Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 10:51:16 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772781
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 328
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 233
Total: 234

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Caffeine even in small amounts causes anxiety sleeplessness Doctor said quit  (Read 28532 times)

Offline bimazek

Caffeine even in small amounts causes anxiety sleeplessness Doctor said quit

this is the best thing the Doctor at big university hiv clinic ever told me and it works

i was having anxiety and anxiety attacks every night and just from two cokes

when i stopped all Caffeine even in small amounts

all my anxiety sleeplessness

went away

there was even an article about it up on the  wall of the exam room

so if you have any mental issues first get all substances out of your life

god knows what cigs will do

i never did pot but

there was a very good scientific american article a few years ago about the brain producing natural canabiliods and how that was  regulator of mood so if you or on med marijuana i would not be against that

even one cup of coffee in AM can cause anxiety all day and even panic attacks at night
true

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
Ya know...that's just swell & all, but at a certain point life just ain't livin' for me.  Give me coffee or give me death.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
my only vices are smoking and drinking Coke.

I gave up the cigs a month ago  ;D

but I will never give up my 2-liter a-day Coke habit.  >:(
(as I told my doc, I'll give up my HIV meds first LOL)

mikie
(who sleeps like a baby every night)
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline DCGUY2007

I didn't know about this. I just started drinking coffee everyday a few years ago. There seems to be so  many different reports about coffee now. I'm starting to wonder what is right.

Offline vokz

• efavirenz junkie
Coffee certainly CAN have those effects; but there are compromises, short of giving up, that you make to eliminate the problems.

Other than giving up smoking, I really haven’t gotten into this idea that all these supposedly ‘bad’ things have to be totally eliminated from my life.

Moderation works fine for me .. and I would be lost without that first cup of strong black coffee first thing in the morning (which, by the way, I have found to be by far and away the most effective way of warding off Truvada headaches).

Offline DCGUY2007

I hope you are right "Vokz". I just started really liking coffee. I hate to give it up. It is almost getting to the point where everything fun is now bad for us. :-[

Offline bear60

I believe for a lot of us caffeine in small doses ( coffee) is a stimulant that in fact relieves the symptoms of anxiety. I know that after my morning coffee I am much more ready to face the world than before.
Its like the kids that get a stimulant for ADHD or something like that.  It helps them focus and overcome the attention deficit.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline a2z

Ya know...that's just swell & all, but at a certain point life just ain't livin' for me.  Give me coffee or give me death.

Amen to that.  Coffee and certain foods are two of my major pleasures in life.

But for some people it's a good idea.
Dates are blood draw dates:
3/12/15: CD4 941, 36.4%, VL UD
9/4/14: CD4 948, 37.9%, VL 150
5/23/14: CD4 895 --.-% VL UD - Truvada/Isentress
09/21/09: CD4 898 27.0% VL 120 - back on track, same meds.High level enzymes, but less so
06/15/09: CD4 478 21.8% VL 1150 - high liver enzymes... looks like I may not be resistant
05/22/09: Fixed insurance, resumed medicine
04/17/09: Ran out of medicine, could not resolve insurance problems
04/01/09: CD4 773 28% VL 120 - high liver enzymes
12/01/08: CD4 514 23% VL 630
10/17/08 started Reyataz, Norvir and Truvada. -- possibly minor neuropathy, but otherwise okay.
9/10/08: CD4 345 17%, VL > 78K
8/18/08: CD4 312 18%, VL > 60K (considering meds)
12/19/07: CD4 550 28% VL > 100K (no meds yet)
Diagnosed 10/23/07

Offline btobaby

give up coffee? no way! one cup with a joint is, sometimes, the only way I get out of bed. lol.
B.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
I drink coffee every morning and at least one diet pepsi during the day.  I don't have any extra anxiety and in fact take a nap every day and sleep well at night.  Well, except for last night, but that could have been because of all the excitement of it being Christmas and all.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline bimazek

the other problem with caffeine is that a tolerance builds up and you need it to just get up
in every big city there is a gay swim team and adult st8t swim team they usually swim at 6am or 7am and again at 6pm, they get the pick me up naturally

my point is alot of people think they are having anxiety attacks or cant sleep and then get on heavy anxiety meds or other psych meds and the whole problem could have been eliminated by just not drinking coffee which causes the mental unbalance

my experience it you peak and then crash just like sugar

and just plain water give 50% of the pick me up with none of the crash withdrawal or dependency

Offline Peter6836

• Me and my Granddaughter Noa
Gee, I have to have my coffee in the morning for that Atripla loop. If I don't I am even falling down at times. I find that it gives me the legs I need to stand on for the day. I do not think I could go without it. One large cup once a day. Besides isnt that why I take the Busprione, prozac, ruspridal,and xanax for, to conteract its affects and fight off that anxiety. (just kidding of course, its not because of the coffee) But still I have to agree that it is one of the things in life I am not giving up, I have given up enough already.
Peter

Offline bear60

Ok. Let me qualify what I said in my previous post in this thread. I suffer from anxiety....which is actually reduced when I drink coffee.
HOWEVER.....I do not drink coffee except in the morning because if I drink it with dinner or after dinner or with dessert ( or anytime after 6PM) it will prevent me from sleeping.
But I really want to say that it is an individual thing and one cannot make generalizations based on ones OWN experience.
So I only speak for myself when I say that coffee helps me with anxiety.
I hope, Bimazek, that you find relief from the sleeplessness.  I totally agree about drinking water and exercise and not drinking coffee at night. But gotta have it in the AM.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
I need coffee in the morning to counteract the effects of the neurontin I have to take every evening for my peripheral neuropathy.  With all due respect, bimazek, as someone not even on meds much less for 15 years your advice isn't necessarily the best course for every HIV-er here, no matter how many times you wish to assert otherwise.

That said, certainly caffeine does contribute for many people their anxiety issues, though I think it only aggravates it, not causes it.  Anxiety is a NATURAL feeling in the body left over from our primordial primate days being chased by tigers, etc.  It's not abnormal for this to become activated in our bodies when we are dealing with a life threatening illness.

As such, I only drink coffee in the morning because of my neurontin intake, and then only drink water the remainder of the day.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
in every big city there is a gay swim team and adult st8t swim team they usually swim at 6am or 7am and again at 6pm, they get the pick me up naturally

Yeah, well...submerging oneself in a huge vat of cold water does tend to perk one up a little.  But so what?  Are you gonna tell me you know first hand that not a one of them had a cup o' joe on the way to the pool in the morning? 
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
I will not give up my caffeine! :D
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

Offline what a life

I am new to all this but I find drinking a sugar free Red Bull in the morning helps with the depression and the fog I seem to get stuck in. I don't know I guess caffeine effects everyone differently. For me I look forward to that Red Bull and I need all the little things to help get though the day at this point.
I keep waiting to wake up from this dream. Why me? The past is history, Tomorrow is unknown and today is the present "a gift"

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
Hey, whatever works.

Offline RapidRod

I drink coffee all the time and any time during the day. The only time a back off is if I'm going to pass a kidney stone. Then it's jugs of cranberry juice. Once the kidney stone is gone it's back to the coffee. I keep Folgers in business. You won't come to my home without there being coffee and a frig full of Pepsi. I even drink coffee in the hospital and with my ID doctor. NO DECAF Please...

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
wanna know how much of a coke-head (as in "cola") I am?  ;D

for the past two years we've held a party/contest for my partner's bday called Pooltag (like the redbull Flutag event sorta). the internet provided me with the info to know that it takes 50 empty 2-liter pop bottles to float 100 lbs. The object of Pooltag? Build a float out of pop bottles and get across the pool. Best skit and design wins!

http://reigningpages.com/pooltag

Needless to say with me drinking a 2-liter bottle of Coke-Cola a day by myself, we've got well over 500 pop bottles stored on the patio right now! That's just how many we've saved up since I moved into my partner's house just over a year ago. I still feel bad about leaving over 450 bottles in the basement of my old house. (My xlandlord was a jerk and deserved the problem though, so I don't feel too bad. LOL) I'm figuring this year all my guests need to do is bring some duct tape over (along with their swim suits), cause there's enough bottles here already to build quite a few floats.

mikie
(who only has the strength and energy to host such a crazy party by drinking all of that cola loaded with the caffeinne  :D )

[attachment deleted by admin]
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline northernguy

I gave up coffee when any hot (or remotely warm)  liquid started making my face flush a bright red.  I hate HIV. :'(
Apr 28/06 cd4 600 vl 10,600 cd% 25
Nov 8/09 cd4 510 vl 49,5000 cd% 16
Jan 16/10 cd4 660 vl 54,309 cd% 16
Feb 17/10 Started Atripla
Mar 7/10 cd4 710 vl 1,076 cd% 21
Apr 18/10 cd4 920 vl 268 cd% 28
Jun 19/10 cd4 450 vl 60 cd% 25
Aug 15/10 cd4 680 vl 205 cd% 27
Apr 3/11 cd4 780 vl <40 cd% 30
Jul 17/11 cd4 960 vl <40 cd%33
April 15/12 cd4 1,010 vl <40 cd% 39
April 20/12 Switched to Viramune + Truvada
Aug 2/12 cd4 1040, vl <40, cd% 38
Oct 19 cd4 1,110 vl <40 cd% 41

Offline joemutt

I gave up coffee because I could not stop after two cups and then I got very nervous and easily upset
and also I took it with sugar and milk and it upset my gums so I thought I just stop
had a headache one day and that was that. i think one cup or so is ok, but I couldnt stop after one cup.

Offline MitchMiller

I found that even small amounts of caffeine (I gave up coffee for tea when I feel I need it)... causes me problems at bedtime.  I already have issues and have noticed that caffeine combined with night-time gym workouts, can affect sleep.
However, one interesting thing I've found that I don't understand is that drinking hot chocolate seems to give me a lift without nearly so many sleep issues.  For me, hot chocolate is what I make in my kitchen from cocoa... no prepacked stuff that 50% sugar.  I use only about a spoonful of sugar for a half-cup of cocoa.  You gotta get used to it because it's bitter... but it not only gives me a caffeine lift, it also elevates my mood without making me feel as nervous as coffee always did.  Those of you that gave up coffee might want to give it a try.  Good ole Hershey's or Nestle's cocoa ... follow the recipe on the container, double the cocoa and dramatically reduce the sugar.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
I can drink a diet Pepsi at 10:00 and be asleep by 11:00.  It's all different for different people.  The cocoa does sound good!

Offline Miss Philicia

I swear I never feel the caffeine from a soda.  Not sure why that is.

Oh, and I just had a delightful double espresso.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
I don't feel the caffeine from soda either, anymore.  I used to when I used to drink 12-packs of Mountain Dew in a day's time. 

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator

because we are addicts and have built up a tolerance.  ;D

"even in small amounts" would only pertain to someone who infrequently or never ingests caffeine. Everyone who drinks coffee, soda, tea, etc, has already been ingesting caffeine and has started to build up a tolerance to that amount.

If you "anxious" and drink 4 cups of coffee a day, cut back to two cups and see the difference ;) oh, and as you cut back or stop ingesting caffeine watch out for the withdrawal symptoms too! That no-caffeine headache is a killer!  :o

mikie
(who starts the day and ends the day with a Coke, and drinks a 2-liter a day as any less brings on that withdrawal-headache. Heck, just going 4 hrs without a soda will bring on that damned headache. LOL)
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.

Oh, and I just had a delightful double espresso.

She says with her "Let's Do Coke!" avatar.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Miss Philicia

That was a good one, no?

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03

Very seldom drink Coffee. Never did like the taste of it. I do like tea though....Hot tea, iced tea, green tea.

As far other beverages go, I always buy the diet and caffeine free soda's, but I still try to stick with the natural fruit juices as much as possible, and I like my apple juice everyday.

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
Yes, that's one of the things I miss being diabetic, is fruit juice.  I suppose there are the reduced sugar fruit juices, but they just don't seem as satisfying.  Of course, that could all be in my head.  I love iced tea, and I used to love sweet tea-another thing I can't partake of anymore.   But I've found a pretty good diet green tea by Turkey Hill that's actually on sale right now at Kroger's.  It's part of their 10 for $10 sale.  I think I'll get a couple.

Offline Miss Philicia

I loathe sweet tea.  It's just nasty.  I prefer my iced tea plain with a wedge of lemon.

Offline chemistry001

• http://www.mygaydar.com/chemistry001
Im an absolute Coffee junkie.
I need several cups a day and just before bed i need a coffee, if i have to go a few hours without, i get the shakes. I never have a problem sleeping although i snore like a wailing banshee with a sore throat.
Diagnosed 01/08/06
CD4-9, VL->500,000, CD4% 1
Started on Sustiva/combivir 22/08/06 changed to kivexa 18/09/06
02/10/06
CD4-50, VL-1496, CD4% 5
04/12/06
CD4-112, VL-125, CD4% 7.5
22/02/07
CD4-121, VL-<50, CD4% 9
29/05/07
CD4-125, VL-71,(re-done 149), CD4% 11
25/09/07
CD4 -231, VL-74, CD4% 15
Cant remember the next few dates
17/01/08  Kaletra and Truvada
CD4 - 281, VL-115
06/03/08
CD4 - 287, VL-178

Offline mjmel

My name is Michael. I am a caffeine addict. I WANT the lift. Coffee always delivers.
 :)
Mike M

Offline Miss Philicia

I'm obsessive with only buying "fair trade" coffee.  This helps support the poor, starving children of farmers in obscure, far away places and hence makes me feel personally better about caring for Heath Ledger mental issues.

It also just better quality.  I scored a bag of sun-dried Ethiopian Yirgacheffe last month and it was divine.  It's also locally roasted.

Offline fearless

Philly,
You should also try Sumatra Mandheling (I think the spelling is correct). It's from GAYOLAND in Sumatra, Indonesia - up near/in the Aceh region where the tsunami hit.
It has a quadruple tick, being "single origin", "fairtrade", "organic" and "shade grown".
It is also makes a nice full bodied coffee.
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline Miss Philicia

Hmmm... generally when I've had any Sumatra I don't find it as exciting as many others.  It always seems a bit obvious.  Ethiopian, which of course is where the coffee bean first originated from, is wonderfully balanced.  The one I was raving about is specifically the Oromia Sundried Yirgacheffe.  I also had some delightful Rwanda "AA" Bufcafe Gkongoro recently.  I've also had excellent coffee from Sulawesi which I know is closer to your neck of the woods :)

Perhaps I've just not found the right one, so I'll jot this down and look for it.  Philadelphia is actually a marvelous city for coffee... I can find most anything.  I see it listed right now at my roasters, specifically the Sumatra Mandeheling Harimau Tiger Triple Picked.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 10:01:43 pm by philly267 »

Offline fearless

Oh, I should thank you for putting me onto this stuff as well. I'd always imagined that it would be incredibly expensive for me as I tend to go through a kg of beans every month or so. You kept going on about the stuff, so I googled to find a local supplier and suss out the price.

It turned out that there was a fair trade wholesaler/retailer about 3 or 4 blocks from my house tucked away in an obscure back lane. Also, it is not that much more expensive than what I was paying at the supermarket ($40 a kg for the free-trade, compared to about $28 for the other). The taste, however, easily compensates for the increased price.

As a card carrying poof, I could not go past a coffee from Gayoland  ;D, and I do like my coffee full bodied. They source their coffee from about 10 different countries. I have to drop in there in the next few days for new supplies so I'll try the Ethiopian this time. They have a small cafe there as well and make the most divine affogato with organic vanilla bean icecream and organic free trrade coffee. It's orgasmic  :P

Offline Miss Philicia

I'd read up on that Ethiopian first -- it may not be for you.  I'd not call it full bodied, but I would call it complex.  You definitely should at least try some, though the sun dried is hard to find.  Plain Yirgacheffe is easy, at least here.

Offline fearless

their website says that the Ethiopian Coffee is from the Sidamo region with a medium to full body with lively citrus flavours. I'll chat to the barista to find out more about and try one to see how it is. sounds interesting though.

my preference for full bodied coffee comes from the fact that most of my mates as a kid had peasant Sicilian backgrounds.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.