Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:49:42 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773225
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 610
Total: 610

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: osteoporosis & infection off lower jaw bone  (Read 8347 times)

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
osteoporosis & infection off lower jaw bone
« on: January 11, 2010, 11:23:52 am »
Have just returned from Dental Hos with the news that my lower Jaw has "marked " signs off osteoporosis and that their is "considerable evidence "off infection pockets. This was at a Dental Hos and I am being referred by the examining dentist to his consultant.
I would be very gratefull to Have any info from experience regarding the above .
I have been diagnosed with Osteo for 8 years + and am having a Bone Mineral Density scan 1 st week off Feb, have been taking Alendronic Acid 10 mg daily for that time.
Many Thanks.......mhtv
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline AndyArrow

Re: osteoporosis & infection off lower jaw bone
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 12:45:17 pm »
Theyer,

I'm sorry I have no experience with this but I just wanted you to know that I'm thinking about you and will be sending positive energy your way.  Please, let us know what you find out.

Good Luck!
AA
It is not the arrival that matters.  It is the journey along the way. -- Michel Montaigne

Offline smalltown66

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 03:56:46 pm »
Hey theyer,

Im so sorry to hear you have been going through alot with the osteoporosis. Its something I am battling too. Osteoporosis in the jawbone! Damn that must be painful. I hope the docs get you alll straightened out and feeling better. Keep us all informed.

Blessings to ya!

Smalltown
Lifting the weight of the world sure is easier with others with the same goal.

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 10:55:16 pm »
Hey Theyer,

No personal experience with osteoporosis. I just wanted you to know you are in my daily thoughts.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline veritas

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 05:02:09 am »

Theyer,

I also, do not have first hand experience, however, these links might help and give you something to discuss with your dr:

http://dentistry.about.com/od/toothmouthconditions/a/Osteonecrosis.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alendronic_acid

Evidently, Alendronic acid can cause this problem. However, speak to your dr before taking any action.

Let us know and good luck.

v

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2010, 04:40:28 pm »
many thanks  everybody
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline red_Dragon888

• Love and Be Love in Return
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2010, 03:46:43 pm »
My problem is in the hips and I try to keep up on the latest news on adult stem cells and hip treatement.  this site maybe helpful and useful.

http://www.regenexx.com/the-regenexx-procedure-explained/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=I3ba3lnFHik

Off Crystal Meth since May 13, 2013.  In recovery with 20 months clean time.

Offline ChefDD

• White Whisker Cook (aka. ChefDD)
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2010, 10:46:06 am »
I currently have osteoporosis in my hips but no jaw problems now. The meds given for Bone Mineral Density problems like the biophosphonates (no sure of the spelling) like Actonel, Fosamax etc.  have a rare side effect of JAW BONE PROBLEMS!. My dentist and Infectious Disease drs were both aware of the correlation. My doctor said as soon as I start having dental problems alert her to the fact. I am sending positive thoughts your way. HIV since 1986 meds since 1988.
ChefDD
ChefDD ( White Whisker )

Offline robsurmer

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2010, 06:45:44 am »
Hi Theyer,
Sorry to hear about your problems- I was put on Alendronic acid 70mg once per week in May 2009. When I was first diagnosed I went on line immediately as I have experience of my doctors in the UK being totally unaware of the side effects of the drugs they prescribe. I read that if you take it for more than 3 years you are likely to experience necrosis in the jaw bone which sounds like what you are experiencing. I told my General Practicioner (family doctor) about this as he is the actual person who writes the prescription even though it was the hospital endocrinologist who initially suggested I take it after a DEXA scan showed that my osteopenia had become border-line osteoporosis. He confirmed what I had read as something they had noticed in old women in their eighties on a regular basis. He assured me I would not take it that long and has suggested I take a calcium supplement called ADCal which I take once a day. My G.P. prescribing is just a funding issue but in my experience (23 years) of dealing with HIV associated health professionals you need to question and double check everything they tell you and give you. My partner was given the drug Kaletra two years ago and while extremely effective in his combination (CD4-985/Undetectable viral load) he has been left with very hard to control high blood pressure, a side effect our consultant was completely unaware of. Of course his results are great especially after having had no detectable CD4 count for a couple of years in the early nineties along with every OI you can think of but it would be a terrible irony for him to survive HIV to be taken by an avoidable heart attack. As he is 68 this year these concerns are real, but at the moment with such good results he is reluctant to change. He has seen my change to the new combination of Isentress,Intelence and Prezista boosted by Norvir + 3TC and has seen my lipodystrophy get considerably worse. I now need my face to be filled again (for the third time) something I hoped I would never have to do again (it's f***ing painful) and it has been annoying as I was sold on this combination change as a way to reduce side effects!! I just ended up with other side effects, just as difficult to deal with. On the up side the NHS here pays for the face-fill and has done for the last ten years but still I cringe at the thought of going through it again but I know I will for my self- esteem and public anonymity. Yeah I know, pathetic..... take care and positive thoughts from the UK Theyer

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.