Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:05:45 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 517
Total: 518

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Saturday morning walk & other possibilities  (Read 8624 times)

Offline allanq

Saturday morning walk & other possibilities
« on: June 14, 2007, 12:25:20 am »
I plan to lead a group walk on Saturday morning. This will be a good opportunity for everyone to get together and also see a bit of San Francisco.

Here are the details of the walk:

Total distance: approx. 2.5 miles, with only a small uphill stretch to get to Chinatown.

We'll start from the hotel at 10:30 am, and regroup at the statue of Admiral Perry in Union Square. Then we'll head down Maiden Lane to Grant Avenue, passing an interesting small building by a very famous architect. (It's worth taking a look inside.) We'll take a left on Grant Avenue, then go a bit uphill to Chinatown. We'll walk two blocks through Chinatown to Grant and California, then turn right and go down California Street to the Ferry Building, a San Francisco landmark that survived the 1906 earthquake. Up until 1989, an ugly double-decker freeway ran right in front of the Ferry Building and dominated the waterfront. The Loma Prieta earthquake (7.1 on the Richter scale) damaged the highway beyond repair, and it was torn down. The demolition of this eyesore set the stage for a revitalized waterfront for San Francisco.

We'll stop at the Ferry Building to take a break and explore the fancy food shops inside. (There are also public restrooms inside.) Then we'll continue walking along the waterfront to Pier 27, where we'll cross the Embarcadero to visit Levi Strauss Plaza, a very attractive urban park created by the famous maker of jeans. From Levi Strauss Plaza, you'll get a nice view of Telegraph Hill. This is the corporate headquarters for Levi Strauss, and there is an interesting exhibit of jeans dating back to the Gold Rush.

We'll cross back over to the waterfront to continue the walk to Pier 39. Pier 39 is a popular tourist destination with lots of shops and restaurants. It's also home to a colony of sea lions that took up residence in 1990. At first, the merchants wanted the city to get rid of the sea lions because of their noisy barking and strong odor. However, the tourists loved the sea lions, and since they help generate business, the merchants came to love them too. The sea lions are most numerous during the winter, but a bunch of lazy ones seem to stay year round.

-------
Alcatraz

Pier 39 is steps away from the Alcatraz ferry. If you want to visit Alcatraz, this would be a good time to do it. However, it is absolutely necessary to buy Alcatraz ferry tickets in advance. This can be done at the website http://www.alcatrazcruises.com. It's suggested that you choose a sailing after 2 pm in order to have time for the walk and a bite to eat on Pier 39.

If you decide to visit Alcatraz, you'll be doing quite a bit of walking, including an uphill trek from the ferry landing. The tour is self-guided. You get headsets, and the narration is by former guards and prisoners. The sound effects of slamming cell doors are very realistic. You should allow 2½ to 3 hours for this trip. In addition to the prison, there's a nice nature sanctuary on the island that is worth visiting.

-------

To return to the hotel from Pier 39, take the F-Line trolley, which runs colorful vintage streetcars from around the world. You can also stay on the trolley to the end of the line, at  Market and Castro. Weekend afternoons on Castro street are usually very pleasant. There are lots of restaurants, shops, cafes, and bars. Walk a few blocks up Castro Street to Liberty Street, and you'll be treated to a beautiful row of "painted lady" Victorians.

Offline Jerry71

• Biktarvy CD4 637 04-17-18
    • Facebook
Re: Saturday morning walk & other possibilities
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 09:52:09 am »
Allan sounds great but you got to also look there are a few of us that have Neropathy. Also when it comes to walking far distances it can get the feet to aching. One of those great things some of us have to put up with this damn disease.

Offline allanq

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2007, 11:35:55 am »
Hi Jerry,

I was thinking about that. I certainly don't want to create a painful experience for anyone. I was hoping that taking a break at the Ferry Building would help those who have trouble walking long distances.

One alternative would be to take the Muni Metro to the Ferry Building and then meet up with the rest of the group there. (It's two stops from the hotel to the Ferry Building.) This would cut the walk by more than half. From the Ferry Building, the walk to Pier 39 is completely level.

If you have mobility problems, it would not be a good idea to go to Alcatraz, since there is a 130-foot climb from the ferry landing, and the tour itself involves a good deal of walking.

Allan
« Last Edit: June 14, 2007, 11:45:00 am by allanq »

Dan J.

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2007, 01:55:54 pm »
Are there any flea markets, thrift stores or antique malls near the hotel? I collect Russell Wright dishes, 50's, 60's & 70's antiques & collectables to resell on ebay...

& does anyone local know where Minna St is? I have someone I need to try and see while I am in San Francisco. I can't find any phone # info to call this person so I am going to try and "pop in" on him while I am there.

Offline allanq

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2007, 02:29:52 pm »
Dan,

I don't know any thrift shops or antique stores near the hotel. However, there is a stretch of Market Street (near Gough Street) that has several stores that sell vintage pottery and other collectibles. Take the underground Metro two stops (outbound direction) to Van Ness Avenue and walk a few blocks up Market away from downtown. Don't expect to find any bargains when shopping for antiques in San Francisco.

Minna Street is walking distance from the hotel. Just cross Market Street, then continue on 5th Street one block past Mission St. Minna is parallel to Market and Mission and runs 5 long blocks from 4th Street to 9th Street. You can do a mapquest or Google map search from the hotel to the Minna St. address to see how far it is. Use 17 Powell Street for the address of the hotel.

Allan

Offline Robert

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2007, 10:35:06 am »
Hey Jerry....et al

This is great walk.  No need to worry about tiring too easily.  For those of you who can only make it a couple of blocks, there is a Macy's in Union Square that's just fabulous.  The Ferry Building has the trolley cars going up and down Market St up to the Castro.  If the Ferry Building is your dropping off point, then you can take the trolley back to the hotel or on up Castro. 

This will be a lot of fun.  I guarantee it.  Make sure you bring your camera.  Photo Ops galore.

robert

Offline Jerry71

• Biktarvy CD4 637 04-17-18
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2007, 01:11:13 pm »
Hey Im ready for a long walk anyday. Hike, trails and all here in the mountains. Was just thinking about my peers.

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2007, 12:13:08 pm »
I'm planning on leaving my sailboat at Pier 39 in a guest slip.  If anyone feel the need to lie down for awhile, there is room.  Have the best day
Michael

Offline pozattitude

• Enjoy
    • to find out more about me....
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2007, 03:04:40 pm »
For those staying longer or anyone interested in bay area tours this is a good site to check.

http://www.buysanfranciscotours.com/index.html

Rich
POSITIVE PEDALERS... We are a group of people living with HIV/AIDS, eliminating stigma through our positive public example.

Offline allanq

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2007, 12:32:13 pm »
If you're planning to go to Alcatraz after the Saturday morning walk (or any other time during your visit), you should make make ferry reservations soon. This is a popular attraction, and tickets for the ferry often sell out, especially on weekends. Alcatraz itself is free; it's the ferry ride that costs you.

The link for ferry tickets is in the first post in this thread.

Allan

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.