Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:21:25 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 379
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 339
Total: 340

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Unprotected Sex - Swollen Lymph Glands (groin area) - please help  (Read 5384 times)

Offline Paul12345

• Standard
Hi there,

I have only just joined this msg board today as some of the feedback was giving me a slight peace of mind so a lot of credit where credit is due to the people who reply with advice and kind words, I'm looking for some help myself...

On 10th May I was out drunk one night and ended up having sex unprotected with a random girl, the intercourse was viginal and lasted about 5 minutes, I pulled out at the end. I felt no symptoms at all after this happened, I went on holiday from the US to Europe and while there everything was fine so this was about 1 week after. I flew back to the US and slept a few hours, when I got off the flight I instantly felt I had a horrible sore throat but no cough, I presumed this was due to the long flight. The sore throat lasted about 1 week an is now cleared but what I have noticed is swollen Lymph Glands. I have 1 on the right hand side of my neck, just below the jaw line, it's not noticeable but if I run my fingers down I can feel a slight longish lump."I just again presumed this was due to my sore throat?!

The sore throat is gone now but the lymph node is still there, I did some research on google (I know it's wrong but I can't help it) and read other possible locations of lymph nodes so I instantly felt my groin and felt 2 of then on each side, both are quite high up on my groin, almost identical positions and feel like 2 small pea like balls, below one side I can feel 1 or 2 more if I press hard enough, I can't see them just feel them.

As you can imagine I am in a horrible state right now, anxiaty is running wild, I can barely eat any food but I'm putting that down to my nervous state of mind. I want to also add that I have had no other symptoms, no fever, no headache, no stool issues, no rashes. I've for a few raised red spots that look like heat spots but I don't think that's a worry for me. My chest is slightly red like I have a bit of sunburn but no spots or anything.

I've booked an appointment with my doctor for next Wed so that will be 32 days since my night of shame, that will be 4 weeks since my exposure, if anything I think it's to just get something done and put my mind at ease.

I know you get asked this a million times but does the symptoms I have be something I should be worried about? Can I get swollen lymph nodes from another std, can I get them through anxiety?

Any advice or words or wisdom would be greatly appreciated good or bad.

Thanks for your time

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: Unprotected Sex - Swollen Lymph Glands (groin area) - please help
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 11:02:22 am »
Your symptoms are in no way specific to HIV ... so we wont discuss or do you a disservice by guessing whats causing them . You have had a risk for HIV and the only way to know if you are infected is to test at the appropriate time .

The average time to seroconversion is 22 days. Most who are infected will test positive by 6 weeks. For various reasons a small number will take longer and that is why we follow the CDC recommendation to test at 3 months for a conclusive negative result.

The earliest you should test is 6 weeks past any possible exposure and again at 3 months to conform the results . Keep in mind that a 6 week negative test rarely becomes a positive one when you retest at 12 weeks but it still must be confirmed .

Here's what you need to know in order to avoid hiv infection:

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL sexually transmitted infections together.

To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with an STI. Sex without a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results.

Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv. Some of the other STIs can be present with no obvious symptoms, so the only way to know for sure is to test.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Paul12345

• Standard
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 01:27:59 pm »
Hi Jeff,

As ever you have been kind and fast enough to reply to me so I thank you for that!

I know myself I need to get tested to put my mind to ease, I've got an appointment next week so I will go ahead and get a test done, if anything it will take a load of my shoulders, I'm very worried I have HIV. I've never had a reason to feel my groin so I have no idea if I've always has lymph nodes there, I'm guessing not so it's just utterly bizarre that I have unprotected sex and then they appear a few weeks later, this is what is worrying me. I've only had a sore throat and a slight runny nose which both happened as soon as I got off that flight but I know some people don't even get symptoms at all for months and months on end and don't even know they have it.

I'm also slightly worried that the sore throat is gone but the lymph node is not, not sure if that's normal for people! Is it at all possible that due to me being convinced I have HIV that my body is therefor producing things like lymph nodes or is that just nonsense?

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 01:37:33 pm »
We rarely have a people who actually go on to test positive but one thing you guys all have in common is the most horrendous crippling painful Aids any human has ever had to endure .

The good news is that about 20 minutes or less after your negative test result you will make a miraculous recovery and be well again .

You did have a risk but the only thing to do now is to test ... that's the only way forward .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Paul12345

• Standard
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 02:05:41 pm »
Thanks again Jeff!

The final and last question I have if you don't mind, do we always have lymph nodes in our groin area, what I mean by that is that I'm a slim guy so when I stand up, lean back and run my fingers down I can feel the odd pea shaped lymph node, of I was infected/lymph node fighting off the virus would these lymph nodes increase in size?

I was reading a few thing that the lymph nodes are always the size of a pea / longish thing nut and that when the body is fighting a virus for example the nodes will increase in size and once the virus is down they will return to their normal pea shapes size, is this correct?

Just to put my mind at ease Jeff, if you for example run you fingers up and down your groin are you bound to feel a few pea shaped lymphs?

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2014, 02:47:26 pm »
We get these questions allot . Sometime those pea size things and gristle feeling things are not lymph nodes ... they are connective tissue . If you keep putting your fingers in your lymph nodes they will swell leaving you to think there is a problem ... it happens quite often . It takes VERY LITTLE poking to make a lymph node swell and hurt so do not do it .

I have broken one of my biggest rules here and that's discussing symptoms ... its useless to do so and is a guessing game . If you are sick go see a doctor and discuss it with them because they can actually find out whats going on where we cannot .   
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2014, 02:45:23 am »
Paul,

Swollen lymph nodes in the groin can sometimes be the only obvious symptom of having caught one of the other, MUCH more easily transmitted STIs such as chlamydia or gonorrhea.

As you had unprotected intercourse, you also need to check for other STIs - the ones you're MUCH MORE LIKELY to pick up than hiv.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2014, 08:38:08 pm »
Paul . Please only post in this one thread no matter how long between visits or the subject matter . You can find this thread by going to your profile and selecting show own post and it will take you here .

I removed you post from the living with HIV forum . As a person who is not living with HIV you are only allowed to post in this one thread . Thanks .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.