Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:12:13 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773225
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 592
Total: 593

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Worrisome Thailand Experience  (Read 4596 times)

Offline hopefullyhealthyguy

Worrisome Thailand Experience
« on: July 24, 2009, 02:51:26 pm »
Thanks, in advance, to all of the moderators on the AidsMeds forums. You're doing such a wonderful job and are helping to quell fears and save lives!

Unlike the some 150,000 Americans a year that travel to Thailand for their world famous sexual exploits, I wasn't there looking for a "good time". However, things get the best of you and you end up in the bed of a Thai girl you've never met and whose sexual history you know nothing about. I recieved protected oral sex from her (including the kissing and licking of the entire genital area) and that was it sexually. Luckily, I was completely sober and tried to take the best precautions I could. No risk.

However, earlier that day, I had shaved my chest, for some time out on the beach, and had a few nicks and cuts on my skin and a small one on my nipple. A little bleeding and irritation (the usual from shaving) but not that much. She kissed and licked my chest all over. If I were in America, I'd brush it off and chock it up to another no-risk situation. However, I've done some reading on South East Asia and understand that there is a predominant subtype there called CRF A/E. From what I gathered, this subtype is very effective at attacking the langerhans cells in the skin that are part of our adaptive immune system. Part of the reason experts, like yourself, say that cuts and nicks are not a risk is that our bodies heal quickly, from the inside out. But if this form of subtype can attack the cells responsible for preventing pathogenic infiltration and there was blood in her saliva, do I need to start worrying about this being a risky activity. I am still waiting back on my nine week results. Hopefully, those will ease my mind.

P.S. Currently, I am working with my doctor towards diagnosing what he believes to be lupus, a chronic inflammatory disease. I'm active and live a healthy lifestyle. Will this effect my test results and lump me in with the 3 percent of people (chemo patients, IV drug users) that require a six month window period?

This is a quote I recieved from thebody.com:

"False-negative HIV test results are not caused by lupus or other autoimmune illnesses. False-positives can be caused by (1) testing in the window period, (2) agammaglobulinemia, (3) rare subtypes (type N or O) or (4) technical or clerical error."

Is this correct?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 02:57:19 pm by hopefullyhealthyguy »

Offline RapidRod

Re: Worrisome Thailand Experience
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 02:58:27 pm »
You were never at risk of contracting HIV in the situation you've provided.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 03:54:44 pm »
You are worrying needlessly about HIV. No guy in the entire history of the epidemic has been confirmed to have been infected through receving a blowjob.

It's safe to say you won't make history by becoming the first.

Whatever is going on with you symptomatically has nothing to do with HIV and there is no need for HIV testing on your part.

Cheers.
Andy Velez

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 03:59:53 pm »
Guy,

You won't end up positive because she licked you either. Not only is saliva not infectious, but it also contains over a dozen different proteins and enzymes that damage hiv and render it unable to infect.

And the only effect lupus may have on your test is to give you a false positive result. This can happen sometimes when there's an underlying auto-immune illness. A Western Blot, which must be run to confirm any positive antibody test, will rule out a false positive caused by auto-immune problems.

But you don't need to test anyway. Nothing you did or had done to you was a risk for hiv infection.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 04:15:01 pm »
Thanks, Rod, Ann, and Andy! So I assume it's safe to assume that all HIV-1 types are created (for the most part) equally and any one type isn't any more infectious than the rest?

If I remember correctly, one of the reasons Ann has given others, in regards to cuts and the like not being a risk when exposed to potential blood in the saliva, is that HIV only infects a certain types of cell. So smalls cuts on the hands, chest, back, etc. aren't really effective means of transmission. But if this certain CRF A/E subtype is particularily effective in infecting Langerhans cells found in the epidermis, wouldn't that make it easier to infect cuts? Or is that only in reference to Langerhans in the mucus membrane of the cervix and urethra? Or, better yet, is this just some ridiculous, unproven theory by scientists trying to explain why HIV is so prevelent in an area of the world where unprotected sex work is so common?

EDIT: Sorry, Ann. I was writing my post while you were also posting. Does saliva render CRF A/E innactive as easily as it does type B?  
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 05:11:56 pm by hopefullyhealthyguy »

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2009, 03:07:20 am »
Ann,

I was unsure of whether or not Andy, Rod and your own replies were only applicable to common type infections in the Western world but, after reading some more responses regarding subtypes, I stumbled upon this quote from yourself:

"If ANY subtype is more easily transmitted, that only means it's more easily transmitted during UNPROTECTED ANAL OR VAGINAL INTERCOURSE. It does not mean it can infect through routes that other subtypes cannot."

I suppose this applies to my situation and the risk (or lack thereof) of kissing, licking, finger, and the like etc. with cuts and small amounts of blood exposure?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2009, 03:31:19 am »
Guy,

Yes, that applies to your situation.

You didn't have a risk. It's time you got on with your life.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2009, 04:42:34 am »
Guy,

Yes, that applies to your situation.

You didn't have a risk. It's time you got on with your life.

Ann

Will do.

Thanks everybody!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.