Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:55:32 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 388
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 363
Total: 363

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Severe Symptoms  (Read 8262 times)

Offline Trev13Ire

Severe Symptoms
« on: May 20, 2014, 07:01:37 pm »
Hi all, I was diagnosed positive on 13 May with a referral to a hospital. I am now waiting for an appointment. My last test was in 2007 and I know for sure I didn't become positive in the last year, so I've had this quite a long time I reckon.

I have a condition called achalasia the last twenty years and this means that the bottom of my oesophagus closes up tight and it's hard for me to swallow food. After my last operation in 2004 I have been okay until 2 months ago when the symptoms got really bad. I have had 2 procedures in recent weeks to try and correct it and they haven't lasted. I don't want to go back for another procedure because now I think it is because of the HIV.

I also have trush on the back of my tongue, a rash just below my belly which gets really itchy from time to time (it was also on my penis but seems to have cleared now) and I keep feeling itchy on my face, head and legs. I am tired all the time which I put down to the achalasia but now I'm not so sure!

I'm just wondering if any of you have/had these symptoms and do you know if they will clear up once I start treatment? I fear I won't be starting treatment for awhile because I'm waiting to hear from hospital and then I reckon they'll have to take blood tests to first see how low my CD4 count is...

Any and all replys are greatly appreciated  :) Thanks

Offline AusShep

Re: Severe Symptoms
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 07:59:51 pm »
The thrush and skin conditions can be from a variety of causes including HIV.  Your doctor will need to determine their cause. 

The symptoms will usually improve as your CD4 count improves on meds if they're due to your immune system, but in the US doctors would normally prescribe an anti-fungal for the thrush, and possibly something for the rashes, itching, flaking skin depending on how severe it is to help with the symptoms as your immune system improves.

Not sure what country you're in.  Can you get in to see a regular or infectios disease doctor, or do you need to wait for a hospital appointment?

Offline Trev13Ire

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 08:20:30 pm »
Thanks for the reply AusShep. I am living in Ireland. I have seen my GP in regards to trush and rash. The trush I have had for longer and nothing he prescribes is making it better. As for the rash, he refused to prescribe anything for it and told me to get blood tests in a clinic which is how I found out I'm pos. I told him my status and he said he'd rather let the hospital decide what to do about the rash.

Offline Almost2late

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2014, 02:25:04 pm »
Hi Trev,

Sorry to hear of your diagnoses but glad you found this forum, many people here are very well informed with HIV issues.. My name is Frank and I was diagnosed only 4 months ago with low cd4's 13 and once I started meds, I began to feel so much better but it did take some time.. I had PCP and KS and was itchy all the time.. now I am still recovering but out of the hospital and on hiv meds.. It really is amazing how well these medications work, my cd4's are now 184 which is a whole lot better.. I can not advise you on anything since I'm pretty new with hiv knowledge but can tell you that lots of people on this site have alot of experience and will help you like they did me.. I truly hope you feel better soon and best of luck.

Frank

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2014, 02:37:44 pm »
Hi Trev and welcome to the forums . Im sure others will come by to welcome you and share their story . Many of the itchy skin conditions will resolve pretty quickly when you start treatment or treat the conditions ... so please let us know how you are doing with an update when you get the chance .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Trev13Ire

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2014, 06:16:33 pm »
Thanks a lot guys! I've been to see the Infectious Disease Doctor and he told me that all my symptoms are HIV related. It may sound weird but I was really relieved to hear that and I understand when I start treatment all the symptoms will disappear. He explained that because I am so slim and because of the symptoms I'm experiencing that my CD4 count is most definitely very low. The last time I was tested was 2007 so I could have had HIV a very long time.

Just knowing why I've been sick for the last few months is such a relief and I'm so glad I went to get tested and didn't spend another year wondering what the hell was going on with my body. Though, if I had gotten tested every year like I'd planned to I would have known I had it before the symptoms got so severe so I've only myself to blame really.

Anyway, doctor has really put my mind at ease. I'm back in two weeks for my blood test results and to start treatment and then to start feeling well again.  :P

Offline Trev13Ire

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2014, 06:23:44 pm »
Hi Trev,

Sorry to hear of your diagnoses but glad you found this forum, many people here are very well informed with HIV issues.. My name is Frank and I was diagnosed only 4 months ago with low cd4's 13 and once I started meds, I began to feel so much better but it did take some time.. I had PCP and KS and was itchy all the time.. now I am still recovering but out of the hospital and on hiv meds.. It really is amazing how well these medications work, my cd4's are now 184 which is a whole lot better.. I can not advise you on anything since I'm pretty new with hiv knowledge but can tell you that lots of people on this site have alot of experience and will help you like they did me.. I truly hope you feel better soon and best of luck.

Frank

Not sure if I'm reading correctly, you had a CD4 count of 13? You have obviously been really sick! I'm really sorry but so glad you are feeling a lot better now. Did you notice any side effects from the meds or anything?

Offline 2tcells

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2014, 01:44:39 am »
I had all the same symptoms as you itching in all the same spots, dry red flaky skin rashs on scalp, beard area, sides of nose, eye lids, eye brows,back of ears, and my whole private area very itch that started a year before I found out I was poz. Then a cough that stuck around for a month at least. Felt like there was a lump in my throat that I could swallow past, very bad trush that would come back every day, lost lots of weight from no appetite plus vomiting and diarrhea couldnt hold any food down for about 2 months before diagnosis. Very tried that went from mild to severe over a couple years. Ended in the hospital thinking I was dieing. Had cd4 of 2 and after I got on meds it was only 2 or 3 weeks before I felt a million times better I could eat had energy all the symptoms went away except for the rashs took awhile to stop now I only have red skin on my mustache area but it dosnt itch im comming up on a year in july
7-4-13 diagnosed   cd4- 2      vl-220,600
8-3-13                     cd4- 4      vl- 448
9-3-13                     cd4- 40    vl- ud
11-3-13                   cd4- 54    vl-ud
1-9-14                     cd4- 62    vl- 43
4-3-14                     cd4- 110  vl-ud
8-5-14                     cd4- 95    vl-ud
9-23-14                   cd4- 97    vl-ud
1-22-15                   cd4- 156  vl-ud
4-14-15                   cd4- 122  vl-ud
6-12-15                   cd4- 148  vl-?
8-15-15 start stribild
9-3-15                     cd4- 152 vl-ud
11-25-15                  cd4- 211 vl-20
2-17-16                   cd-4 194 vl-ud
4-1-16 start genvoya
5-10-16                   cd-4 220 vl-ud
9-19-16                   cd-4 182 vl-ud
12-2016                  cd-4  267!vl-ud
2018 cd4 187 switching meds

Offline Almost2late

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2014, 10:25:22 pm »
Hi Trev, yes thats right 13 cd4's and Mr. 2t's had 2 cd4's, I know someone here on the forum who had "0" cd4's and now is doing quite well.

And I just recently started having problems with my medication but until I see a doctor I'll keep taking them, I ve never missed a dose, it's my lifeboat in this sea of hiv  ;) at least till I get another better boat.

I hope your test come back with some good numbers but if not remember many here have been there and worst and come back fine, wish you the best my friend.

Offline Trev13Ire

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2014, 10:53:51 am »
Thanks 2tcells and Almost2late. You have both had a really bad time but thank god for medication! I hope to start medication really soon. I'll post up my stats as soon as I get them.

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2014, 05:26:55 pm »
Welcome
Completely understand the relief that can be gained from a diagnosis. Plus your GP sounds sensible , hope all goes well.
m
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline zach

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2014, 07:52:23 pm »
good stuff here. you guys hold it together, gonna be fine

welcome to all of you recently dx'd

Offline Peterdenmark

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2014, 12:58:18 pm »
I just want to wish u the best of luck to u.
The best advice I can give u is to be adherrent to yr meds, and have a healthy lifestyle.

A year ago I too was diagnosed, cd4 was zero, and I was in intensive care for 5 weeks - " almost kissed the coffin" but now Im doing great :-)

Warm thoughts to you from small Denmark

Hugs

Peter

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.