every six months, isn't it? :) That's what I meant - sorry if I wasn't clear!

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2011, 04:36:16 pm »
If you are sexually active it's a good idea to have a full STD panel done regularly. Other STDs are much easier to acquire than HIV. That means having them done at least annually although if you choose to them every 6 months that's not a bad idea, depending on how active you are sexually.

Ann has clearly explained to you how to protect yourself against the sexual transmission of HIV. It's not complicated. Just make sure condoms are used everytime for vaginal and anal intercourse. It really is that simple.
Andy Velez

Offline SunnyFlorida

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2011, 04:37:34 pm »
If you are sexually active it's a good idea to have a full STD panel done regularly. Other STDs are much easier to acquire than HIV. That means having them done at least annually although if you choose to them every 6 months that's not a bad idea, depending on how active you are sexually.

Ann has clearly explained to you how to protect yourself against the sexual transmission of HIV. It's not complicated. Just make sure condoms are used everytime for vaginal and anal intercourse. It really is that simple.

Yup. Already noted. I got a small supply of condoms just in case, though I'm not really all that active. I've already taken Ann's advice to heart.

Offline SunnyFlorida

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2011, 11:23:47 pm »
Hi, hope you're doing well. Thought I'd give y'all an update. As everyone in this thread said, I definitely did not have a risky situation in terms of HIV, and I now have a concrete diagnosis for my symptoms and illness. At first I thought it was because of an abscess in my tooth causing problems including oral thrush. I was wrong. I was officially diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and secondary Fibromyalgia, caused by my body's abnormal immune response to specific childhood viruses. I tested positive for Epstein-Barr Virus, Cytomegalovirus, Human Herpesvirus-6 and Human Parvovirus B19 where my numbers were at least four times the minimum required for a positive result, with HHV-6 being 13 times the minimum. I'm on Acyclovir now, 400g 4x a day for 5 months to treat it. I'm not quite sure what caused my immune system to crash like that, but it's likely because of all the unnecessary stress I put myself through with this damned HIV "tunnel vision" among other things.

Thank you to everyone on here. Definitely some good people on this site. Listen to them... they know what they're talking about. You guys have a good one!

Signing off for the last time!

~C

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2011, 08:53:20 am »
OK. Good luck with getting your problems cleared up satisfactorily.

Cheers.
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.