Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:32:19 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773300
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 680
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 612
Total: 612

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: De-Stig campaign  (Read 6289 times)

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
De-Stig campaign
« on: February 20, 2008, 05:11:13 pm »
Hi everyone

I hope the link works, I hate it of course, I didn't get much sleep the nght before and I was up at 6 getting the rooms ready at the conference center, I look old and tired there was no time for make up or a hairdo..damn it. ;) but what the hell,  it wasn't about how I looked it was about getting the message out and that's exactly what we did, I'm so proud of the other ladies and that finally we finally manged to put together something we have been working on for a long time.

http://www.tv3.co.nz/Video/PositivewomenHIVpositive/tabid/372/articleID/46770/cat/84/Default.aspx?articleID=46770

Edited to add..I still feeling a littl exhaudted and have work to do around the paddocks so I will catch up with everything later.
Hugs
Jan :-*
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 05:14:04 pm by anniebc »
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
Re: De-Stig campaign
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 05:27:38 pm »
Hey Jan  ,thanks for the link ,  good story , well done and you look great.... nice of your hubby to include himself in the pic.. gives a nice solid support  tone for the campaign...

Nick
remember the good times...honor the past but don't live there
Le stelle la notte sono grandie luminose, nel cuore profondo del Texas

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 05:46:05 pm »
Congratulations, Jan! Wonderful, wonderful work on your part and the other three women.

Huge cheers to all of you!
Andy Velez

Offline pozguy75

• POZitively Speaking
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 06:20:51 pm »
Jan, that was just wonderful!! You look incredible and the babies, they are so cute! I am so proud of you!
Dx 2005
ATRIPLA

Offline Teresa

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 06:27:04 pm »
Jan,
That was just wonderful! You should be very proud of yourself because we all are very proud of you. You showed true grace, beauty, and dignity. I had hubby watch it and he was very moved by it. He has yet to disclose to his family and it made a huge impact on him.

Thank you so much for doing that!

Big Hugs
Teresa
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06
CD4:320
  %: 26.7
 VL: <20
Atripla (started it 8/24/06)

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 06:35:53 pm »
Wow Jan.  You are so brave!  Good for you and a big {{HUG}} from me!
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008, 06:39:55 pm »
Beautiful. You should be proud.

Wendy

Offline minismom

• Quocumque jeceris stabit
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2008, 06:41:53 pm »
Jan, that was wonderful!  I'm so proud to be able to say that I know you.  I showed hubby and Mini.  Of course, what did Mini comment?  "Hey mom, is that Blackjack or King Elrond?"  :P  Oh, well.

What the 4 of you have been able to accomplish is amazing.  You all should be so proud.

Mum
www.watoto.com
www.MotherBearProject.org
"Whichever way you throw me, i will stand"
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today...it's already tomorrow in Australia"  Charles Schultz

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2008, 07:16:10 pm »
Hi
Thank you all again for your support and your kind words.

My phone hasn't stopped ringing this morning, after the story was told in our Local paper.

I have had nothing but a positive feed back from them all, and everyone of them told me they were proud to have me as a member of their community and lots of offers of help..if I need it.. :D..this is the story that appeared in the paper.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A Southland grandmother who contracted HIV from a contaminated needle while nursing will be one of the faces to front a national HIV destigmatisation campaign this year.

Jan Waddell, of Mataura, was diagnosed with HIV in 2002 after being pricked with a patient's needle while working in Australia.

Mrs Waddell, 60, has been outspoken in the past on the need for education and to raise public awareness about the disease.

She agreed to be in the campaign because she said there was a big need for more education about the HIV virus — the risks, transmission and prevention.

"Unless people hear a voice or see the face of HIV, their misconceptions and the resulting stigma will stay," she said.

The campaign run by Positive Women Inc in the next two months will have Mrs Waddell, along with other's profiles appearing on buses, in women's magazines and websites.

Positive Women's national co-ordinator Jane Bruning said the campaign would challenge the stereotypes by letting the women tell their own stories.

"Many people think HIV won't touch them, that it's a risk confined to specific sectors of our community. We are saying the risk is a lot closer to home,

New Zealanders had become complacent about the risk, she said.

Since antibody testing was introduced in New Zealand in 1985, almost 2500 people have been diagnosed with HIV in New Zealand.

"It takes a lot of courage for her fellow Positive Women members to go public about their status,

"The truth is that those living with HIV in New Zealand today are everyday people leading everyday lives.

"No matter how a person contracts HIV, they shouldn't have to deal with the added burden of stigmatisation on top of chronic health problems."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I hadn't found this place 5 years ago I'm not sure I could have done this..so thanks to all of you who were they for me in the beginning, for your advice, your help and your support.

Love and Hugs to you all.
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2008, 08:00:29 pm »
Hi Jan,

I thought it was a great segment!   It is so nice to see you at home, with Jim and the animals...you are an amazing woman, my dear.   You are a great representative for us all, and I am so proud of you, as well as the other ladies.

much love,

Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline Snowangel

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2008, 08:29:52 pm »
What a great story! Very Inspiring, you and the other women looked beautiful!  Thank you.
Of all the things you wear, your expression is the most important

The heaviest thing you can carry is a grudge..

One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

One thing you can't recycle is wasted time.

Offline Jody

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2008, 09:29:20 pm »
Dear Jan...Great job form a wonderful, great lady...Your community and family should be proud of you, they are all lucky to have you.  Thanks for all you do and thanks for just being you!!!

Love, Jody  :)
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline Longislander

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2008, 11:31:40 pm »
You and the other women should be very proud, Jan!  I'm happy to hear you're getting lots of supporting calls from your community. It was awesome to see you in video with hubby and the babies!! ;D
infected 10/05 diagnosed 12-05
2/06   379/57000                    6/07 372/30500 25%   4/09 640/U/32% 
5/06   ?? /37000                     8/07 491/55000/24%    9/09 913/U/39%
8/06   349/9500 25%              11/07 515/68000/24     2/10 845/U/38%
9/06   507/16,000 30% !          2/08  516/116k/22%    7/10 906/80/39%
12/06 398/29000 26%             Start Atripla 3/08
3/07   402/80,000 29%            4/08  485/undet!/27
4/07   507/35,000 25%            7/08 625/UD/34%
                                                 11/08 684/U/36%

Offline poz1970

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2008, 12:40:09 am »
Well Done Jan!!

Wish we had that campaign here, I think the last one that I noticed here in australia was the one that came out at the same time as philadelphia

Congrats once more, and I hope all the feedback you get is good :-)

J
"The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals and 362 admonishments to  heterosexuals. That doesn`t mean that God doesn`t love heterosexuals. It`s just that they need more supervision." -- Lynn Lavne

Offline sweetasmeli

• Love what you are...
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2008, 04:07:41 am »
Fabulous fabulous fabulous!!! Jan, you truly are an inspiration. And you looked fabulous too. ;)

Big proud hug to you
Debra xxx
/\___/\       /\__/\
(=' . '=)    (=' . '=)
(,,,_ ,,,)/   (,,,_ ,,,)/ Cats rule!

The difference between cats and dogs is that dogs come when called, whereas cats take a message and get back to you.

Yeia kai hara (health and happiness) to everyone!

Offline Iggy

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2008, 03:30:42 pm »
Jan,

I didn't get a chance to post this yesterday, but when I typed "HIV" in Google News - the campaign (along with a thumbnail image of the poster with you in it) came up as the second result.

You really have made an impact.

Congrats!

Offline englishgirl

• ACT NOW TO CAMPAIGN AGAINST THE TRAVEL BAN
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2008, 05:10:01 pm »
awesome. you and everyone else involved should justifiably feel very proud.

also, found this article while browsing links on google news http://www.odt.co.nz/article.php?refid=2008,02,21,4,00400,97db2fb0a44b8e4e14f6698713c22a0c&sect=4 - you have definitely found fame, theyve already started changing your age downwards!

thank you and well done
xxxx
ACT NOW TO CAMPAIGN AGAINST THE TRAVEL BAN:
http://campaigning.tht.org.uk/cms/cmsloader?WfJVLp&view=11,301,1385,0,-html

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=17352.0

"I'm not keen on the idea of the afterlife - not without knowing who else will be there and what the entertainment will be. Personally I'd rather just take a rest." Oscar Berger, PWA: Looking AIDS in the Face, 1996. RIP.

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2008, 09:49:50 pm »
Dearest Jan,

You and the other three women are so cutting edge.  Each year, I get the opportunity to read the current Epidemiology report from Sonoma County and each year, it shows women, mostly married and over 40 to be the highest risk population for new infections in our county.  There is also discussion that the Sonoma County findings mirror national trends.  Thank you for your commitment and for the link to your work.  Have the best day
Michael

Offline Robert

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2008, 01:36:48 am »
Jan....

I'm just so proud of you.  You've heard it all before...but you're wonderful, wonderful, wonderful.

robert

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2008, 04:30:19 am »
I don't know how I managed to miss this thread the other day, Jan. (Foxtrot Charlie on the brain, no doubt! ;D )

Nice to hear your Scottish accent amid all those Kiwis! ;) It looks like this campaign will really make an impact. Kudos to you and the other women too.

After doing the Stephen Fry program, I know how it is to know you're doing the right thing in going public, but still have those little niggling fears at the back of your mind that someone will decide to make your life hell. Thankfully that never materialised for me and it looks like you're getting nothing but positive support as well. YAY!

Way to go, Jan. You've come a long way, baby! ;)

Hugs,
Ann
xxx
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline eirin

• Member since March 2005
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2008, 04:37:27 am »
Dear Jan,

Congratulations, what an amazing job you are doing!

Wish I would dare to be as brave as you!

Big hugs to you &  :-*  :-*  :-*

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2008, 11:52:52 am »
Nice to hear your Scottish accent amid all those Kiwis!

Isn't that the truth Ann?   Jan has a beautiful voice...I could listen to her read the phone book.

;D

"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2008, 01:59:43 pm »
Isn't that the truth Ann?   Jan has a beautiful voice...I could listen to her read the phone book.

;D

I must admit I'm rather partial to a Scottish brogue myself!
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Cliff

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2008, 02:53:40 pm »
Great work Jan!!!  A very nice campaign.  Seeing you, someone I've come to know and love, made me happy (and teary)!  All you women are really brave. 

Offline Erico

« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2008, 03:14:18 pm »
You're a great ambassador for this cause. Proud of you  ;)

Hugs

Eric

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.