Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 21, 2024, 10:00:55 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773545
  • Total Topics: 66384
  • Online Today: 390
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 278
Total: 278

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Thoughts on animals.  (Read 6850 times)

Offline Mouse

• Om nom nom.
Thoughts on animals.
« on: June 02, 2006, 03:34:13 am »
I dunno where people here stand on animal rights and stuff. Everyone here knows I'm obsessed with animals but I'm not one of the unreasonable crazy animal rights activist people. I understand where everything fits into place, but there are a couple things that have been on my mind lately.

I don't follow horse racing, but I like horses, and most people know about Barbaro's breakdown recently. It's brought up a lot of old thoughts and concerns with horse racing in general. While I don't think there is anything generally wrong with racing horses (as horses, being horses, they live to run) but the fact that a lot of the time the horses are overworked and a lot of the things they have them do are unsafe and just kind of foreshadow the fact that a lot of horses are going to breakdown in a race.

http://sports.aol.com/horseracing/story/_a/barbaros-breakdown-a-cruel-blow/20060520205009990001

Some people might remember Go For Wand's breakdown in 1990. I was born in 1990 so I don't remember it. -.-;. But it's spoken about often and it brings to people's attention how horrifying the injuries can be.

http://www.angelfire.com/realm2/classical0/gfw.html
(Pretty graphic.)

Anyways, I dunno what I'm getting at. Just that a lot of things that people take for granted everyday in society's involvement with animals isn't as safe as people thought it was. The most common example is the meat industry, but since that's what everyone talks about and people think it's typical crazy hippie pot smoking animal rights activist territory so I decided to concentrate a bit on horse racing.

Something a lot of people are just coming to be aware of though is how crazy PETA is. I'm sick of people using PETA as representitive of all people concerned about animal welfare. They are known to lie, cheat and steal to get their (often unfounded and false) stories across. It's sickening because of how extremeist they are, they get people to think ALL people concerned about animal welfare are crazy, and it pushes the entire cause back.

For example crazy 'animal rights' activists believe any explotation of animals is immoral. Without taking into consideration the fact that domesticated animals need human care because they were bred over many many years to have that need so that humans could own them. In order to end animals needing human care, pets would need to wiped off the face of the earth altogether or we'd wind up with a shitload of strays and babies all over the streets because domesticated animals have no more natural instinct on breeding and when enough is enough because humans have controlled their reproduction for so long.

So, there is a line. My animals depend on me and I do my best to care for them because that's what they do deserve.

Also, rats, mice and birds are not protected under the Animal Welfare Act in the US. Which, certainly, testing to a degree is understandable when it's for the good of people. But. This is where I draw the line -
 - Cosmetics should NOT be tested on animals. People's vanity isn't worth anything's life.
 - Animal testing is only reasonable when it's used to encourage medical discoveries and save people's lives or improve people's quality of life. So, it's stupid to test shit on animals that may improve like, a chronic runny nose or something.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 03:38:53 am by Mouse »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.