Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 03:38:52 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773294
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 701
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 671
Total: 673

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: blood viens in legs are getting huge!!!!!  (Read 4184 times)

Offline guynsotulsa

• poz since Jan 2007
blood viens in legs are getting huge!!!!!
« on: March 09, 2009, 08:30:40 pm »
Hey

Does anyone know what is causing the veins in my legs to grow(appear)... I am on Kaletra, Viread, and Retrovir!!!! If i change my Cocktail will this go away or is this something i am stuck with... does anyone know which one of the listed drugs might be causing this? Please help looks nasty...LOL

Thanks a Ton!!!
If its to be??? Its up to me!!!

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Re: blood viens in legs are getting huge!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 08:39:11 pm »
Sounds like the beginnings of lipoatrophy where one loses the thin layer of fat directly under the skin -- are you seeing veins in your forearms yet as well?  The NRTI class of drugs, which includes Retrovir (AZT) and Viread, could be the cause.  Some patients are just more prone to this side effect for genetic reasons than others, and most HIV drug regimens are going to contain an NRTI so in the long run it's difficult to avoid this entire class of medication.

"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline guynsotulsa

• poz since Jan 2007
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 08:46:40 pm »
i am noticing the viens in my arms as well... so is there nothing i can do?
If its to be??? Its up to me!!!

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 10:27:04 pm »
It's basically a metabolic dysfunction in your cells which is effecting how fat is dispersed in your body.  It's not particularly reversible, though since you're catching it when it first starts perhaps switching to something else might keep it from getting worse.  I assume that you're not noticing fat loss in your face, specifically your cheeks?  If you're like me, I got it in my limbs like you before it appeared in my face, but I also believe that this process involves a bit of "lag time" but I'm not sure how much as it would surely vary from one person to another.

I see that you were only diagnosed 2 years ago but that this current regimen is already your second one?  Is that correct?  Depending on how willing your doctor is to work with you it's certainly within reason to request that he consider and present other options to you, but like I said most med regimens are going to have an NRTI, and of course any mutation issues complicate regimen switches.

The one thing I will advise, certainly having experienced all of this over the course of the past 10 years (and indeed I was your exact age at that time) is that this can effect your mental state way out of proportion to what other people notice in your physical changes, depending on how much lipo there is.  I seriously doubt that at this point anyone is noticing anything, so I only say this to hopefully keep your mind a bit level. 
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 07:40:08 pm »
While it's true that NRTI's in general have been implicated with lipoatrophy, some NRTIs have been implicated more than others, namely the ones categorized as "thymidine analogs," (AZT and Zerit).  In your case Retrovir (AZT), being a thymidine analog, would be of more concern than the Viread. If you have a good doctor, he/she should be familiar with these findings and, depending on your resistance profile, should be able to prescribe something more "fat friendly" to replace the Retrovir.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 07:48:04 pm by Inchlingblue »

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 08:34:30 pm »
As a sort of amusing side issue, I have had this condition for some time..( diagnosed in 1994) but recently  had a new "trainer" and the gym ask  how I got my body fat down so low.....he couldn't use his calipers to measure me.....not enough fat there...  I just told him I had a genetic condition that kept my fat very low...He sort of admired the "ripped look"...I just ignore that  since I am sort of a skinny guy  with minimum "gym body"   so look on the good side   the gym guys will think you are doing something special...keep your "secret"  and let them wonder...

Nick
remember the good times...honor the past but don't live there
Le stelle la notte sono grandie luminose, nel cuore profondo del Texas

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.