Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 05:20:52 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 230
Total: 231

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Charlie Sheen : HIV Activist :-)  (Read 3465 times)

Offline Almost2late

Charlie Sheen : HIV Activist :-)
« on: May 20, 2017, 10:06:34 am »
This really did surprise me.. I never hated him, just thought he was a bit over the top but if his disclosure and the way he chose to disclose caused so many to get tested, well I gotta give credit where it's due.. Nice going Charlie  ;)

.They're calling it the "Sheen Effect."

The week actor Charlie Sheen went on NBC's "Today" show to confirm rumors that he was HIV-positive, sales of at-home test kits for the virus rose 95%.

That's according to a new study from researchers at the University of Southern California and San Diego State University, which also found that the kits continued to sell at higher rates than expected for a month after the announcement.

While they can't say for sure that Sheen's disclosure caused the rise in sales of the test kits, the bump they observed was record-setting.

"In total, there were 8,225 more sales than expected around Sheen's disclosure, surpassing World AIDS Day by a factor of about 7," the researchers write in their paper.

In November 2015, Sheen appeared on NBC's "Today" show to disclose his positive status.

"I'm here to admit that I am HIV-positive," he said.

Sheen's physician, UCLA assistant professor of clinical medicine Robert Huizenga, also appeared on the show at the time, generating some confusion when he said that Sheen's HIV was "undetectable" in his blood - a proclamation that led some to believe the actor had been "cured." In reality, Sheen's HIV had simply been reduced to an undetectable level thanks to treatment with a powerful three-drug cocktail known as antiretroviral therapy (ART).

As far as current reports are concerned, Sheen does not have AIDS, a condition that can develop when the HIV virus has dramatically suppressed the immune system to the point where someone is highly susceptible to infections and rare types of cancer.

Sheen maintained at the time that he told all of his partners of his HIV status, adding that many threatened to blackmail him for a sum totaling "into the millions."

The actor said in 2015 he learned he had HIV in 2011 after suffering from extreme migraines and "sweating the bed." Thinking he might have a brain tumor, he was hospitalized. But after numerous tests, doctors confirmed he had HIV. One of the reasons HIV can go long periods before being diagnosed is that its earliest symptoms can mirror those of the flu - many people experience a fever, muscle aches, sore throat, and swollen glands.

The only way to know for sure whether you have HIV is to get tested.

While there are plenty of places to get tested for free, fear, stigma, and other socioeconomic barriers can prevent many from doing so. Today, one in eight of the 1.2 million Americans living with human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) does not know they are positive.

For their study, the researchers analyzed two years of sales data for HIV test kit OraQuick, the only fast-acting at-home kit available in the US. They then compared those sales data against data from the same time period in years before and after.

What they found was astounding: Not only had sales increased 95% the week of Sheen's disclosure, they also stayed relatively high for the four following weeks.

It's well-known that celebrities influence our behavior. Yet when it comes to health, it's often not for the better. From splurging $200 on a breakfast smoothie infused with something called "moon dust" (looking at you, Gwyneth Paltrow) to subsisting on 14 jars of baby food in an attempt to lose weight (sorry, Reese Witherspoon), celebrities' decisions about health can frequently be misguided at best.

So it's promising to see public figures potentially affecting health in a positive direction, the researchers write.

"Our new findings reinforce how celebrity can impact health decision-making," they write, "and make an even stronger case that Sheen's disclosure promoted HIV prevention, thanks to the availability of rapid in-home HIV testing."

http://www.businessinsider.com/charlie-sheen-effect-hiv-test-home-2017-5
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 10:10:29 am by Almost2late »

Offline CaveyUK

• Global Moderator
Re: Charlie Sheen : HIV Activist :-)
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2017, 05:24:14 pm »
I saw this too. I assume it wasn't just Sheen himself but that the whole U=U message was pushed around this time that helped. His UD status was reported pretty widely and as we know, it's one of the most surprising things to casual onlookers.

HIV - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here:
PEP and PrEP

Offline Almost2late

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 08:35:52 am »
Maybe a combination of the two? To be honest, I never heard of U =U.. had to Google it.. I do know that here in the US, all I heard about at work was Sheen's disclosure, everyone was talking about it..
So I'm pretty sure he helped with the increase in testing at least here in the US.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 10:55:54 am »
Testing and breaking the media "silence".

The number of news stories in the year he came out so to speak on HIV were the highest in many years. Its good as it becomes a topic again that people talk about.
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Almost2late

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 09:45:27 pm »
I know it's tabloid news but this is a good thing.. once again breaking the media silence and educating people..
Charlie Sheen's new girlfriend Julia Stambler, 26, 'isn't living in fear of the actor's HIV'... after being left hurt by her friends' stark warnings

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-4593152/Charlie-Sheen-girlfriend-Julia-Stambler-not-scared-HIV.html

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.