Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 09:51:06 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773280
  • Total Topics: 66347
  • Online Today: 387
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 317
Total: 317

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Budwig Diet  (Read 9572 times)

Offline PILO

• Follow me on twitter: @PILOSOPOZ
Budwig Diet
« on: November 17, 2016, 12:35:22 am »
Hello! It's nice to be back. I saw POZ.com has na nifty new layout. <3

After being hospitalized last year because of colon inflammation and getting diagnosed  as poz, I went back to my gastro doctor yesterday to conduct some follow-up check-up.

He mentioned to me that maybe I should try the Budwig Diet. Anyone here on that diet? How has it worked out for you? :)
Seroposotive / Aug 2015 / 3TC-AZT-LPV/r+RTV / Usually shady, occasionally j3je, but never basic / Gay-ming, design, the great outdoors, and pop kooltyur / INFP @PILOSOPOZ

Offline Skydrake

Re: Budwig Diet
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2016, 01:52:16 am »
In that case, you need to add Omega-3.

The Immune hyperactivation (a disease of the complex inflamnatory type) is associated as a substantial increasing in the morbidity and mortality of POZ+ individuals.

Diets with high levels of vegetarian fatty acids (vegan diet, Budwig diet, etc.), even in seronegative people, are associated with diseases of the complex inflammatory type:

http://mbe.oxfordjournals.org/content/early/2016/03/09/molbev.msw049.full.pdf+html

Divulgative article:
https://www.google.it/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=/amp/www.healthaim.com/long-term-vegan-diet-lead-heart-disease-cancer/49297/amp&ved=0ahUKEwiz66LSmq_QAhVGbRQKHVnaCwUQFgg0MAU&usg=AFQjCNG2wgfLb5B0wCN6-l0aRhZZcYTtnQ&sig2=iW8cz1it9KrKK2A2hrPv8Q
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 01:58:08 am by Skydrake »

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2016, 04:52:52 pm »
An M.D. recommended that, in what country?  Seems flakey to me.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline harleymc

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2016, 07:33:25 pm »
The thinking behind the Budwig diet sounds flakey
"The Budwig diet appears to allow cancer cells to start breathing again." Why we'd want cancerous cells to kick into overdrive is a mystery to me.

For what it's worth we have no shortage of electrons in any sort of diet.

I eat about 40g of linseed per day in my breakfast cereal, but I use complete pulverized linseed, to gain the oils, protein and fibre rather than use just the oil.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2016, 02:23:45 am »
The Budwig diet...

Look I saw the topic start and have been hesitant to post but i will and i will start by wishing you well and if your doing this good luck and that you feel better soon. 

My personal word of caution is not to expect long term miracle results and to drink plenty of fluids as just eating this can cause obstructions.  Also to consult your HIV doc and let them know. 

The Budwig diet rubs me the wrong way as its surrounded by so many false health claims and bogus or very poor observational studies.

To start with the concept is eating flaxseed mixed with cottage cheese or milk, was it was believed in the 1950's by just eating this it would could stop cancers growing. There really is no reliable scientific evidence to show this and some studies have since than found that fat in flaxseeds, ALA, actually may make some tumors more aggressive.

There have been small trials in men, who where being treated for prostate cancer and to see if flaxseed oil during that time would aid conventional treatment by reducing testosterone however it was only a limited and a small trial and results were so/so and needed follow-up to see if flaxseed oil helps at all for that specific treatment type. Also diets were not restricted as it is with Budwig diet.

Also just limiting yourself to 1 or 2 food types for ever? (flaxseed mixed with cottage cheese and avoiding salt, sugar, meat, butter, margarine, cows milk and oil) because that is the true Budwig diet and denying other underlying nutritional needs is not something generally recommended for people with long term medical conditions or the general population to my knowledge. The sugar part sure but some of the other things ...

Anyhow do hope you do feel better soon and find a diet that works for you and is well balanced enough to meet your needs.

Jim

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/craig-cooper/fish-oil-benefits-_b_832661.html
Nice summary piece on under "Flaxseed and Flaxseed Oil"

Saarinen NM, Tuominen J, Pylkkanen L, Santti R. Assessment of information to substantiate a health claim on the prevention of prostate cancer by lignans. Nutrients. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22254011

Ward HA, et al. Breast, colorectal, and prostate cancer risk in the European Prospective Investigation into cancer and nutrition- Norfolk in relation to phytoestrogen intake derived from an improved database. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20007303

Azrad M, Vollmer RT, Madden J, Dewhirst M, Polascik TJ, Snyder DC, Ruffin MT, Moul JW, Brenner DE, Demark-Wahnefried W. Flaxseed-derived enterolactone is inversely associated with tumor cell proliferation in men with localized prostate cancer. J Med Food. 2013;16(4):357-60.

Denmark-Wahnefried W, et al. Flaxseed supplementation (not dietary fat restriction) reduces prostate cancer proliferation rates in men presurgery. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2008;17(12):3577-3587.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 02:35:08 am by JimDublin »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline puxcca

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2017, 12:05:03 pm »
Hey guys,

I have been taking a variation of the budwig cream for some years now. I must say i am quite happy with it, although i cannot say or estimate its impact (i´m ok, but i also do other stuff, besides HAART - ozone, mushrooms - turkey tail -, omega 3 (EPA, DHA). And a green smoothie as well.

Anyway, it is a good start, i believe, to get a good deal of nutrients throughout the day. I usually use nutritionself.data.com (don´t want to advertise it - don´t even think i can do it here -  but it´s probably the best site to check your nutrients).

So my basic budwig cream goes like this:

- a glass of milk (rice, almond, oat)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, cold pressed (flaxseed, mainly)
- 1/2 a lemon juice
- 1 banana (organic)
- 1 fruit (apple, pear, açaí berries, acerola (in portuguese), peach
- 1 cup of berries
- 30 g of pulverized flaxseed or 30 g of soaked chia seeds
- 30 g of pulverized gluten free cereals (gluten free oat, etc.)

I know it sounds a lot of trouble, but if you have the right gadgets, it only takes up 5 minutes of your time to do it.

This is not enough, though. Fish, green smoothies, the right vegetables etc. all work good for me.

:D :D :D

Offline PILO

• Follow me on twitter: @PILOSOPOZ
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2018, 09:43:33 am »
Wow. I realize I haven't been here for almost a year!

So as an update, I've tried doing a Budwig, but gave up after a few days because I knew I had to get my other nutrients somewhere else.

I've wanted to lose fat around my gut badly and I tried fasting. It works well for me (for now).

Thanks guys for the replies!
Seroposotive / Aug 2015 / 3TC-AZT-LPV/r+RTV / Usually shady, occasionally j3je, but never basic / Gay-ming, design, the great outdoors, and pop kooltyur / INFP @PILOSOPOZ

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.