Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:01:59 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773292
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 670
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 654
Total: 654

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Coenzyme Q10  (Read 8054 times)

Offline BM

Coenzyme Q10
« on: December 29, 2009, 08:52:12 pm »
I've been considering supplementing with this nutrient, which appears to be depleted in us pozzies. I want to try it mainly to see if it can help with my unending tiredness, which my doctor doesn't seem too concerned about. So to those who have tried it, what has been your experience? How much did you/do you take? Do you space doses throughout the day? Are there any known interactions with meds?

Thanks,
BM

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
Re: Coenzyme Q10
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 11:15:58 am »
I take 200 mgs of CoQ10 daily, along with 400 mgs of alpha lipoic acid and 1,000 mgs of L-carnitine.

I am hoping this will help repair some of the damage done by more than a decade on the old meds, but I have no idea if it will.

I do seem to have more energy than I had in the past and my brain seems less foggy than before.

All of this could be a placebo effect, but I think it does help. I have been taking these supplements, along with a multivitamin and a few other supplements, for nearly a year now.

My doctor checked and found no contraindiations with my meds.

Here are a few links with some information:

http://www.poz.com/articles/181_971.shtml

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/coenzyme-q10/NS_patient-coenzymeq10/DSECTION=evidence

Hope this helps,

Mark
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 12:13:30 am by aztecan »
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 06:35:38 pm »
Hi,

I still take C0Q10, and have for quite a while.  I take the 150 mg daily. I also take Aceytl L- Carnitine and the Alpha lipoic Acid, in a one capsule combination.

Acetyl L Carnitine (400mg) ,  and ALA (200 mg)

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline BM

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 08:58:57 pm »
I've been on the Q10 for three days and my energy levels are much improved; it's quite amazing! I will mention this to my doctor next time I see him.

Is Q10 something that can be prescribed? It's very expensive in the UK.

Offline veritas

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 08:58:26 am »
BM,

I don't know about the UK, but here in the US it is a supplement (OTC).

"Coenzyme Q10 is sold in the US as a dietary supplement.The Q and the 10 in coenzyme Q10 refer to parts of the compound's chemical structure. It is also known as CoQ10, Q10, vitamin Q10, ubiquinone, or ubidecarenone."

http://www.medterms.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=34440

Perhaps someone in the UK can clarify. Your right though, it is expensive.

v

PS: Here's a link from the UK that might help with your research: http://www.patient.co.uk/doctor/Coenzyme-Q10.htm
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 09:05:48 am by veritas »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.